An Update on Don’t Starve

Seriously, are images ever gonna work again? I'm sorry if I'm being grumpy but they haven't worked for about four weeks now and nothing has been said about why they still don't work.

I know a secret to images. You post your post, then edit it and whatever you put in will work. It doesn't work when you first upload the post.

Seriously, are images ever gonna work again? I'm sorry if I'm being grumpy but they haven't worked for about four weeks now and nothing has been said about why they still don't work.

Hopefully it'll get fixed on the new forums! Just be patient and they'll fix it. Read the tip the guy above wrote ^

I've been here since the "A little rain must fall" update" and this is all I can say of this game:Thanks.Thanks for making such as a great game,and not only for that.Thanks a lot for listening to us,the players.I think this is the only game I've seen in wich the developers hear the community and speaks to them,and I've played a lot of indie games.It feels amazing to know that all the stuff I'm writting in the "suggestions and feedback" subforum is really being read and considered.You earned yourselves some cookies :D!

Yes, images will work like they are supposed too. :wilson_flower:

I've been here since the "A little rain must fall" update" and this is all I can say of this game:Thanks.Thanks for making such as a great game,and not only for that.Thanks a lot for listening to us,the players.I think this is the only game I've seen in wich the developers hear the community and speaks to them,and I've played a lot of indie games.It feels amazing to know that all the stuff I'm writting in the "suggestions and feedback" subforum is really being read and considered.You earned yourselves some cookies :D!

Cookies as in passwords or like chocolate chip? I'll take either one too :D

So after some reviewing, we’ve decided to spend the last 4 updates really making what we have into a more cohesive whole.

This means instead of adding big new features (Lava or a new season), we’re going to focus on balancing the things we already have (Caves, Ruins, Recipes), and also squashing all the bugs that are always on the bottom of the pile because we need to rush for the next 3 week push. Another huge benefit is that mods won’t constantly break as we’re not shifting the ground beneath them.

It’s not as flashy, but we think it makes for a better game, which is always our priority.

Awesome! Just awesome! Now this is a roadmap I can really get behind of. The only way I could be happier with it was if a lifecycle for Tallbirds had been announced. :p

For a while now I felt my view on what should be done with Don't Starve's development had taken the opposite direction of Klei's, so that the only thing I still paid attention to within game updates were the mod API changes. But you proved me wrong.

However, I feel you shouldn't worry too much about breaking mods. It's of fundamental importance that we are left with a solid modding framework and pipeline by the end, but I feel improvements in the game until then should not be hindered by the thought of breaking mods, to the benefit of all. Perhaps you should take my position on this with a pinch of salt, since no mod of mine has ever been broken (or otherwise affected) by a game update, but still this is what I believe.

In these last updates, will the overspawning ice hounds (from the hunting party) bug be fixed? Because it's still in the game, right? ;)

It should be fixed by the next update.

We've decided not to do the heatwave and the lava cave. We're going to focus on polish for the last couple updates, and then move on to the DLC when the six months is up.In the end, they just weren't compelling enough to keep the game under active development. We're much more excited by the possibilities that giving the mod community a stable codebase will bring.

I just notice that if there's no Lava caves and heatwave, then what's the main use of the Chilled amulet? It's right now just a weaker version of the Ice staff. And you have to take damage to freeze the enemies.

I do hope that said DLC and possibly the ruins will bring back the uncompromising in Don't Starve. Do not get me wrong the game is good and fun, but if you're at a certain point after playing for a while, there's just no challenge to it anymore. I personally am sad the lava cave layer got scrapped entirely, it sounded like it could give something truely dangerous to venture in, with death around every corner. And please let there not be cave hounds as the periodic threat, but something entirely new and challenging...Anyhow, keep up the good work and hope the DLC will be awesome.

Well, while I'm not exactly happy with your decision, I understand and completely respect it. Plus a DLC pack sounds like a really cool idea. I mean what you guys have added so far since release could already be considered an expansion pack by its own merits.The ruins look incredible, so as long as we're still getting those, I have zero complaints.

Merch and DLC! I was really hoping that we were going to see some DLC to keep the game evolving and fresh. As for the slower release schedule, quality over quantity, any day. I'm pleased as punch. Even more pleased than a fruity drink served in a bowl, actually. But what I want to know is if the extended timeline and DLC will mean the continuation of the backstory release. I'm an absolute sucker for lore, and I love the secret update content about Maxwell. I'm really hoping that we won't lose that with the new update schedule. Does anybody know how this is going to play out?

I guess my one concern is if anything is going to be done to improve the dont starve world. And I'll explain what I mean. Right now in the game, very little happens where the player has no control (hound attacks, winter, deerclops and lureplants) meaning that once you gather a few resources you can survive indefinitely. The other thing is the world still feels empty, because the world generates huge parts of the man that are entirely empty forests and savannas and very few parts of the map seem to have interesting features. The parts that do are fantastic and make the world feel vibrant.Maybe the solution is creating more set pieces with existing game elements to add some flavor to the worlds, without cramming in more new craftables and mobs. I think that would be simple enough to add in and much less time consuming. I would rather have existing elements improved than a new level of the caves that would take months to fill up with things to make it dynamic.