William Carter's story so far(PUZZLE findings and lore compilation)

Whilst plausible, it would still be weird Wickerbottom would have all this knowledge. Sure, she is highly intelligent, but have this kinda knowledge? I doubt it.

Oh, I don't think I was being clear enough. I mean, MAYBE William found this book in a library that Wickerbottom was connected to.

*cannot comprehend the following word(s), some help would be much obliged*

It's "almost faltered in". Delta/V has transcripted both notes.

The magic show seems to be a success, as William performs as Maxwell the Great twice a day, seven days a week! Such a contrast with his first magic act.

I think the dates refer to the frequency, with which the ad is supposed to appear in a newspaper.

Edited by Zhuzha
  • Like 2

I got so excited over the latest update! I think William's story will end up a tragedy of sorts. He starts off as a failed magician, when fate throws this book of forbidden knowledge in his lap. He uses it to gain fame and glory, but then draws the ire of some rather dark entities who lock him away. It sounds so perfect! Ah hubris, what would the human condition do without you?

I'm guessing that Charlie will be Maxwell's assistant and - *tragically* - is completely innocent but gets turned into the Grue for her relation to Maxwell.

A few things:

You can also see Shadow Hands (Or rather, the fingers of Shadow hands) right behind the right and left corners of the first and second papers, respectively, but in front of the poster. It's also worth noting that you can see the eyes that you see in the darkness when you're insane on Maxwell's poster, up at the top of it. It's interesting that William isn't wearing glasses anymore, as well.

After looking over all this stuff (I've been playing this game for a while now and didn't know any of this existed), I've got a question.  Hopefully one that hasn't been answered before.

In Adventure Mode, why does Maxwell get angry with you the further you progress?  At the beginning he's all dapper and pleasant, and by the last map he's bent over and ugly and ranting.  When you free him, he's happy.  So, what's the deal?  Why would he not want you to get closer to him?

After looking over all this stuff (I've been playing this game for a while now and didn't know any of this existed), I've got a question.  Hopefully one that hasn't been answered before.

In Adventure Mode, why does Maxwell get angry with you the further you progress?  At the beginning he's all dapper and pleasant, and by the last map he's bent over and ugly and ranting.  When you free him, he's happy.  So, what's the deal?  Why would he not want you to get closer to him?

I've thought about this a lot myself. In my opinion, Maxwell has some mixed feelings about being freed. Part of it is due to his ego; he doesn't like his power challenged by the player progressing. Another issue is that he doesn't seem to know what would happen once freed. It's possible that he understood he might die once there was someone else on the throne, and is afraid of death.

By the end of adventure mode he's really just sick of 'playing the game' and Them, so he's reserved to whatever fate has in store for him. Obviously there is nothing for him to be worried about because he comes out alive through the gate, and he seems happy to finally be off the throne.

• Like 1

While I can see Maxwell's actions being controlled by Them, I haven't seen anything that would indicate that They control his mind in any way. Prove me wrong if you like.Personally I just think he's an egotistical jerk with no other forces influencing his thoughts or personality.

While I can see Maxwell's actions being controlled by Them, I haven't seen anything that would indicate that They control his mind in any way. Prove me wrong if you like.Personally I just think he's an egotistical jerk with no other forces influencing his thoughts or personality.

That, and Maxwell's personality doesn't seem to change after being free, judging from his speech text. He is aware of all the things he did, and doesn't feel bad for anything he did. He even says "Ha! I remember that one" when examining a boon.

• Like 1

Wouldn't your personality take a turn for the worst if you were forced to do certain things for a long enough time that you learn how to enjoy them in a sense? After 20ish years in the other world, your own personality would end up changing in ways you might not predict.

Though in all honesty, I more pity the poor Magician than I do hate him. In fact, my ability to hate him went out the window when I found the ending to Adventure Mode...

Edited by Tesability

Maybe, William/Maxwell is trying to spare Wilson from the throne. As someone said before, Wilson means 'Son of William'. At least as William, he was friends of related with every character, I think. So, maybe whatever remains of William in Maxwell's head is trying to spare them. Just a thought.

Maybe, William/Maxwell is trying to spare Wilson from the throne. As someone said before, Wilson means 'Son of William'. At least as William, he was friends of related with every character, I think. So, maybe whatever remains of William in Maxwell's head is trying to spare them. Just a thought.

While the meaning of Wilson's name is a really interesting point, I would have to disagree with you on the rest. I recall during an interview Kevin said Maxwell wouldn't be too interested in helping Wilson out of his current predicament. Also, if you play as Maxwell with Wilson on the throne, he'll will say 'better him than me' when examining Wilson.

If Wilson is Maxwell's son somehow, I'd bet good money that he's illegitimate.

I don't think so.  First, he behaves the same toward everyone.  Second, he's toying with Wilson at first, and later angry with him.  Maxwell's behavior in game clearly shows an uncaring sadistic person, I don't think he's doing anything for anyone but himself.

More questions.

Has it been established why Maxwell is doing what he's doing bringing people into this world?  Is he bringing people in in the hopes that they free him, is he just doing it for fun, or are They making him do it?  From the opening movie he has to project something of himself into our world to lure someone in, he's clearly tricking them, and takes joy in that fact.  This makes me think it's the 2nd thing.

Also, Did he create the world, or was it there and now he's using it? 

Alas, while playing as Maxwell, he also admits, that he haven't created Caves. So, there was someone (probably, many) "gods" before him. Maybe even something before They arrived (and They've destroyed most of it?).

Edited by Estel

Alas, while playing as Maxwell, he also admits, that he haven't created Caves. So, there was someone (probably, many) "gods" before him. Maybe even something before They arrived (and They've destroyed most of it?).

Fun fact: If you have Maxwell examine crows he'll say 'I don't know how they got here.' Yet another thing about the DS world that isn't under his control.

Super Special Secret: I sent my pretties to annoy him! Muhahaha!

• Like 1