Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'aaaaaaaaaaaa'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Hot Lava
    • [Hot Lava] - General Discussion
    • [Hot Lava] - Suggestions and Feedback
    • [Hot Lava] - Bug Tracker
    • [Hot Lava] - Strats and Records
    • [Hot Lava] - Developer Log
    • Hot Lava Latest Update
  • Griftlands
    • [Griftlands] - General Discussion
    • [Griftlands] - Suggestions and Feedback
    • [Griftlands] - Mods and Tools
    • [Griftlands] - Localization
    • [Griftlands] - Bug Tracker
    • [Griftlands] - Developer log
  • Oxygen Not Included
    • Oxygen Not Included FAQ
    • [Oxygen Not Included] - Developer log
    • [Oxygen Not Included] - General Discussion
    • [Oxygen Not Included] - Bug Tracker
    • [Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out!] - Bug Tracker
    • [Oxygen Not Included] - Mods and Tools
    • [Oxygen Not Included] - Suggestions and Feedback
    • [Oxygen Not Included] Art, Music & Lore
    • Community Challenges
    • [Oxygen Not Included] - Latest Content Update
    • [Oxygen Not Included] - Latest Animated Short
    • Oxygen Not Included DLC Alpha
  • Don't Starve Together
    • Don't Starve Together FAQ
    • [Don't Starve Together] Developer log
    • [Don't Starve Together] General Discussion
    • [Don't Starve Together] Beta Branch
    • [Don't Starve Together] PlayStation
    • [Don't Starve Together] Xbox One
    • [Don't Starve Together] Nintendo Switch
    • [Don't Starve Together] Bug Tracker
    • [Don't Starve Together] Trading
    • [Don't Starve Together] Server Bulletin
    • [Don't Starve Together] Dedicated Server Discussion
    • [Don't Starve Together] Mods and Tools
    • [Don't Starve Together] Tales of Life and Death
    • [DS + DST] Art, Music and Lore
    • [Don't Starve Together] Suggestions and Feedback
    • [Don't Starve Together] The Forge
    • [Don't Starve Together] The Gorge
    • [Archived Bugs]
  • Don't Starve
  • Klei Entertainment Games
  • Other Stuff

Categories

  • Don't Starve
    • Custom Character and Skins
    • Game Modifications
    • Language Packs
    • Modding Tools, Tutorials & Examples
    • Custom Maps

Categories

  • Oxygen Not Included
  • Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out!
  • Griftlands
  • Don't Starve: Hamlet
  • Don't Starve: Hamlet Early Access
  • Don't Starve Together
  • Don't Starve Together: Beta Branch
  • [Don't Starve Together] Nintendo Switch
  • [Don't Starve Together] PlayStation
  • Don't Starve Together: Return of Them
  • Don't Starve Together: The Gorge
  • Don't Starve Together: The Forge
  • Don't Starve Together: The Forge (Archive)
  • [Don't Starve Together] Xbox One
  • Don't Starve: Shipwrecked
  • Don't Starve: Shipwrecked [archive]
  • [Don't Starve Together] PS4 (archive)
  • [iOS] Don't Starve: Shipwrecked
  • Don't Starve: Hamlet Closed Beta (ARCHIVE)

Categories

  • Oxygen Not Included
  • Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out!
  • Griftlands
  • Hot Lava
  • Don't Starve Together
  • [Nintendo Switch] Don't Starve Together
  • [PlayStation] Don't Starve Together
  • [Xbox One] Don't Starve Together
  • Don't Starve: Hamlet
  • Don't Starve: Shipwrecked

