A New Monster Beariger/tibear Updated 21/09/2013

Should bears be added?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

UPDATED 21/09/2013

DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE YOUR ALL IMPORTANT VOTE. THANKS.

Thanks for all the awesome responses. Here are my alterations. This is for the vanilla game. NOT A MOD.

Name Beariger or Tibear

Essentially a grizzly bear fused with a tiger. Thick mane with saber toothed teeth. Dark brown in colour with dark orange stripes on its back. Similar in size to a clockwork rook.

Monster is found in forest biomes, especially where there are naturally spawned bee hives. This will be their main food source. Bearigers/Tibears do not destroy bee hives or player created bee boxes. They simply "empty" what ever honey was made. Similar to how Gobbles work.

A good indication that these monsters are close by, are claw markings on trees. These are territorial monsters and any marked trees will indicate bears will spawn in this area. Obviously not every tree will easily be seen showing claw marks, so adjusting the camera angle will prove useful if you wish to proceed to an area full of trees.

Bearigers/Tibears will spawn from large hollow logs. These will either work similar to how spider dens work, except with 2 stages. 1st stage spawns an adult Beariger/Tibear. Finally the second stage will spawn one adult and one cub. During winter bears do not spawn. And any cub alive from summer will become an adult by next summer. Each summer a new cub is born.

These monsters are fearful of fire. So any form of fire will keep bears away.

Bearigers/Tibears drop 2 meat, 1 beariger/tibear claw and 1 beariger/tibear fur. Bear claws are used to make new traps resembling bear traps and the fur is used to make new a new hat and coat, which not only insulates during winter but also acts the same way as an umbrella during rain.

Bearigers/Tibears attack similar to clockwork rooks, and at close range they stand up on two legs to attack similar to pigs.

Deals 50% more damage to pigs. Tooth traps deal 50% less damage to Bearigers/Tibears. Bees do not attack these monsters. This is important as I know some of you have said that killing bears would be a piece of cake if you surround a Beariger/Tibear home with pig homes or tooth traps. And seeing as these monsters live off honey, they naturally are resistant to bee attacks. So bees don't bother to attack them.

Spawns during the day and goes back to its hollow trunk at dusk to sleep.

If you are south of Beariger/Tibear it will not notice you. if you are south of it, it will not see you. Similar to how beefalo behave, if you get too close it will become more alert. This will add some use to the compass if you are wanting to hunt one.

PREVIOUS SUGGESTION:

We now have basically every logical type of monster that a survival game such as Don't Starve needs. However there is one monster that needs to be added to complete the set of monsters in this game. And that is a bear.

Bears can pose a threat in any biome. Predominantly they are found in forest biomes or anywhere there are bee hives. Smashing up bee hives after dealing with bees is very simple. Bears near to one will guard it as it is there source of food also. Having your own bee farm is a great and easy way to produce infinite amounts of honey and bees. With the addition of bears your bee farm is never safe as it will draw in wandering bears which will attempt to get to all that honey.

In forest biomes any trees "marked" by a bear will also be guarded and attempting to chop one will cause a bear close by to attack. Any acorns left lying around will be eaten by bears. They are neutral monsters, however if you get too close first they will warn you, if you do not back away they will attack.

Winter will spawn white bears, who will attack pengulls. So anywhere pengulls are active a white bear will be close by.

Bears will be called Big Grizzly: hp 250, damage 35

White Bears will be called Big Chilly: hp 250, damage 30 but chance to freeze you.

If we are frozen we remain frozen for a few seconds but this also causes the bear to stop attacking as it thinks we are dead.

As a mod, alright. In the vanilla game, it just doesn't fit with all the crazy stuff there is.

Sorry but I disagree. You can't say it won't fit. We have monkeys, penguins, walrus, hounds, spiders, beefalo, pigs, bees and a whole lot of crazy other monsters. There is no type of monster this game cannot have. The most logical type of monster to be added in this game should be a bear. If monkeys were added I don't see how a bear would be out of place. We need something that will make having a constant supply of honey a challenge. Not only that but the only real frequent monster that we encounter above ground are spiders. With bears it will add a whole new challenge and add to the diversity of monsters we frequently encounter.

You've definitely got a point.  But take another look.  We have animals ​based on those things.  The rabbits have horns.  The monkeys have razor sharp teeth and turn into shadow monsters.   The walruses are Scottish nobleman hunters with fancy hats.  Put a bit more imagination into what the bear can do, and what it looks like, and I'll fully support this idea. 

You've definitely got a point.  But take another look.  We have animals ​based on those things.  The rabbits have horns.  The monkeys have razor sharp teeth and turn into shadow monsters.   The walruses are Scottish nobleman hunters with fancy hats.  Put a bit more imagination into what the bear can do, and what it looks like, and I'll fully support this idea.

More thought....no problem. But it will take some research. I'll edit my op once I get some more ideas together that will definitely change your mind. Shame you already voted :(

More thought....no problem. But it will take some research. I'll edit my op once I get some more ideas together that will definitely change your mind. Shame you already voted :(

Thanks for the effort!  And as for the voting,  I can delete my choice for now.

Thanks for the effort!  And as for the voting,  I can delete my choice for now.

It's not a problem. I feel very strongly about this idea. It was my fault I did not put more effort into my idea first time. It is very difficult typing on a phone when making constant edits however. Still it will be a pleasure :)

the bears were in the concept art of ds... maybe they discard the idea, but i like that...but unfortunatly they are not so much creepy for a game like ds... so probably they've never going to fit in the game... btw good idea for a mod

sorry for bade english

What I have in plan will make them fit in very well and make them "creepy." Just give me a little time to think about the specifics. It is simple but I want to make sure it's good. By the way these new monsters will resemble bears but won't exactly look like one. What I have now is a basic idea and I wanted to see who was interested. Based off the comments so far I have some work to do :)

I don't agree with this interpretation of a new monster.

