I've got it solved, but I'm describing the issue so that one might find the solution, having a similar problem.
I used to have this problem while I was participating in Steam Beta. Game was crashing on startup. Log stated:
<RI> Initializing input. <RI> Input initialized. desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0 Crash!!! (...) ========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ================== RtlLookupFunctionEntry returned NULL function.
Switching to Steam production build fixed the issue that time (might be only correlation). But now the problem came back and it seems I worked out what's the real cause.
I use RivaTuner and MSI Afterburner for OSD. When I close RivaTuner, the game starts without any issues. I checked which setting is causing it. If you turn off "Custom Direct3D support", the game crashes. The issue might affect more software like that.
- install Riva Tuner - turn off "Custom Direct3D support" - run the client