I wish I knew where this performance issue is coming from so I'm hoping posting about it will help me and others with a similar problem out.
Unpausing the game on my main save will cap frames at 13 fps - 9 fps if viewing the starmap and 15 fps if I delete most of the maps in sandbox/debug mode. Currently a bit short of 2000 cycles with 7 dupes and 8 asteroids discovered. The savefile was started a few days before the Buff and Shine update.
My sandbox save on 200 cycles with no other planetoids discovered gets 50 fps just fine.
I noticed my frames were getting low at about 20 fps, which was before I started exploring most of the star map. The more I explored the lower the performances got. I'm not sure if this is coincidental, but I wasn't building much at the time either so... maybe discovering new asteroids did this. My RAM is also constantly capped so this might cause issues too.
What is NOT impacting performance:
- Hardware. My cpu runs at 15-30% and gpu is at 20-40%. Doing most of the things below reduces cpu/gpu usage, but fps doesn't increase.
- Dupes pathfinding. I only have 7 dupes and locking them up or killing them doesn't increase performances.
- Debris. All my resources are piled up, and locking it away or deleting it in debug doesn't increase performances.
- Critter pathfinding. No intense ranching. Unless there are 300 Moos stacked inside a cell somewhere, this is probably not the case.
- Active mods. Disabling all mods doesn't increase performances. Always possible there is a save corruption, though...
- Corrupted game files. Validating game files doesn't increase performances.
- Texture/resolution settings. Changing to the lowest doesn't increase performances.
- Buildings and elements. Deleting all my built structures actually helps performances a bit by giving it roughly 2 more fps.
- Daily reports. I've installed a mod that deletes all but the last 10, but this didn't increase performances.
- Intel quadcore i7-7700HQ
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
- 12 GB RAM
If anybody could test my savefile and see if they get similar performance drops, this would help me know if this is a problem on my end.
Thanks in advance for any help received.
Simply loading up the save file and unpausing the game.
Edit: forgot to disable a mod before saving.