Sign in to follow this  

Automation and ventilation not synced - Resolved

npjohns
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Old issue, still present in new QOL 3 save

gas test.sav

Steps to Reproduce
load up the save file, hit play, watch gas flow into the wrong places

This issue has not been confirmed by a developer yet.

Report Bug
Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

it's not a bug.

This system is just wrongly made. :p 

On a permanent flow of gaz through a pipe, I can assure you that a filter made correctly works nice. ;)

Share this comment

incorrect how?

gas test2.sav

here's an example with an added not-gate so that gas can only flow the correct direction, which also doesn't work

Share this comment

I just take a look at your save.

Even if you place a second filter, if you still make the mistake, you'll have a problem. ;)

Sorry if I dont give you the solution directly, but I think it will be better for you if you understand why it's not working. :)

For a filter to work you only need 3 things :

• a constant flow : if the gas came to stop in the pipe, the filter will not work properly
  • only 1 shutoff
  • only 1 sensor and 2 units of automation wire : no more automation is need to filter a gaz in the basic version.

1 NOT door can be use if you want to remove all but one gas from a pipe, instead of extracting one gas among anothers. Sometimes it's better this way. :)

Now, to find what's wrong in your setting, just think about how a flow of gas works in a pipe, when the gas flow through a T cross section. ;)

Share this comment

ACk... Followed the link to the previous bug report, and posted there... Anyways, I re-uploaded your original save(in the link bug report) with a demo of how to make it work properly.

Share this comment

The example you attached has a 50% chance of not filtering gas because of how intersections work. Run it for a bit, and watch natural gas occasionally go past your filter. But I get what you are saying about the input now, as long as the input pipe has a chance to be filled even if the shutoff is closed, there's no way to make this work, which is probably why they made the non-automation based gas filter.

Edited by npjohns

Share this comment

@npjohns If you're seeing gas go past the filter example I made, then there's some specific that's wrong on your end. That filter setup works just fine on my end. Are you playing at the debug 10x speed or something?

Edit: Okay, well, it works fine until the power setup you had on that sandbox failed. :D

Another edit: I corrected the power issue, and the filter system works just fine. So if it's not working on your end, then there's definitely something going wrong that's not affecting most players. I, and many others, have been using automation based gas filters successfully for quite a long time. Also, wondering what you're talking about with pipe intersections? There aren't any standard pipe intersections in that example... It's just a straight line of pipe with shutoffs connected to it.

I did some modification so anything that might be failing to get filtered would be visually apparent:

image.thumb.png.a406acb4e1f67697720d1356562697b5.png

No natural gas is getting past that first shutoff(granted, it will if the output vent gets backed up, but that's an entirely different issue altogether)

Edited by Dyrewulfe

Share this comment

It was the power messing up when I tested, I was assuming that having a gas shutoff open still counted the output and the pipe continuation to both be available which would still be an intersection, but it looks like it correctly forces air only to the output as if the other way wasn't available. Thanks for the solution!

Share this comment

No problem, glad I could help. :)

Um.... Well, I had a handy bookmark for a guide about automation filters that I intended to share, but I had to wipe my browser recently to stop a crash-fest. Anyways, a simple filter like, while it works and demos the principle, isn't robust enough to trust in a real system. If any of the outputs in that get backed up(especially the final vent for the things not filtered), it'll break and you'll get gases where you don't want them. What ya really wanna use is what's commonly referred to as a "loop filter", which cycles the filtered gases around the loop until the proper output is available again.

If you have any trouble finding info on them(lot of guides and tutes around though), I, and many others who can help, are on the unofficial Discord: https://discord.gg/EBncbX2

The pipe mechanics are really counter-intuitive, and worth some research or questioning about, even if you're like I am and prefer not to spoil the sense of discovery and learning for one's self.

And I suppose since that's already a wall of text for bug report standards, I'll sign off with a pic. This is the layout for the "this gas here, everything else there" type of loop filter, akin to what @Gwido mentioned. Both sensors in this case are set to the single gas type you want to pull from the line.

image.png

Share this comment