Every character has a drinking problem...

Should Klei remove the sanity meter?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should Klei remove the sanity meter?

Can we just leave the Sanity meter?

Let's just focus on Winter. We bully Klei into bad choices too often. Anyway, how would a non-wiki player know that Sanity was going on, let alone how to fix it?

Also, there are reasons to go insane

- Nightmare Fuel

- Beard Hair, Beardlings.

Obviously. Freakin' demonic little bunnies... I can't wait to see what Winter looks like insane....

ANYWHO...

Shouldn't the visual indicators be enough? Don't Starve is a learning experience, and I feel like the meter detracts from that to some extent. There are some players whom will never go insane because they either think they have to keep the meters up or are afraid to let them drop.

Pertaining to the new players, they would have to learn. I started this game up just before Christmas and I had to learn like everyone else. Dying was fun for me back then, and it still is now, because, I'm still learning, and still evolving my style of play. It's something every player has to do.

Edited by SwiftShadow2

That's true Q, forgot about that...but I wouldn't put it past them to start complaining before they even experienced it. I do hope you are right though, the insanity update hotfix and chatter prior made me so mad I still haven't recovered.

I actually was one of the quiet few who liked that wormholes took so much sanity down. It is kind of traumatizing crawling through a worms intestinal tract.

I voted no in the survey thinking the OP wanted to get rid of "Sanity" not realizing they were talking about just the meter. I like the suggestion of having an easy and hard level that the player can choose that would leave or remove the meters (all but health). That's a really good idea for those wanting more of a challenge but not being restricted by the developers completely removing their function. Maybe a modder could do something to remove them?

I voted no in the survey thinking the OP wanted to get rid of "Sanity" not realizing they were talking about just the meter. I like the suggestion of having an easy and hard level that the player can choose that would leave or remove the meters (all but health). That's a really good idea for those wanting more of a challenge but not being restricted by the developers completely removing their function. Maybe a modder could do something to remove them?

Yeah, I get the feeling that some of the "no's" were misconstrued people thinking I didn't want Sanity. Wish I could reword the question.

I vote no. Only for the fact that this punishes people who are new to the game, more experienced players won't really have any trouble with it. I really don't think something that punishes new players just to make the HUD a little cleaner is a good idea.

Removing the sanity meter isn't for a cleaned HUD, but for a more challenging game. I think that after the hotfix, becoming insane is difficult. So, there will be no real punishment for new players, they will learn with their mistakes just like we all did when we played the game for the first time. Edited by Gabriel Morais

I vote no. Only for the fact that this punishes people who are new to the game, more experienced players won't really have any trouble with it. I really don't think something that punishes new players just to make the HUD a little cleaner is a good idea.

Wouldn't, by that logic, hounds be punishing to the player as well? I remember when I first started playing I hadn't researched the logsuit or the spear and all of the sudden hounds attacked. I had no way of defending myself and died. I was enraged, until I tried again and again until I realized that the logsuit and spear are there to help. The point being, that they would learn, as we will. It would actually promote forum usage for the newer players, as they'd want to know how to help defend themselves against sanity monsters and the like. It also could provide a more intense experience overall, because stuff not seen is often ignored, and how creepy is it if a Watcher looks in from your campsite when you don't expect it?

Removing the sanity meter isn't for a cleaned HUD, but for a more challenging game. I think that after the hotfix, becoming insane is difficult. So, there will be no real punishment for new players, they will learn with their mistakes.

What I'm trying to say is, would it really make it more difficult? On paper it seems as though it would, but in practice? I'm not so sure.

Wouldn't, by that logic, hounds be punishing to the player as well? I remember when I first started playing I hadn't researched the logsuit or the spear and all of the sudden hounds attacked. I had no way of defending myself and died. I was enraged, until I tried again and again until I realized that the logsuit and spear are there to help. The point being, that they would learn, as we will. It would actually promote forum usage for the newer players, as they'd want to know how to help defend themselves against sanity monsters and the like. It also could provide a more intense experience overall, because stuff not seen is often ignored, and how creepy is it if a Watcher looks in from your campsite when you don't expect it?

