Ask A Pro- The Older Players Answer The New Comers

I'll get with me the Walking Cane and the full stack of Goldnuggets, so there are 2 more items left that I can bring. I'm thinking about bringing the Tam o' Shanter and a Beefalo Hat but I'm not sure if these last two might be the best choices. What would you bring if you were in my situation?

Definitely bring the Tam o'Shanter. Both A Cold Reception and Archipelago are hard on your sanity (near constant rain and wormholes, respectively), and you'll want as much sanity as possible before you go into Darkness.The beefalo hat won't be as good. If you get A Cold Reception it will be useful because winter comes early, but it's definitely not necessary. On the other hand, winter doesn't come until day 20 in Archipelago. Even if you don't leave before then, you'll have plenty of time to prepare, so the beefalo hat won't be that great.Personally, I would probably bring food in the fourth slot. You're able to move faster when you start a new world if you don't have to worry about food. Jerky would be ideal because it also heals you and restores sanity.

Thank you for the tips. I will bring the Tamy then + I play as Wendy so I hope sanity management won't be a very big problem on the following worlds. Jerky I've had in mind as well besides other things. Hm, well, my goals are set: I'm going to build some drying racks and hunt one or two koalephants as well as take down some pigs so that I may bring a full stack of jerky with me as my fourth choice. Thanks again, can't wait for the next world. :D*alt+tabs back to DS*Edit: actually, anyone knows how abundant gold is on Archipelago or A Cold Reception? I might leave out the current stack of gold and take something else with me, with the hope I'll restock on goldnuggets on the next worlds (Darkness is the sixth world no matter what, right?)

Edited by ailailou

Edit: actually, anyone knows how abundant gold is on Archipelago or A Cold Reception? I might leave out the current stack of gold and take something else with me, with the hope I'll restock on goldnuggets on the next worlds (Darkness is the sixth world no matter what, right?)

There should be enough boulders in both worlds. As far as I know, Archipelago will always have one island of rockyland with more than enough boulders. In A Cold Reception, things would be a bit more risky, as its main part of the map seems to be generated similarly to a Sandbox map, so there's a chance there's no rockyland. However, there should be enough gold to be mined in boulders scattered all over the map (especially forest and mosaic biome), it might just take some time. Hope that helps.Edit: Darkness is the fifth world no matter what, so you will get either Archipelago or A Cold Reception as chapter four and after that proceed to Darkness. Make sure to have the necessary materials when you leave chapter four :) Edited by lierofreak

I have a question... I don't get it. Are bees supposed to fly through 'level 3' high walls? I heard sometime that they won't fly through, but they do it in my world. Anyone?

Decided to put this to the test. I have build a solid level 3 wall system with rock walls, and the bee *will* fly through it if it is going for a flower. When it chases someone to attack however, the bee will not be able to fly through the walls. It seems that the desire of polinating flowers is higher than the logic of trying to move past the walls :D

I have a question... I don't get it. Are bees supposed to fly through 'level 3' high walls? I heard sometime that they won't fly through, but they do it in my world. Anyone?

Bees won't fly away if there aren't flowers outside,so if you're trying to do a nightmare fuel farm just clean the outside of you wall.

Nightmare fuel farm? On a side note, WIlson makes a good cave dweller, his beard works as a primitive timepiece.

Yes apparently this is possible. As bees can pollinate Evil Flowers and making it randomly sprout more of its kind. I just recently known this and thinking of going to another world again just to do this because I have bravely picked all of them and refined all of them to Nightmare Fuel. I have to go insane and catch black rabbits and kill those creepy crawling shadow monsters just to farm Nightmare Fuels. Edited by gummie

Nightmare fuel farm?

On a side note, WIlson makes a good cave dweller, his beard works as a primitive timepiece.

You can make one,it's incredible tedious but it's possible.Note:if you have picked all the dark flowers of your world you can't build one.

First find a Telerpotato setpiece (the ring thing is the one wich works the best).Build a level 3-wall around the ring thing(keep in mind,the bigger the wall is,the more amount of flowers will appear). Pick all the regular flowers from the area,inside the wall and outside it.

Next, capture a stack of bees,destoying their hive/box .Drop the bees next to the evil flowers and run (the bees will be hostile). When you come back, the bees will be pollinating the evil flowers.

Note: Never pick the flowers from the original setpiece,never.

