Sign in to follow this  

Controlling one rockets' launch with automation switches all connected platforms to "automation controlled"


Earl_of_Earlier
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I have a rocket that is set to do return trips to a space POI. When I use automation to control it's launching, all connected platforms deactivate the "Start launch sequence" button and switch to "Automation controlled".

20220413103308_1.jpg

20220413103257_1.jpg


Steps to Reproduce
  • Build connected rocket platforms
  • Build an automation wire to control one of the rockets' launching
  • See the others switch to "automation controlled" too

Rat's Nest.sav

Sign in to follow this  


User Feedback


Destroying and rebuilding the automation wire seemed to fix the issue during my play of your save.  The left rocket seemed to retain its manual control even after the third left and returned.

<Opinion>

Rockets need a significant TLC update.  There seems to be several issues (mostly minor non game breaking) with the current Spaced-Out Rocket system.

-Often, locked out buildings inside will get perma locked without manual intervention (example: during the next flight they remain locked).

-*As you're experiencing, launch automation is 'sticky' sometimes (example: even rockets launched to other asteroids retain their automation requirements making return launches impossible without automation construction intervention).

-rarely, dups will refuse to path into a valid spacefarer module (example: they wait standing over the center door tiles even while suffocating)

-*liquid fuel modules accept liquids they cannot use and cannot be drained of.

In most cases (other than *ed entries), these issues resolve with save and reload, but with large saves this can cost a player 5-10 full minutes (or more I'm sure for some) of down time.

My apologies for attempting to highjack your thread Earl.  This is a topic that's been ringing in my mind for awhile now.  It's become a constant issue in late game as the rocket system seems... less than polished.

</Opinion>

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to re-build and re-load and all that.

I fully agree that rocketry is still janky. It's unfortunate because 80% of the Spaced Out rocketry system is amazingly fun, but the remaining 20% are _so_ frustrating they almost eat the former 80% up with their little idiosyncracies. There's just no way having rocketry be hands-off, even after painstakingly setting up sophisticated spacefarer modules and automation.

Some additional points to your excellent list:

  • All rocket engines should have the full set of automation outputs (fully loaded is only available for engines with integrated fuel as far as I can see, notably hydrogen-rockets do not have that option)
  • All rocket modules that can carry any sort of cargo should have automation ports to a) enable/disable loading and unloading and b) see if the module is full or not
  • The automation port "ready for launch" should not include pilot & crew boarded. Instead, it should work just like the manual launch: Crew & Pilot will board the rocket once the "launch rocket" signal is being given
  • The "crew" and "all" options need tweaking, there needs to be an option that only allows crew in without locking them inside
  • More buildings need to have grounded controls, notably suit checkpoints
  • Rockets should be able to plug into the power grid without the need for a battery module as an interface, why not just have a power connection at the engine?
  • Door access settings should be available for the Interior Hatch of rockets
  • Rockets need to be re-nameable
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm with you almost entirely.  Just some little things that add up to a lot of frustration at times.

I'm attempting to make some TLC mods for spaced out.   I'm calling the first the Rocket Umbilical.  I'm going to attempt to remove the spacefarer ports, the solar and battery electrical ports, and possibly the refuel ports from fuel/oxidizer tanks.  (I know many people use rockets inside the base interior so this will not be their cup of tea.) Then using a building similar to the material loader/unloader buildings put all the connections to that building.  This would clean up the remaining supply lines we have to weave up into the rocket pathways. I like what they did with the loader/unloaders over the vanilla rocketry setup.  Just going to try to extend that for a true single rocket to base connection (I mean real rocketry uses umbilical setups so why not?)

I'm also keen on changing the fuel system so the Petroleum Engines will be "Hydrocarbon Engines" that burn crude oil, ethanol, petroleum, and finally methane. (but don't accept anything else... ya know, like water... as they do now :roll:) Relatively, these fuels would increase the range with methane being the best and crude oil the worst.

  • Gives more rocketry options
  • Burns most fuels
  • Allows players to jump right into those engines without much prep
  • Allows for more range before the mighty hydrogen engine is unlocked (aiming for around 28 tiles from two 900kg tanks of methane)
  • The best fuel (methane) is readily attainable before super coolant, fully renewable, and adds similar challenges from late game into the mid game

What do you think? Any modders out there interested in a collaberation?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2022 at 4:09 PM, Earl_of_Earlier said:

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to re-build and re-load and all that.

I fully agree that rocketry is still janky. It's unfortunate because 80% of the Spaced Out rocketry system is amazingly fun, but the remaining 20% are _so_ frustrating they almost eat the former 80% up with their little idiosyncracies. There's just no way having rocketry be hands-off, even after painstakingly setting up sophisticated spacefarer modules and automation.

Some additional points to your excellent list:

  • All rocket engines should have the full set of automation outputs (fully loaded is only available for engines with integrated fuel as far as I can see, notably hydrogen-rockets do not have that option)
  • All rocket modules that can carry any sort of cargo should have automation ports to a) enable/disable loading and unloading and b) see if the module is full or not
  • The automation port "ready for launch" should not include pilot & crew boarded. Instead, it should work just like the manual launch: Crew & Pilot will board the rocket once the "launch rocket" signal is being given
  • The "crew" and "all" options need tweaking, there needs to be an option that only allows crew in without locking them inside
  • More buildings need to have grounded controls, notably suit checkpoints
  • Rockets should be able to plug into the power grid without the need for a battery module as an interface, why not just have a power connection at the engine?
  • Door access settings should be available for the Interior Hatch of rockets
  • Rockets need to be re-nameable

I'm fully agreeing to the whole list!

Especially "The automation port "ready for launch" should not include pilot & crew boarded. Instead, it should work just like the manual launch: Crew & Pilot will board the rocket once the "launch rocket" signal is being given. "

I would add to the initial report that beside automating a platform makes it impossible to manually control all connected platforms, it includes also the platforms of the target location of the rocket.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now