September 10Th Preview Discussion (Updated Sept 9Th)

Bryce

• Developer
Instructions for switching branches:
  • Right click on Don't Starve in your steam library
  • Go to the betas tab
  • Select "publicpreview" to play the current testing branch. There is no password. If you don't see that branch listed, it means that we aren't currently running a public test.
  • To get back to the normal version, select "NONE" - this will happen automatically for you when we shut down the preview

(You may need to restart steam for your changes to take effect.)

We changed some stuff. Here's the breakdown.

Changelist 84970:

General Changes:

• Added strings for most items.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed casing issue in controls.lua
  • Added additional nil check in combat.lua to avoid crashes.
  • Pop up screen in final adventure mode level will now close. 

Previous Builds:

Changelist 84853:

General Changes:

• Some changes in the repairer and repairable components - You must now specify separate repair values for health and work. Any mods that use these components will need to be updated.

Bug Fixes:

• You can no longer repair walls with healing items.
  • You can no longer repair thulecite walls with stone.

Changelist 84722:

General Changes:

• Potted ferns can now be placed closer together.
  • Improved sound and visual effects for the eye turret

Bug and Crash fixes:

• The proper animation now plays when the eye turret is on the ground but not placed.
  • The caves no longer become totally lit after a LongUpdate call that caused a roll over into day time.
  • Added some missing speech strings that were causing crashes upon examination of some items on non-Wilson characters.

Changelist 84608:

Modding

• New asset pipeline tools in alpha release!

• Animation importer for Spriter. Spriter is included with the Don’t Starve Mod Tools and the projects will be processed and imported into the game.

• Automatic atlas generator for .png images. No more fiddling around, now a .tex and .xml file will be created for each .png in your mod.

• Custom audio banks and events. Using FMOD designer you can create your own sound banks and run them in the game.

• These tools are still in development and should be considered experimental. Please give us feedback in the Pipeline Tools Thread.

• Basic tutorials and example projects are available in that thread as well!

In addition:

• Re-laid out the mods screen in anticipation of controller support.

Creatures

• New Nightmare Knight

• New Nightmare Monkey

• Slurpers are now more aggressive.

• You can repair chess junk piles with gears to spawn a friendly chess mob.

• Sped up the descent of the depth dweller spiders.

• Splumonkeys no longer use the “follower” component while they harass you. This should make fighting back easier.

World

• Added a day/night cycle to the sinkholes (this is not synced with the upper world)

• Added a new pillar type into level 1 caves.

Items

• You can now craft a shooty horn/eye turret item.

• You can now craft potted ferns.

• You can now craft the “Deconstruction Staff”. Because there was some concern about the staff during the last preview, here is a breakdown of it’s functions:

• You can deconstruct any item that has a recipe to gain the materials used to craft it.

• The staff takes into account how “used” an item is. If you deconstruct an armour with only 30% durability left,k you will only get 30% of the materials back.

• The staff will never give back gems that are part of any recipe.

• You can now craft Thulecite Walls.

• Items in the ruins will now sometimes drop “Thulecite Fragments” which can be refined into thulecite.

• The ancient guardian will now drop a horn when killed.

• Fishing in the wilds ponds will now produce an eel.

• The eel can be cooked into unagi.

• Changed the art for the monkey spawner.

• Increased the number of uses the Pick/Axe has.

Bugs

• Fixed a bug that sometimes caused many, many ice hounds to spawn around walrus camps.

• Fixed a bug that would cause woodie to slide around the world in werebeaver mode.

• The idle animation of the tentapillar will now properly loop.

• The Magiluminescence amulet no longer gives off infinite light while on the ground.

• Fixed a crash that would occur when enemies destroyed structures.

Controls

• You can now craft with the keyboard. (This is part of the WIP controller support)

• Like 5

@Luggs you got a suggestion into the game! 

[*]

Sped up the descent of the depth dweller spiders.

edit: these changes woah, just woah so much more stuff

And technically out with the old gemology pointless thread. But I'm glad that they were sped up.

Just killed a nightmare spelumoney.He dropped thulecite! Is this intended(I think that is more logical if they dropped nighmare fuel instead)

Also,is the name of the horn missing name?

Edited by zazori

• Developer

Just killed a nightmare spelumoney.He dropped thulecite! Is this intended(I think that is more logical if they dropped nighmare fuel instead)

They shouldn't drop thulecite. I'm guessing it just dropped a piece of thulecite that it picked up while exploring the world but I'll double check to be sure.

They shouldn't drop thulecite. I'm guessing it just dropped a piece of thulecite that it picked up while exploring the world but I'll double check to be sure.

He was in the place I spawned(just a few meters away) and there was no thulecite near.