Doing all that without mistakes will create a dark petal farm.If you leave flowers outside the wall or you don't destroy bee's hive,bees will flee.

Hope this helped :razz:

Edited by zazori
  • Like 1

You can make one,it's incredible tedious but it's possible.Note:if you have picked all the dark flowers of your world you can't build one.

First find a Telerpotato setpiece (the ring thing is the one wich works the best).Build a level 3-wall around the ring thing(keep in mind,the bigger the wall is,the more amount of flowers will appear). Pick all the regular flowers from the area,inside the wall outside.

Next, capture a stack of bees,destoying their hive/box .Drop the bees next to the evil flowers and run (the bees will be hostile). When you come back, the bees will be pollinating the evil flowers.

Doing all that without mistakes will create a dark petal farm.If you leave flowers outside the wall or you don't destroy bee's hive,bees will flee.

Hope this helped :razz:

Probably the most descriptive I have ever read on how to do dark petal farm. Thanks for this. There is nothing tedious enough for DS player, there just normal for us to do so much in order to survive. LOL.

I am on day 102 and have been through a few winters already, but I simply can't get the walrus tusk. I have killed the guy a couple times and he doesn't leave this damn item, just some blow dart... I used to kill him with an ice staff and fire dart, could this interfere in the outcome?

I am on day 102 and have been through a few winters already, but I simply can't get the walrus tusk. I have killed the guy a couple times and he doesn't leave this damn item, just some blow dart... I used to kill him with an ice staff and fire dart, could this interfere in the outcome?

Yes,it does.Killing mobs using fire make their loots turn into ashes,so if you want to kill MacTusk using ranged weapons I'll recommend using ice staff+blow darts.However,if you wanna use the fire staff(I think it's pretty useless),use it against his son.

Yes,it does.Killing mobs using fire make their loots turn into ashes,so if you want to kill MacTusk using ranged weapons I'll recommend using ice staff+blow darts.However,if you wanna use the fire staff(I think it's pretty useless),use it against his son.

oh, great to know, thank you. Killing MacTusk is no easy task for me, so I guess I will bring the ice staff and some other weapon.One second question: How do you use the boomerang without it hitting you on the way back? I never use it because I always get damaged by it... 

oh, great to know, thank you. Killing MacTusk is no easy task for me, so I guess I will bring the ice staff and some other weapon.One second question: How do you use the boomerang without it hitting you on the way back? I never use it because I always get damaged by it... 

hold space as its coming back toward you

First find a Telerpotato setpiece (the ring thing is the one wich works the best).Build a level 3-wall around the ring thing(keep in mind,the bigger the wall is,the more amount of flowers will appear). Pick all the regular flowers from the area,inside the wall and outside it.

That does sound incredibly tedious. Well, I'm usually crazy enough to see the shadows so I can just pick on those in my spare time anyway, I'll die before I get to use the stuff I swear XD

"Ghosts, Commie ghosts what don't know their dead."

Edited by Gotheran

Le bump.

So I'm playing WX in Sandbox mode and I've eaten 15 gears upgrading him to max. Let's say I gather all the things and enter the teleportato for a new world and select WX as the same character.

1) I know that my current inventory will be carried with me but will the stats also remain the same or will I have to start all over again with the gear gathering?

2) Is it worth having "prebuilt" structures like in Adventure Mode? Will I be able to just place them on the desired spot once I reach the new sandbox world?

Edited by ailailou

Le bump.

So I'm playing WX in Sandbox mode and I've eaten 15 gears upgrading him to max. Let's say I gather all the things and enter the teleportato for a new world and select WX as the same character.

1) I know that my current inventory will be carried with me but will the stats also remain the same or will I have to start all over again with the gear gathering?

2) Is it worth having "prebuilt" structures like in Adventure Mode? Will I be able to just place them on the desired spot once I reach the new sandbox world?

1. I don't think the upgrades carry over between sandbox worlds, but I'm not sure.

2. Yes, You will be able to build them when you're in the new world, so It's worth to pre build! :D

• Like 1

Considering I recently posted a WX-78 "Nomadic Mode" reply elsewhere, i can say with 100% accuracy that the upgrade stats will carry over in Survival mode world to world and prebuilds go with you. However, Adventure more resets the character's inventory and stats and you start with nothing. Do note as caves are eventually going to be permadeath as well, if you currently die down there without some resurrection item, your stats will reset. 

• Like 2