Upgraded my RAM today to 12GB still ONI couldn't cap my monitor refresh rate

Calvin Valerian
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Continuation from my another bug report

Please take note the power grid connected to my PSU is 229V AC which isn't the same as in US/Canada because I'm from Indonesia. And 229VAC is nearly 2x more powerful than 120VAC and and that level is all my gaming rig components work on daily basis.

Now let's take a look at how Oxygen Not Included utilize resources via Task Manager

• I see the game occupies more spaces in RAM memory with 12GB RAM installed.
  • There wasn't much work on CPU either.
  • 0%-1% use of my disk (C:) which is an SSD where ONI was installed. (I don't know how everything works when a save file is being loaded. But if possible can you make speedier load of save file? Since I didn't see anything going on in SSD side, and there was still more CPU resources untouched)

By referring from this...

The first few seconds after I unpause the game, right after the base was fully loaded there was minimal FPS increase by using 12GB of RAM than 8GB.

8GB of RAM:   37 FPS

12GB of RAM: 43 FPS

There is definitely an improvement but not to an extent of a fully playable large base.

Who knows you might need these information for future use. You now have the information of how well this fun game your team created perform in the opposite side of this planet and I'm supporting your work and I want this game become what it deserves to be.

Steps to Reproduce
upgrade the RAM from 8GB to 12GB

User Feedback

1. Whats the bug here? 

2. 12GB is fine, but not enough. I see spikes of 14GB on my rig for ONI alone, with 16GB installed.  Others report of even more, with 32GB installed. 

3. The RAM is not your real issue. Your CPU is an old one from 2011, Ivy Bridge generation. Compared to CPUs nowadays, its a toaster.

4- Dont rely on Windows-Status-Display when it comes to CPU-usage. You´ll never come to a real 100% usage in fact, even if Windows tells you it does. (Your CPU-Cooler would burn if it was on 100% all cores...)

Your main problem is the IPC (instructions per cycle) on this CPU is not very good. Thats what ONI uses the most. So there is the instructions-pipeline, und this one is always full and everything waits for beeing processed. 

If you really want more frames, you need to upgrade your CPU, and while on it, add a bit more RAM. 16GB should do fine. 

Share this comment

1. Whats the bug here? 

I did components upgrades to see if this method will increase my FPS when rendering map with a large base. I was still trying to figure out what went wrong and who did that.

3. The RAM is not your real issue. Your CPU is an old one from 2011, Ivy Bridge generation. Compared to CPUs nowadays, its a toaster.

What CPU you might think suitable for me?

4- Dont rely on Windows-Status-Display when it comes to CPU-usage. You´ll never come to a real 100% usage in fact, even if Windows tells you it does. (Your CPU-Cooler would burn if it was on 100% all cores...)

I've once reached 100% CPU usage with older CPUs and with every CPU upgrades the more and more harder to find one, but... doesn't mean low CPU usage is bad; if I can get the FPS I deserve (76Hz) for how expensive I bought my IPS LCD monitor for; like 50% CPU usage and 99% GPU usage, THAT IS PERFECT. Why? Because I've been tinkering around with computer parts to see how video games perform in older & newer computer hardwares.

But in my case I'm seeing:

• 44% Utilisation of CPU
  • 23% Utilisation 2.1/6.0GB of Dedicated GPU Memory used (GTX 1060 6GB)
  • 33-44 FPS while fully zoomed out (cycle 1933)

I definitely know there's something wrong going on. So what happen to the CPU? Why the CPU doesn't wanna tell the GPU to generate more fps while there's still a fat 4.9GB of unused Dedicated GPU Memory.

Edited by Calvin Valerian

Share this comment

You´re on the complete wrong way my friend... You are thinking ONI does rely on GPU in any way, but it does not. An iGPU can render ONI just fine, believe me. Please forget about your GPU. Its useless for this game. The game is, in graphic terms, as simple as it gets nowadays. 

The low FPS you see are NOT from your GPU. Its because of all the calulations going on inside the CPU-Part. Pathfinding, pipe-networking, Automation. This eats lots and lots of CPU time. And everything is bound to the main engine of the game. So, the more calculations are in the doing, the less performant the engine itself is. It all scales with the IPC of your CPU. The more calculations per tact it can handle, the better for the game. But there are guys on this forum, stresstesting ONI with powerful i9 CPUs, and still wont get stable 60FPS. 

And while your CPU is bound to do the math, the GPU sits and waits, wanting to do more, but there is just nothing to do.

Please get rid of the "FPS = GPU" thinking. Its not. Every games gemometry is done by the CPU, and then filled by the GPU. If your CPU is to weak, the GPU will wait, and you will get bad FPS. In case of ONI, there are thousands and thousands of calculations going on, that are not related with the GPU in any kind. So you could use the most powerful GPU, and it would change nothing. 

And what you see, when there is 44% CPU, its just a number. It switches a) over all cores if some are idle. (Thats what windows does, to keep them cool and not let 1 core doing everything) and b) The CPU could do so much more, but other things, currently not needed. 

Imagine a CPU as building site. While the electrician could work, he cant, because there are now walls yet. They are still in construction. 

So you have 1 electrician and one mason. Thats 100% together. 50% are idle, because nothing to do. The other 50% are busy. But there is no way, the electrician could build a wall, and vice versa. Later its again 50%, the mason stands around, and the electrician does his job. 

Also it would be of no good, to go out there, and buy a 24 core monster CPU, because the game wont scale well over many cores. 

Share this comment