Categories

  • Hot Lava - Bug Reports

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End



Biography


Location


Interests


Occupation


Favorite Game


Modder


Chester Kickstarter


Chester Kickstarter


Chester Kickstarter


Chester Kickstarter


Chester Kickstarter


Klei Featured Artist


Early Supporter


Early Supporter


Don't Starve


Don't Starve Together

Found 1 result

  1. Hello! I normally crawl out of my hole every millenia to hyperfixate on DST's lore. This is an exception, cus it seems alot of people don't really get the mechanics of the pirate raids and why people aren't too keen on them at the moment. The concept is absolutely fine, the issue comes with how plentiful both the frequency of raids and quantity of monkeys can be. So with that out of the way, I'll get right into it. IMPORTANT: I'm putting a TLDR for the mechanics at the very end, if you don't wanna bother reading the explanation. How do they spawn? The Timer So the first thing you need to know is when the game uses this formula to get the next time for a raid to possibly spawn. (TUNING.PIRATESPAWNER_BASEPIRATECHANCE*mult) + (math.random() * (1-mult) * TUNING.PIRATESPAWNER_BASEPIRATECHANCE ) The tuning value is 5xday_time, which is 1500 seconds. The multiplier depends on the day count. At below 10, it's 0.6, at below 20 it's 0.4, and so on until after day 80 where it'll be 0.2. What this means is at day 81 and past that, the timer will be (300 + (0-1200)). That is to say, the timer will be anywhere from 5 minutes to 3.125 days for the chance in the outermost zone. We'll go more into why I specified that soon. The effect of range Now, you need to know that these raids have a range of how far they'll cover, with the center of that range being the Monkey Queen. This range spans up to 200 tiles (a regular world is about 425x425 tiles). This here is a rough example of how large the range is (the black circle). While the island has a tendency to spawn near a corner, it doesn't seem to be directly in one and ends up taking up about a third of the map in more cases than some. Now you're probably wondering what the 3 circles are about. Well, the closer you are, the more likely the chance for a raid and the more 'weight' the raid timer gets. Weight What weight does essentially, is make the timer go down faster. At the outermost circle it goes down normally (300-1500 seconds), in the middle circle it goes down 2 times as fast (150-750 seconds) and at the inner circle it does down 4 times as fast (75-375 seconds). Chance Now you might be thinking "well I've been near the island before for longer than 3 minutes and never got raided" and that's because once this timer hits 0, it's a chance! Once it hits zero, it's a 10% chance to get raided on the outermost and middle circles, then a 20% chance in the inner circle. The Pirates themselves Okay so, they can spawn alot, but surely they're not that bad right? Well, yes and no. The amount of Powder Monkeys So, the amount of Powder Monkeys scales with the time. Below day 15 it's 2 monkeys with a 70% chance of an additional one Below day 30 it's 2 monkeys with a 70% chance of an additional one and a 30% chance for another Below day 60 it's 3 monkeys with a 70% chance of an additional one and a 30% chance for another At day 61 and above it's 4 monkeys with a 70% chance of an additional one. That is to say, after day 61 you'll more than likely get 5 Powder Monkeys. So what do they do? Upon reaching your boat, they have a very specific set of actions they do. They'll drop your anchor, break your masts if they're moving the boat, raise your malbatross masts, and then loot your chests and then you. Once they steal 4 x the amount of powder monkeys present, they'll leave. If they steal from you, they won't damage you unless you hit them first, in which case all of them deal 27.2 damage (axe damage). The Prime Mate will stay on their boat and defend it, or leave if all the Powder Monkeys are dead and you're not on the boat. The Prime Mate is a stronger Krampus essentially. 350 HP, 51 damage, and an attack period of 1 with its animation being much faster than Krampus, making it very hard to kite on a boat of all things. They'll likely get a free hit on you if you're going onto their boat as well. How can you avoid them? Well, there's quite a few ways actually if you end up getting the raid. They won't bother you if you're asleep, if you hit their boat with a cannon they'll leave, if you give them enough items they'll leave,, if you give them a banana or cooked banana (just one) they'll leave, if you're Wonkey they'll leave. So, quite alot of non-violent ways to deal with this. All of which however, net you nothing but stolen loot. Now that loot IS in an X marks the spot somewhere on the map, but you're talking about 1 small X on the entire map. While you can find it and it always spawns on the shore, it's gonna be incredibly tedious. How can you fight them? Not well! Is the answer. Now for the sake of this argument, we'll assume there's no character specific solutions. No Wendy, no Wolfgang, no Wigfrid, no Wormwood, no Wonkey. If I had to be a specific character just to go fight Crab King because my world generation decided to hate me, that'd just suck. There should be a route for all characters so we'll be doing that. Furthermore, we're assuming you're killing 5 powder monkeys followed by the Prime Mate for the Tricorn Hat/Black Flag/Battle Paddle/Map alongside the Cutlesses and Bandanas from the regular monkeys. So, kiting can't really work. You're on a boat, very little place to actually kite 5 enemies who are on the boat. With Malbatross it's just one and they aren't on the boat so there's more wiggle room there. Well what about tanking? Well you're dealing with 5 monkeys dealing 27.2 damage each with a fairly short attack period. With a log suit and spear you'd almost surely be dead unless