So basically what you're saying is you will have bears - who most likely will drop meat along other random stuff - come non stop to my bee houses stepping on my traps and giving me free meat without me having to do any hunting at all.

Or when I go chop trees with my piggy party, a bear or more will decide to also replenish my food supplies :)

I don't agree with this interpretation of a new monster.

So basically what you're saying is you will have bears - who most likely will drop meat along other random stuff - come non stop to my bee houses stepping on my traps and giving me free meat without me having to do any hunting at all.

Or when I go chop trees with my piggy party, a bear or more will decide to also replenish my food supplies :)

You will need more than one trap to fell this monster. However all current traps have reduced damage. Bees deal minimal damage and tooth traps damage are reduced by half. A new type of trap will be required in order to "hurt" it. Think along the lines of a bear trap.

Who said anything about bears spawning during the day? :)

It's still just something artificial, as soon as you plant some bunny huts bears will become non existant as a threat to your honey (unless you make bunny men ignore the bears, which will lead peeps to completely enclose their bee hives within several layers of walls with a tiny corridor filled with traps, even if a trap would deal only 10 dmg to a bear, not hard to force him walk past 30+ etc).

If more monsters are to be added, they need some fun mechanics, something to distinguish them from already existent ones, w/o making it a chore (false difficulty or just annoyance) to the player (like your tree marks, so you would have to rotate map in all degrees to make sure the tree you want to chop isn't marked, but sometimes the view is blocked etc).

Surface world is already heavy populated and has a wild variance, I'd like more stuff added in caves / ruins and maybe a better spread of various fauna within ruins (so far balls of terror roam near lakes in my game with no other creatures nearby, chess pieces are near statues / altars, monkeys only spawn near bananas, and spiders spawn everywhere but unlike normal cave spiders or surface ones, they are never a threat unless you step on the webbing to activate them - which isn't hard).

It's still just something artificial, as soon as you plant some bunny huts bears will become non existant as a threat to your honey (unless you make bunny men ignore the bears, which will lead peeps to completely enclose their bee hives within several layers of walls with a tiny corridor filled with traps, even if a trap would deal only 10 dmg to a bear, not hard to force him walk past 30+ etc).

If more monsters are to be added, they need some fun mechanics, something to distinguish them from already existent ones, w/o making it a chore (false difficulty or just annoyance) to the player (like your tree marks, so you would have to rotate map in all degrees to make sure the tree you want to chop isn't marked, but sometimes the view is blocked etc).

Surface world is already heavy populated and has a wild variance, I'd like more stuff added in caves / ruins and maybe a better spread of various fauna within ruins (so far balls of terror roam near lakes in my game with no other creatures nearby, chess pieces are near statues / altars, monkeys only spawn near bananas, and spiders spawn everywhere but unlike normal cave spiders or surface ones, they are never a threat unless you step on the webbing to activate them - which isn't hard).

You have to remember this isn't easy early game. No one will have a base set up with several layers of stone walls, lots of tooth traps, bunny huts all over the place early on. On top of that bears wont be "that" easy to kill.

I'm still contemplating whether it should be wandering spawned boss like spider queens or tree guards or a normal monster with decent size health.

With marks on trees, I think it would add that sense of unease. At the moment we are chopping them down like crazy, even as a werebeaver. With this system you will get punished if you carry on chopping. So not only will tree guards spawn, bears will attack as well. I might change this later to something more territorial, suggesting that a bear is near if trees are marked.

I'll be more than happy to respond to anyone commenting here while I iron out all the issues. So keep those comments coming.

Ok let's settle this from the basics :)

Is this proposal for vanilla game implementations by Devs, or will this be added as a MoD?

Because I don't think a new player spending his first night in the woods at a fire camp would be able to deal with a bear coming out being attracted by the fire or if player has some honey in his inventory (killed some bees w/e). Those sort of 2nd tier mobs (power / hp) should not be a common ocurance (look at tentacles, they are fearsome and monstrous contraptions to a new player, but they won't pop out of the ground when you pick flowers or chop a tree, you need to enter their biome and walk near them to activate one).

What I mean is, such an addition shouldn't mess with the starting game pace - where a player - especially a new one - is hardly pressed to survive his first night and is no where prepared to deal with such a monster - you need a science machine to even make a spear.

Imagine this something like you start a new game, find a piggy village on your very first day, with berry farm, loads of carrots etc, and you happily decide to camp over night. Then - surprise surprise - full moon and you will die to a horde of werepigs with no chance to prepare for it or react.

Proposed for vanilla.

I can see your confusion. But I know lots of people dying from misplaced camp fires on their first night close to spiders. My proposed idea will add more tense and excitement.

I have actually found this sort of pig village on day 2 :)

I know I need to make things more clear. What I intend to do this coming weekend is take into consideration all the helpful advice you have all give me and alter my suggestion slightly. However I am an avid gamer and like a good challenge. Expect my suggestions to be challenging. If anyone is new they will have to adapt their gameplay. This is a survival game after all.

Proposed for vanilla.

I can see your confusion. But I know lots of people dying from misplaced camp fires on their first night close to spiders. My proposed idea will add more tense and excitement.

I have actually found this sort of pig village on day 2 :-)

I know I need to make things more clear. What I intend to do this coming weekend is take into consideration all the helpful advice you have all give me and alter my suggestion slightly. However I am an avid gamer and like a good challenge. Expect my suggestions to be challenging. If anyone is new they will have to adapt their gameplay. This is a survival game after all.

You can also make the "bear" scared of fire, But IRL, bears are drawn to small campfires though. But its just a thought.

Archived