Ask A Pro- The Older Players Answer The New Comers

Greetings forum!Just scanned through all pages, haven't found anything relevant, so just asking it myself.How does one cope with monkeys?.. After considerable time spent on preparation for spelunking (resourses for setting up a base, three miner hats) these critters just stole my hats and that was basically it. Lurking in the dark in panic, while the poop is thrown at me, resulted in disappointing demise. I mean, I expected an adventure like going through the Maxwell's door and all I got was poop in my face. So, any advice about avoiding such unpleasant experience? Because otherwise the caves are no-go area for me...

My first time in the ruins ended with monkeys taking my lantern and leaving me with the tiny light of my lighter

Just curious: 1. Is there a good place to set up camp besides being near a beefalo herd? and 2. Does turning off "land branch" in worldgen settings make the map somewhat easier to get around?

1. Pig village, fishing ponds, swamp? Anything goes.

2. That means you will have less turns to make. No bridges and wormhole islands. More of a compact island.

Just curious: 1. Is there a good place to set up camp besides being near a beefalo herd? and 2. Does turning off "land branch" in worldgen settings make the map somewhat easier to get around?

1. Pig village, fishing ponds, swamp? Anything goes.

2. That means you will have less turns to make. No bridges and wormhole islands. More of a compact island.

Also if you can find a good "Grasslands" (that mixed green land that has berry bushes, trees, grass, twigs, flint, flowers, etc.) near either a beefalo heard or pig village (feeding pigs flowers and/or fruits/vegetables) for manure and/or multiple rabbit holes for morsel farming, that helps resource gathering the easiest, especially if it borders multipe other biomes. See this guide for more info on setting up base camps.

(And I disagree with getting meats from a swamp in that guide as when tentacles, spiders and/or merms fight you get lots of meat such as: frog's legs, fish and monster meat (monster meat should be used either in a birdcage for eggs or crock pot as meat filler,) but it's exceptionally dangerous to collect them without a lot of experience and/or at least a log suit. Especially tentacle areas. There's nothing wrong with running in and out picking up one thing at a time to avoid being hit if you choose to do so however. Just don't stick around and fight conflict zones, especially after dusk. If truly interested in swamp living, there's a guide for that too.)  

And fully agree with what Teo said on branches/bridges/islands. .