you have alot of healing foods and multiple log suits or football helmets. With a dark sword it's more manageable but you'll more than likely be almost dead. Which is fine, you have food, though you'll certainly take alot of resources to do that. With a marble suit and a dark sword you lose a negligible amount of health and about 50% of the marble suit, meaning one suit is good for 2 raids basically. Which sounds fine until you remember they can come quite frequently if you're unlucky (which you will be, eventually). Well, tanking seems to have okay results. What about a pan flute? Well, the monkeys have herd mentality. That is to say, they'll wake up early once you hit one of them. You can kill about 2 before they fully wake up but then that means you'd likely need at least 2 uses of a pan flute for 1 raid. That'sssss okay until you remember the frequency of these as well. Pan flute might not be super used but the frequency of use in this scenario would actually be quite a bit high. Ice staff? Well, maybe! Issue is the ice staff counts as a hit to the monkeys so they'll be angry, and you can freeze one or mayyyybe two before they reach your boat. At which point they'll attack properly. The issue with ice staffs is you need to constantly try to retarget otherwise you'll just keep freezing the same one, and on console/controller that's just....not gonna work out even more because of how targetting works there. Fire staff? You'll burn your own boat. There's no stopping them coming to yours outside of a cannon, and then you get no loot. You could have a flingo to freeze them as well but.....we're getting into cheese territory there and that's just something that's up to a matter of taste. If you wanna, go for it. If not, then don't. Cannons? You CAN drown the monkeys with 2 shots. The only issue is the Prime Mate goes overboard sooooo no loot from them. All you get are Powder Monkey loot (atm it seems bugged so no trinkets) Followers? Followers would work! The issue is that if you turn into Wonkey then Pigmen and Bunnymen get hostile to you even if previously loyal. That means you can pretty much just do 1 raid before you need to go to the Moon Quay to get the trinkets off of you. Granted you probably would want to do that anywayyyyy but not everyone would want to and maybe you're Wonkey already so, no followers. Wortox and Webber also get this issue. Wurt doesssss if the King isn't active and the Merms are homeless. So as we can see! Not much options to confront these guys head on. Klei seems to want to incentivise just killing them when you're prepared and otherwise giving them some loot, given that yesterday they made the max cap on the Powder Monkeys 1 higher (from 4 to 5) and provided us some leeway with them simply stealing from you rather than also dealing damage. With that being said.....having one solution which actually nets you loot be made even harder definitely isn't the way to go about it. It'd be one thing to just keep it at 4 max and even then it'd still be a tad too much. 5 is just excessive. What would make it more reasonable? Dealing with 5 powder monkeys and an (essentially) Krampus is too much ESPECIALLY when the Accursed Trinket briefly stuns you up to well....5 times, granted if you're on your own boat then it's only a problem 4 times but 80% of the time isn't really an improvement from 100%. It makes it so you deal even less damage to em. Alot of people have suggested this but scaling it with people rather than time would be much better. 3 powder monkeys is much more reasonable to deal with at once. It'll hurt for sure, but you won't neeeeeed some of the best armor or loot to fight them. To compensate as well with trinkets, the Prime Mate could potentially hold 2 so you still go Wonkey within 2 raids if anything. The raids are a great concept. I love them and I know alot of people like them as well. The raids are still by all means something to look out for and like all things in this game, they only seem less scary or annoying because you have the knowledge of how they can be handled, but just because you do doesn't mean it isn't still annoying to try to get something out of them. Thanks for everyone who magically read my thesis statement. Sorry this probably isn't what you were expecting from me but given that the update is coming out tomorrow, I felt like people need a proper idea on how this mechanic works to see that it's still not quiiiiite there in terms of being player friendly (before you say this game shouldn't be player friendly, I'm talking about game design wise. You can't argue that the game design shouldn't be player friendly because it's supposed to be hard. Even difficulty can be done tastefully rather than artificially.) That's all for now though, see you around and I hope you enjoyed my silly little post. TLDR: After day 81 (you get 4-5 Powder Monkeys by now alongside the fastest time): Within 75 tiles of the Monkey Queen: 20% chance every 1.25-6.25 minutes to get a raid. Within 150 tiles: 10% chance every 2.5-12.5 minutes to get a raid. Within 200 tiles: 10% chance every 5-25 minutes to get a raid. Game map's normally about 425x425 tiles and given the position of the island most of the time, the raids will encompass about a third of the map normally. Powder Monkeys deal 27.2 damage and will only attack if you attack first (herd mentality so they'll all attack and will wake up early). Prime Mate deals 51 damage and is essentially Krampus on a boat, which is something that has given me trauma with accordion noises as of now. 5 angry monkeys followed by boat Krampus alongside Accursed Trinket stunning is pretty much only doable with tanking if you want the drops, which is still a resource drain and shouldn't be the only way to get their loot (Prime Mate hops overboard before a boat breaks so you can't get the loot from destroying the pirate boat with a cannon or something).