Extreme performance degradation

theBRNK
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Known Issue

I start the game at a rock solid 60 FPS, and usually stay there for the first 50 cycles and standard base expansions. The farther I go though, the worse it gets. I am currently on cycle 300 of this save with 20 dupes, and my FPS has dropped to less than 10, 100% process bound. Creatures, dupes, etc also experiencing glitchy behavior and "hanging" often with stuck animations or lack of movement orders issued. Restarting the game gets the FPS back up around 18-20, but it quickly drops again.

Things of note - I have around 300 shine bugs, but in other saves where I kept few or zero animals, the performance degradation was the same. Same goes for dupe count. The slow down does appear to correlate to the base size directly, though I am not sure it correlates to amount of machinery running. I can use debug mode to remove fog of war so that the whole map is functioning at once, and there is zero impact on game performance.

PC spec - AMD 2700x and 980ti, 16 gigs ram. Neither CPU nor GPU are anywhere near heavy load when experiencing this behavior.

Steps to Reproduce
Play the game for a long time.
  • Sad 1

User Feedback

Sounds like pathfinding. The more paths dupes can choose to reach a certain destination, the worse it gets. 

For example: you dig to the surface, and everything is fine, because dupes can only walk ON the surface in a straight line. Now build a jetpack station, and let dupes fly. The framerates will drop like hell, because now the whole surface AREA is availlable for pathing. See it like an excel-sheel. Many many rows, both verticaly and horizontaly to choose from, and also change hight along the path.

Same, but in a weaker impact, goes to pathing in your asteroid. The more ways, the performance degrades.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Changed Status to Known Issue

Hey, thanks for bringing this up. There are several known performance bottlenecks in the game, and while performance is always tricky to solve and I can't make promises, we are going to be working extensively on performance over the coming months.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hey, thanks for bringing this up. There are several known performance bottlenecks in the game, and while performance is always tricky to solve and I can't make promises, we are going to be working extensively on performance over the coming months.

Been lamenting for this for over an year! Hopefully it'll be fixed with the coming updates!!!

I can run Assassin's Creed, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Subnautica etc in 50+ FPS easily. ONI is barely toughing 5fps in later stages :( 

Share this comment

12 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

I suggest that replicants in jetpacks by default would use the floor and stairs, but fly to the knapsacks in impassable places. This will greatly simplify the calculation of the path and make jet packs more convenient.

Share this comment

Agreed on that overman, it appears that in any room with height greater than 2 they choose to fly. It would also conserve fuel and reduce CO2 levels.

I started a new colony without jetpacks and with pathing limited as much as possible, and I am now closing in on cycle 400 and still maintaining 60 fps. However, there must be a memory leak or something, because I have to restart the game every 4 hours or so due to at the 3 hour mark the frame rate starts steadily dropping.

Share this comment