But hounds were made to only come after day 7, to give you some time to get on your feet. Insanity though, you could find a wormhole within a couple of days and start jumping back and forth.I'm all for making the game harder, just not in the early-game (which the Devs themselves have said is balanced how they want it).

Can we get old values before the hotfix after some time? Look at hounds, the number goes up the longer you survive the more hounds at once attack you.Problem with sanity is that it's static, so the nerf to sanity to make game easier for the first days destroyed sanity in whole game. Sanity numbers should change just like hounds, then sanity meter can stay, we can always make a mod that hides it.

What I'm trying to say is, would it really make it more difficult? On paper it seems as though it would, but in practice? I'm not so sure.But hounds were made to only come after day 7, to give you some time to get on your feet. Insanity though, you could find a wormhole within a couple of days and start jumping back and forth.I'm all for making the game harder, just not in the early-game (which the Devs themselves have said is balanced how they want it).

But for how new players play the game, they're going to be basically stuck on a day 1 ideology. They're not going to concern themselves with armaments until it's too late - at least, that's how it was for me. I actually was very anti-combat when I first played, I didn't even go near pigs, I thought they were a hostile mob. And, Sanity really isn't itself a first day problem unless you do something dumb, like hopping through wormholes, but it could be assumed that people would see the screen changing and then stop doing what they're doing. But there are some who'd make the mistake of keeping on going, and their punishment is the sanity monsters. If you play insanity as a first time playing, and, lets be honest, there aren't usually wormholes close to you, you'd be fine for at least the first 3 days.

But for how new players play the game, they're going to be basically stuck on a day 1 ideology. They're not going to concern themselves with armaments until it's too late - at least, that's how it was for me. I actually was very anti-combat when I first played, I didn't even go near pigs, I thought they were a hostile mob. And, Sanity really isn't itself a first day problem unless you do something dumb, like hopping through wormholes, but it could be assumed that people would see the screen changing and then stop doing what they're doing. But there are some who'd make the mistake of keeping on going, and their punishment is the sanity monsters. If you play insanity as a first time playing, and, lets be honest, there aren't usually wormholes close to you, you'd be fine for at least the first 3 days.

Not necessarily prepare for the hounds but, you would have some food and a small base going.I think we need to look more along the lines of what [MENTION=5551]_Q_[/MENTION] was suggesting which, in the end, is really the only option that wouldn't anger one side of the spectrum.

What I'm trying to say is, would it really make it more difficult? On paper it seems as though it would, but in practice? I'm not so sure.

I won't go deeper in the discussion because english isn't my main language and a simple writing mistake can ruin my arguing. :grumpy:SwiftShadow2 is leading the subject as I think about it, so, I'll let in his hands.

Not necessarily prepare for the hounds but, you would have some food and a small base going.I think we need to look more along the lines of what [MENTION=5551]_Q_[/MENTION] was suggesting which, in the end, is really the only option that wouldn't anger one side of the spectrum.

Maybe a toggle? I know everyone says toggle for everything, but - The old values definitely need to be incorporated. I'm just looking out for the people who don't get a full insane experience. :)

Sanity can be ignored. If you make Top Hat you can nullify effects of sanity, and then there is dapper vest, taffy and what not. After nerf/hotfix to sanity, you can chose if you want to be insane or not and that is very bad thing. With current values on sanity even hiding the meter wont do much in case of difficulty. Sanity is good idea but it needs more updates, and it must increase with days survived, we can even connect it to hunger: like if you eat only honey ham, you will lose sanity faster, there can be random sanity drops - characters having a mental crisis or something. Sanity is good idea but I hope it will get some more than it is now.

Sanity can be ignored. If you make Top Hat you can nullify effects of sanity, and then there is dapper vest, taffy and what not. After nerf/hotfix to sanity, you can chose if you want to be insane or not and that is very bad thing. With current values on sanity even hiding the meter wont do much in case of difficulty. Sanity is good idea but it needs more updates, and it must increase with days survived, we can even connect it to hunger: like if you eat only honey ham, you will lose sanity faster, there can be random sanity drops - characters having a mental crisis or something. Sanity is good idea but I hope it will get some more than it is now.

Perhaps repetitive tasks (like real life) slowly decrease sanity. Ex. chopping wood for a day straight, or staying at your base all day, or something.