We're Live!

• Developer

Aaaaand we're live!

This is it, folks - the final Beta update (a few days early!). With this update we consider Don’t Starve to be ready for general consumption, and a complete game in its own right. We’re not done updating, of course - we’ve promised six months of post-launch content updates, and that’s exactly what we’re going to do. For now, our team needs a bit of a break, so our first update will come 4 weeks after launch, on May 21st.

Because we are out of Beta, we need to be more careful in how we add content to the game. Previously, we’d throw our new content in the game almost as soon as it’s done, but we feel more testing is required post April 23. Given that, we are going to be moving to a 3 week update schedule, and open up our staging branch early to both give a sneakpeek at new content as well as give feedback before the content officially goes live.

We’ve got some pretty cool stuff planned for the post-launch expansion, and we’ll tell you about it as soon as we’ve worked out the details.

We’re putting this update out a bit ahead of schedule because we want the official launch day to go as smoothly as possible. We’ve been testing this build for the last week in the special test branch, but strange things happen when software meets the real world. Let’s get any potential hotfixes out of the way before Tuesday!

On behalf of the team, I’d like to thank everyone who participated in the beta, and helped us make Don’t Starve the game that it is today. The game is far, far better because of you!

Now for the changelist:

Adventure Mode is done!

Can you escape through a long, arduous journey of 5 randomly generated worlds, and learn Maxwell’s secret?

We’ve put a lot of effort into creating randomization between and within each level, so every playthrough presents new challenges. Exploration and adaptation is key, and only the best survival experts will make it all the way to the end. There are tons of changes, tuning, and new features within adventure mode, but listing them all would ruin the surprise!

So grab that Divining Rod and journey on -- if you dare.

Some New Stuff

[*]Divining Rod (adventure only) - helps you track down missing portal pieces

[*]Sewing Kit - repairs degraded clothing items

[*]Newly-planted trees take a while to grow into small trees

[*]We’ve gone through the game screen by screen and made everything look nicer and be more functional. The world customization screen in particular got a complete re-write. There’s also a new credits screen.

[*]HUD size is more readable on larger screens

[*]Wes is now unlocked by finding him in Adventure Mode

[*]Beating Adventure Mode unlocks a new character

Bug fixes / Tuning

Too many to list! Basically, we’ve fixed all of the bugs that we know of that would have prevented us from shipping. As with every game, there are will always be some bugs that we miss, but there shouldn’t be anything too terrible that prevents players from enjoying themselves. As usual, let us know if you find any!

Finally, there's a special retrospective update trailer, coming reeaaaaal soon. It wouldn’t be an update without a video!

Finally, here's a special retrospective update trailer. It wouldn’t be an update without a video!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fae9tlgS3w4

And a poster!

post-2-13764592707785_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

It's been a wild ride. It's almost surreal that that Don't Starve is just days away from releasing.The post-launch update schedule sounds very reasonable. That extra week of testing will help squish any bugs or balancing issues that an update may bring.I'm looking forward to both the trailer and the news of what's to come post-launch!

I've been lurking on these forums for the past weeks, ever since I learned about the game ! Just made an account (Pleased to meet you guys btw) so I could reply to this !Congrats Klei ! Don't starve is an amaizing game and I cant wait to see the new content that will be added post realease ! Can't wait to test advanture mode which I have not played extensively... Seriously, you guys are not joking around, gotta love your games, Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve are masterpiecesPlayed the new build for a few minutes, everything is peechy ! Also, I can finally play as wickerbottom ! Congrats on that annoying bug fix...Also, I like the new customization screen !

I've been lurking on these forums for the past weeks, ever since I learned about the game ! Just made an account (Pleased to meet you guys btw) so I could reply to this !Congrats Klei ! Don't starve is an amaizing game and I cant wait to see the new content that will be added post realease ! Can't wait to test advanture mode which I have not played extensively... Seriously, you guys are not joking around, gotta love your games, Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve are masterpiecesPlayed the new build for a few minutes, everything is peechy ! Also, I can finally play as wickerbottom ! Congrats on that annoying bug fix...Also, I like the new customization screen !

#Welcome to the forums

The only thing that I think could possibly be a puzzle would be that strange sound that played at the end after Maxwell grabbed the camera.

But then again, that strange sound is probably just be hinting towards

the shadowy horrors that were controlling Maxwell while he was trapped on the throne.