Ocean asteroid map layout gets mangled over time

staring_frog
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

UPD It turned out to be a different issue: see comments.

"Water moonlet" is an interesting problem to tackle. But right now it just dries up over time due to being exposed to space. I guess that's not what was intended.

Steps to Reproduce

Find a water moonlet, let it be for a while.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

What you're seeing is the water compressing over time I believe. Some water might be lost initially as it settles. Note that in the update going live tomorrow the starting island is moved down slightly. 

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

10 hours ago, EricKlei said:

What you're seeing is the water compressing over time I believe. Some water might be lost initially as it settles. Note that in the update going live tomorrow the starting island is moved down slightly. 

Updates are great news ^_^
Actually I checked and that ocean looses mass with a tremendous speed. Pressure is usual 1 ton per tile. Compressing starts happening right away once area is explored and settles in quite fast, in a couple of minutes. But in this case mass loss happens over a long time for maaany cycles and still goes on.

Edited by staring_frog

Share this comment

If you share your save file I'll take a look to see what's happening. I generated a new save on today's update and using the dev debug tools observed no water loss over 10 cycles. Here's where it stabilized. Water near the graphite caves is 1.4 tons per tile.

Ideally the water level shouldn't drop but it's difficult to fineness the worldgen rules to accomplish this.

image.png

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

@EricKlei I get nearly the same picture. It turns out it's not drying up issue, it's a bug with compressing water: some random tiles bordering with air in the caves at the bottom freak out and get up to 30 tons/tile with tiles right next to them with 1.4ton/tile which leads to this tile layout malfunction.
I see that now tiles gain pressure with depth, that's cool!

Actually I remember zipping up a save file and dropping it at the opening post, but it's lost, damn it! Anyway I'll try again.

Laboratory.zip

UPD I updated the post title to reflect the issue.

UPD2 And another bug I guess is that worldgen is not updated to reflect the new physics with pressure increasing with depth.

Edited by staring_frog

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

In the next update I've increased the water amount per tile on the water asteroid. In my handful of test maps it seems to do a much better job at keeping a higher water line. Some of the water will spill into space but given how much more there is that's not really an issue.

Regarding the liquid compressing into a single tile, I think there's a rare issue at worldgen where it can create highly compressed tiles. If the compression is happening regularly when the game is running that's more the nature of how the liquid simulation works.

• Thanks 2

Share this comment