William Carter's story so far(PUZZLE findings and lore compilation)

I think in the next update we will get some information on the other characters.

A note from the library perhaps that is demanding the books that Maxwell has taken out for a long time signed by a Ms. W. Wickerbottom.

I guess we'll get background info an all the characters, but since there are 2 updates left i guess they'll have to share puzzles. 

Unless Klei keeps them coming with DLC trailers...

@Spazmatic i guess an update is due.

Was gonna work on that already, but alas the lore has been updated :)

I think in the next update we will get some information on the other characters.

A note from the library perhaps that is demanding the books that Maxwell has taken out for a long time signed by a Ms. W. Wickerbottom.

So far Wickerbottom could serve two roles: She may or may not be the sister of Charlie, or like you said was the librarian of the library Maxwell got the book from (if he got it from a library that is, but it still seems likely!)

You know what would be a troll? If the last "puzzle" (and I use that word loosely) linked to a video of Joker going, "If I have to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice."

or just having maxwell and william as two unrelated people and the stuff being so close toghether being one huge red herring

I always thought that William got a hold of the book as a result of the train crash. Either one of the circus workers/passengers had it, or he found it in the desert. I doubt that a library would lend a book like that to people. I have a hard enough time finding witchcraft books at my local library!

I can't believe she hasn't met the the twins yet!

Personnaly, I understand that the twins are Willian and Jack. Maybe, her mother leaved the UK when they were baby to migrate to the USA. That's why the brothers go to this country.

Anyone share my thinking?

Edited by SamLogan

Hmm, something to tie into the 'why does maxwell get angry at you the closer to get to him' question. 

He made the world dangerous, tough to survive in.  He goes outside of it and brings people here, and lets the world kill them.  He doesn't like it when people survive, and thus get closer to him.  He gets angry at them, keeps putting harder and harder obstacles in their way.  So there must be something driving him to do this, to kill them rather than helping them help him.  The killing part is important, the victim's success is bad.  Since Maxwell is basically a prisoner of Them, I think they are driving him to do this, and might get unhappy with him if the killing isn't happening. 

However, when you get to the Two Worlds map in adventure mode, he's mad at you and says:

So at this point he isn't worried about the killing part so much, he's more worried about you getting closer to him. So the player getting to him is worse than what They do to him normally.  I think he's showing self interest here, that something really bad will happen if the player reaches him. Maybe he's afraid you'll try to kill him?  Maybe he's afraid of what They will do?  When you finally reach him he's resigned, not angry or afraid.  'You made it, congratulations, now what genius?'

Hmm, this might be on the right track but obviously isn't right.

I have a theory, but it might be crazy.

First of all, I don't think They are making him do anything. According to Maxwell, he doesn't know what they want. All They do is watch. Perhaps they like to observe how humans react in situations the same way a psychologist does.

As for the adventure mode question, this has also bothered me. However, on a recent play through of adventure mode, I noticed something. When Maxwell greets the player anytime in survival mode, his appearance is accompanied by smoke and a "popping" sound. In adventure mode, his appearance is accompanied by a black swirling shadow at his feet and a ghostly sound. On top of that, his appearance becomes more and more beast-like. It may just be a coincidence, but maybe that projection isn't Maxwell at all. It could be Them, or Charlie somehow taking his form. They both have reasons why they wouldn't want him to leave.

It may just be a coincidence, but maybe that projection isn't Maxwell at all. It could be Them, or Charlie somehow taking his form. They both have reasons why they wouldn't want him to leave.

I agree, Maxwell can't be in the world since is blocked on his throne. 

He could be allowed to travel in the Adventure portals (popping in and out) but only making an illusion (he is a magician after all) in survival mode outside the door worlds. One thing is clear in adventure mode: the better you do, the more dark and ugly you see how he truly is as his anger means he can't hide it. But I'm more interested ATM what went wrong to make Charlie the way she is currently and if her sister is one of the currently unlocked characters or not. 

I just thought I add this. Maxwell's dialog regarding the Ancient Guardian suggest there was other people besides him and Charlie. If that's true, than we should look at this as a chess game with Maxwell being the king, Charlie being the Queen, the Ancient Guardian being one of the rooks, and the playable characters (excluding Maxwell) as pawns. Maybe Maxwell escaped and took shelter with Abernethy & Parker after taking advantage of the train accident to fake his own death. So Abernethy & Parker could be our rooks based on the fact that the rook represents the king's castle.

Perhaps the DLCs will have bosses that resemble another Rook, two Bishops, and two Knights. And I'm betting there will not be any new characters though updates.

Hey @Spazmatic can you update this with the most recent puzzle?

Oh and sorry for Necroing, but I feel as it this thread is important and should be noticed.

I'll update it tomorrow :). Had time for random forum lurking here n there (and now whilst sleep deprived), but.tomorrow will be a late update day!

I messed around on photoshop and got this for you guys. I hope it helps. Some of the words are in Latin, so good luck with that.

In the first post , at the end, there's a link to a discussion about that puzzle. Go check it out.

I saw an add for dont starve and wanted to see the full image. Much to my suprise there is a hidden image near the bottom that leads to a desktop background and a picture of "charlie" looking scared. http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/takeovers/Dont-Starve-Skin-Halloween.jpg I also found this. Dont know if anyone else has. http://www.dontstarvegame.com/science/mdocs/ta-da/praecantator.html

It has changed. I remember when it was only "3". Wish i chould have saved it.

• Like 1

I have a theory, but it might be crazy.

First of all, I don't think They are making him do anything. According to Maxwell, he doesn't know what they want. All They do is watch. Perhaps they like to observe how humans react in situations the same way a psychologist does.

As for the adventure mode question, this has also bothered me. However, on a recent play through of adventure mode, I noticed something. When Maxwell greets the player anytime in survival mode, his appearance is accompanied by smoke and a "popping" sound. In adventure mode, his appearance is accompanied by a black swirling shadow at his feet and a ghostly sound. On top of that, his appearance becomes more and more beast-like. It may just be a coincidence, but maybe that projection isn't Maxwell at all. It could be Them, or Charlie somehow taking his form. They both have reasons why they wouldn't want him to leave.

They don't just watch. He says that They'll show beautiful and horrible things and that if you get too close They'll do something to you, that's why he stays so dapper.

They seem to like to observe human behavior and/or creativity, and for that they need someone to input creativity and turn the world interesting for other humans to survive. "Getting too close" would mean being insane in that world, where you can see them and they become more tangible, able to interact. That angers Them, they don't want to watch in the shadows, from far, they don't want to be seen and messed with.

• Like 1