General Development

debugman18

Possibly. Seth said he fixed it, but I don't know if this went into the released hotfix or if it'll go out on Monday's part of the hotfix.

Either way, I wouldn't adopt it for U&A without some extensive testing after the fix to make sure it's working correctly (especially with options taking the values true/false).

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

Possibly. Seth said he fixed it, but I don't know if this went into the released hotfix or if it'll go out on Monday's part of the hotfix.

Either way, I wouldn't adopt it for U&A without some extensive testing after the fix to make sure it's working correctly (especially with options taking the values true/false).

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I'm hoping that it turns out to be stable come Monday's hotfix, but we'll see.

But do you have relevant options in mind?

Well, before you had mentioned the mist and the different effects, like sparks. I also think you should be able to toggle dev mode on and off, for access to testing commands and things of that nature. Aside from those, maybe the world size could be changeable there. For lack of extensive worldgen settings (which I understand would be a complicated addition), being able to make the world smaller would likely help those with less powerful machines.

@debugman18

The "fix" for the mod configuration support has indeed been released already, it's just not effective.

I'm getting tired of this. Not just of the butchering of the modding API, but more generally with the state of the Don't Starve code as a whole ever since RoG was released. Given that Don't Starve is primarily written in Lua, would it be too much to ask for its developers to actually know the language? (good software engineering practices would be a bonus)

@debugman18

I implemented modinfo based configuration support in wicker and Up and Away (stable and dev). It's been integrated in the "regular" configuration system, so you'd access it via TheMod:GetConfig as usual.

The modinfo based cfg data is loaded explicitly by calling TheMod:LoadModConfigurationData(). This is being done in worldgen_main.lua, together with the rest of the configuration loading. The loading order is the following (noting that, if two sources define the same configuration option, the latter one overrides the former):

• tuning.lua is loaded (which in turn loads the files in the tuning/ directory);
  • rc.defaults.lua (if it exists) is loaded;
  • the modinfo based cfg data is loaded (i.e., TheMod:LoadModConfigurationData() is called);
  • dev.rc.defaults.lua (if it exists) is loaded;
  • rc.lua (if it exists) is loaded;
  • dev.rc.lua (if it exists) is loaded.
As you may have noted, the rc.defaults.lua file, which used to be mandatory, is now optional (it makes no sense to define conflicting options with modinfo in it, since they'll just get overriden, so now I no longer see a purpose for it; currently it's completely commented out).

Therefore, dev.rc.defaults, rc.lua and dev.rc.lua act as manual overrides for the modinfo based configuration. In particular, since dev.rc.defaults sets the DEBUG option to true, in the dev version debugging is always on, regardless of how the option is set in the mod configuration screen.

In modinfo.lua, the 'name' field of an option is treated by wicker (when loading the options) as a series of keys to the configuration table. So the option named "CLOUD_MIST.ENABLED", for example, will correspond to the value

TheMod:GetConfig("CLOUD_MIST", "ENABLED")
In other words, the 'name' attribute is split on periods, making it act as a table assignment. As in all other configuration, if the initial entries of an option name (in this case, "CLOUD_MIST") do not exist, that table is created, and if they already exist the table is reused, merging options.

Since the mod configuration support is still broken, I wrote a mod fixing it:

ModCfgFix.zip

It simply overrides files and functions to get things working properly. It's not meant to be a long term thing, just an aid allowing us to work on configuration support at once instead of waiting for the API to be fixed. But we should wait to the API fix before releasing the configuration enabled version of Up and Away, of course.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

Alright, so here's the current changelog for 0.0.7. It's not done, but we've got a good amount done for it:

+ Updated beanlet animations.+ Updated rose animations.+ Updated skytrap animations.+ Made golden sunflowers more useful, with a tiny bit of risk to them.+ Made golden petals more useful.+ Made beanlets slower.+ Skyflowers no longer give positive sanity aura.+ Skyflower petals now spoil.+ Tweaked the balance of each biome.+ Tweaked Winnie's balance.+ Balanced the aurora drops.+ Added an option to regenerate the cloudrealm.+ Made the lionblob easter egg very rare.+ Crystals now have names that aren't colors.+ Made the bean giant more dangerous.+ Cloudcrags now have a chance to drop rocks.+ Added support for Too Many Items.+ Improved support for the N Tools invincibility button (for example, when being drawn to a whirlwind).+ Thunder trees can now be replanted.+ Skyflies are no longer catchable. A proper method for catching them will be implemented in the future.

@simplex

I am getting a strange issue where the thunder sapling is invisible when planted. Saving and reloading fixes it, so I'm not really sure what's happening there. It's not complaining of a missing animation, either.

@simplex

I am getting a strange issue where the thunder sapling is invisible when planted. Saving and reloading fixes it, so I'm not really sure what's happening there. It's not complaining of a missing animation, either.

I'll look into it. It's certainly caused by MemSpikeFix, there were other similar reports.

@simplex

What do you think we need for 0.0.7 to be ready?

I was actually thinking we might add the additional tea types to it, instead of the dev branch.

Also, apparently people are still getting the black cloudwaves. Somehow, I don't even know.

Aside from that, I think SethR mentioned that the latest patch was pretty much the last one we'll be getting. If the boolean issues are still there... Oi.

Edited by debugman18

@simplex

I was actually thinking we might add the additional tea types to it, instead of the dev branch.

Also, apparently people are still getting the black cloudwaves. Somehow, I don't even know.

Aside from that, I think SethR mentioned that the latest patch was pretty much the last one we'll be getting. If the boolean issues are still there... Oi.

I think we could release 0.0.7. Idealy the MemSpikeFix related issue should be fixed with it, but since I'm not sure when I'll be able to take care of that I think we shouldn't wait. And yeah, I think new teas could go into it.

The boolean options bug in mod configuration has been fixed.

@simplex

He said its been fixed. At least. An issue involving boolean(whatever that is) and configs has been fixed.

I think we could release 0.0.7. Idealy the MemSpikeFix related issue should be fixed with it, but since I'm not sure when I'll be able to take care of that I think we shouldn't wait. And yeah, I think new teas could go into it.

The boolean options bug in mod configuration has been fixed.

He said its been fixed. At least. An issue involving boolean(whatever that is) and configs has been fixed.

Ah, glad it's been fixed.

Alright, so I'll balance the teas out (right now they just exist, no particular values) and push the update today.

And a boolean is a true/false value.

Edited by debugman18

Nope, up to date.

Could you post your log.txt, so we can see if there are any errors or anything odd going on?

The only thing I can see causing what you described is having a version of the game which has an API version of 5 instead of 6.