Spaced out DLC: Solar pannels become "overpowered" with the removal of meteors

Jochann
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

With the removal of meteor from the asteroid surface, the solar panels become a way to trivialize the power management problem (wich I consider one of the most challenging). With no meteors the solar panels can generate a huge amount of energy and in a "safe" way, without imprevisibility or all the anciliary systems once needed to protect the pannels (bunker doors, space scanners), also, it reduces the amount of batteries needed to store energy as there is no more "worst case scenario"

This become even "worse" considering the new areas with the teleport and warp chambers where you can deconstruct the windows and window tiles to get glass, than you just need to rush to the surface and build a solar array to get free and inifite energy before the cycle 75. I got from 2 manual generators to an array of panels, making all other forms of power generation useless.

Steps to Reproduce

1 - rush to the surface digging up.

2 - rush the renewable energy research to unlock solar panels

3 - deconstruct some windows and window tiles from the teleport and warp chambers to get some glass

4 - use the glass to build a solar array

5 - don't worry about energy anymore, just increase the battery bank or solar array as needed.

• Like 3

User Feedback

I think it's designed that way. You can't really use other forms of power on the starting asteroid. You only have slugs, manual generators and solar.

Share this comment

I agree with you about the lack of energy sources on the starting asteroid. But, I think this is intended to be a new challege, now they divided all the resources we once found in the asteroid between a half dozen of smaller asteroids that we need to explore and create "colonies" to bring those resources to the main base or even create various bases.

Now if you want to build large bases as we used to do, we will need to deal with some logistical problems to bring resources from other asteroids. As for example, there is a small asteroid full of crude oil that could feed a lot of petroleum or gas generator, but you would need to bring the petroleum.

The way the solar pannels are working now, you just don't need to care about searching for energy resources anymore. No more fun building crude oil boilers and condensers to get natrual gas hehehe.

Share this comment

Interesting. People first complained about meteors, then about lack of power at the game start; now about too much power. I hope you did not install solar panels with overlap to produce even more power.

Nobody is forcing to use all that. I did not deconstruct POIs as they look nice with glass windows; yes, I did not have solar power right at the beginning until I researched solar panels and glass production. I did enjoy free solar power in the middle of the game but then the number of panels started shrinking as I built more rocket platforms. So now with all that industry running solar power is barely enough... (and supported by 20 slugs at night).

not to mention that in order to bring all that power down to the base, HV wire is required and refined metal is needed to built it which is almost not available at the starting planet (not talking about iron deposits at the bottom that I used for steel production).

I may even need to add extra generating power to maintain production at planet 3. Not talking about planets 4, 5 and 6 which has much smaller space to install solar panels and I have a strange feeling that meteors will be allowed at these planets.

Share this comment

I think it's quite valid feedback, the point of the game (at least in survival) has always been the constant struggle to keep the colony running. Rushing solar panels is quite easy and you're basically sabotaging your own fun, it's not the player's job to balance the game.

I'm around cycle 300 with only the first two colonies and haven't yet had the need to start colonizing the third planet. Both my colonies are running very comfortably in auto pilot even with refined metal, glass, petroleum and plastic production. 

I understand designing a game like this isn't easy, and also that this is early access, but dismissing the feedback by saying "you can choose not to use it" seems unnecesarily dismissive about a real issue, no offense.

I've always admired the base game because it constantly walked that line between complete destruction and boring stability, I'd be quite sad if the DLC worked differently.

Share this comment

Lmao some players really argue about everything

They´re not that op tho, my main base has been powered for a lot of time by the solar panels until recently my solar panels didnt produced enough,had to change back to coal generators (working on ethanol generators)

Share this comment