Shower water usage

Redien
  • Pending

Hello,

I dont know if its known, but shower is taking 9kg of water when used. Intake is 10kg/s and output is 1.000g/s contaminated water. I am also afraid that toilet does the same.

Save is included. Shower is disabled atm.

Great game. Keep up the good work !

Doupe.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Pump - Shower - output

This issue has not been confirmed by a developer yet.

Report Bug

User Feedback

if you go to episode 16 of Skye Storme's let's play he has a solution to the problem until the developers sort it out

Share this comment

there is no problem with shower, you just think that it intakes more then it need. I know there are some strange things with water but if you create closed circle with half of pips full of water you can go forever. Simple create water purifier and connect them to showers and toilets and you water will stay as it was. Of course first you need to fill pipes with water and the simple destroy that one unneeded pipe. I know that there are problems with water disappearing, but probably the pump is that who makes water disappear because sometimes it seems that it pumps 10kg in pipe even there is no place for 10kg. There are times when happens strange things.

Edited by supo92

Share this comment

I see 10 1000g packets leaving the shower, the shower consuming 100g of water every few ticks and dumping 1000g dirty water out the pipe once it consumes 1000g worth of water while a dupe showers, and the intake pipe just forces what it can into the 5kg storage.

Starting to think the biggest issue with the game is that nobody bothers to read the fine details and focuses solely on the big picture.

And for the developers: in ElementConverter.ConvertMass why is there a "delta time" if 0.1 is hardcoded to be added to the accumulatedTime.
In the case for the shower the interval is 1, which gives it 10 ticks for an output. The delta time is passed in as 0.1 so what happens once the delta time is no longer passed as 0.1? Might be worth looking into.

Speaking of accumulatedTime, shouldn't this be serialized? Mass will be lost if it was partially consumed during a save and reload.

Wait seriously. the shower has a work time of 45... seconds? Yet dupes only partially work the shower "chore", so the entire colony is slowly washing a future dupe who completes the shower chore. Explains the strange progress bar then and the fact that dupes never get clean from them.

Can safely say after thoroughly studying the shower IL, it's a terrible idea to use them right now.
The toilet is perfectly fine though. It only consumes and converts after the chore is finished, and there is no consequence for interruption from a save and reload.

Edited by Risu

Share this comment

10 hours ago, futrettamer said:

if you go to episode 16 of Skye Storme's let's play he has a solution to the problem until the developers sort it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu20iX83fiU

Right there, its actually the same problem as for showers, when Duplies are using it.

Well I will need to wait to research the pipe valve :) 

As for shower, when I looked closely in my game, it intakes one bubble 10 kg of water and was outputting 1 bubble of 1.000g contaminated water every buble tick on both sides when used. There is sometimes a break every 3 or 4 bubles, but again on both sides of shower (intake/output).

I really dont see a situation, that it intake 1 buble of 10kg water, and outputs 10 bubles of 1.000g of contaminated water. Which should be doing.

I dont know if bubles in pipes have bad description about how much water they are holding. From my point of view its looking that 9kg of water per buble is disappearing.

Share this comment

Note that a moving bubble only indicates flow. You're overlooking that only 100g of water is being moving into it. You'll find the remainder at the end of the chain, possibly sitting at the output of a pump, which is instantly replaced using the water in its storage.

Share this comment

When I mouse over a bubble it clearly says, it contains 10 kg of water on input side and 1 kg of contaminated on output.

xxx Toilets is working properly, there is a storage of 5 kg of water. Input is 10 Kg per bubble and output is 5 kg of contaminated water. And only one bubble of water is input per use. xxx - Wrong

Edit: When i am thinking about it, toilet is also weird. When you have 5 kg of water in storage, that water is after use flushed down into 5kg of contaminated water. Input should be 5 kg, or a bubble of 10 kg of water should be for 2 use. Instead of that, it uses 10kg of water per 1 use and 5 kg of water disappear.

Edited by Redien

Share this comment

.... ....

@Risu you have to make a video with clearly pointing out where the water blobs split or they wont notice it. :)

Share this comment

.... ....

I still dont know where you are pointing at. At the storage of a shower ? Or on a liquid vent ?

Btw the toilets are also broken from my point of view :D made and edit on a post above.

Share this comment

Just follow the 10 kg down the line and find where there is not 10 kg and watch it. Simple.

Share this comment

You mean the input of the shower ? There is no more description on it. Could you post a picture or something ?

Share this comment

.... ....

Man, you just did me more mess in it than before :D

There is 1 bubble of 10 kg water input, and output is like 10 bubbles each of them with 10 kg of water in that bridge.

Share this comment

8 hours ago, Risu said:

Wait seriously. the shower has a work time of 45... seconds? Yet dupes only partially work the shower "chore", so the entire colony is slowly washing a future dupe who completes the shower chore.

Yes, they do, lol. I tought this was known, so I never bothered reporting it.

8 hours ago, Risu said:

Can safely say after thoroughly studying the shower IL, it's a terrible idea to use them right now.

Yes, it is. Plus, Dupes will go for some second under the shower after EVERY single contact with contaminated things. I always build showers and immediately disable them, keeping them for the rewarding cycles of when a big job is done.

Share this comment

Now and then the least complex arrangements are ideal: a great 1.5 or 1.8 gallons for each moment showerhead can cut waste both while water is warming up and keeping in mind that you're in the shower. For whatever length of time that it's adequately effective to wash off shampoo/conditioner and soap much like a standard 2.5 gpm shower head, you won't have to shower any more, either. 

There are basically three sorts of low-flow showerheads: 

1. Air circulation: adding air to the water stream. 

2. Beating/flow restriction: confining the water flow yet influencing the water to beat or generally move, to give the figment of higher flow. 

3. Offbeat nozzles, that utilization some strategy other than customary little gaps ("jets"). 

In class 3, there's my most loved showerhead yet: a little California startup, High Sierra Showerheads, makes showerheads with nozzles in light of sprinkler head innovation. These have a solitary huge opening, split the water into two streams by means of a stick, and hammer them back together just before exit. 

We have two in our home and cherish them. What's more, some way or another, they additionally convey high temp water - from a standing begin, even on a frosty morning, a ton quicker than any showerhead we've utilized before ... a side advantage I don't see however appreciate.

Share this comment