Varying levels of lag spikes upon equipping Wagstaff's different goggles

Portmanteau
  • Version: PC/MAC/Linux Pending

I found that upon equipping Wagstaff's goggles I get varying levels of lag spikes depending on the type. Listed from 1 (heaviest lag spike) to 4 (least effecting to non-existent lag spike) is the level of lag I experienced upon equipping each goggles:

1. Infroggles (heaviest lag spike and very noticable)

2. Goggles (pretty strange that this one's is heavier then the other two honestly)

3. Visor (this one's only moderate to low)

4. Fryfocals (strangely don't get any lag spike at all equipping these)

Perhaps theres some optimization here that should be looked into? This happens even on a fresh world with no mods when not even in a DLC world (for clarifacation I tested this on a pure vanilla world, but with Hamlet compatibility enabled. I don't imagine the compatibility should matter but I figure I'll note this anyway if it helps). I'll attach my dxdiag here as well for reference of what my computer specifications are. My computer isn't great at all, but it should be able to handle this I'd imagine.

DxDiag.txt

P.S.: The dontstarve.exe crashes in my dxdiag are just from my modding. I haven't yet experienced an app crash playing Don't Starve normally so far.

EDIT: Made bug report a bit more clear that this is about a lag spike that occurs on equip, not while equipped.

Steps to Reproduce
See above.

This issue has not been confirmed by a developer yet.

Report Bug

User Feedback

.... ....
7 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

To be sure, this is just when equipping, right? Not while equipped?

Upon equipping yes. Everythings smooth afterwards, at least until I unequip and re-equip them again or another pair of goggles.

Share this comment

Interesting, the infroggles I understand, the goggles are indeed surprising to me.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 6/24/2019 at 1:12 AM, bizziboi said:

Interesting, the infroggles I understand, the goggles are indeed surprising to me.

Hey so I just had a quick thought about why the normal goggles could be giving a worse lag spike then the other two. Is it possible that the culprit could be the indicators it spawns to warn players about danger and hidden items? Perhaps the issue lies in a sudden spawn of many of them across the world upon equipping them? Anyway I don't know for sure whether this would be the problem or not but I just thought I'd quick mention it in case you didn't think of it yet. Thanks for looking into this by the way, keep up the good work!

Share this comment

12 hours ago, Portmanteau said:

Hey so I just had a quick thought about why the normal goggles could be giving a worse lag spike then the other two. Is it possible that the culprit could be the indicators it spawns to warn players about danger and hidden items? Perhaps the issue lies in a sudden spawn of many of them across the world upon equipping them? Anyway I don't know for sure whether this would be the problem or not but I just thought I'd quick mention it in case you didn't think of it yet. Thanks for looking into this by the way, keep up the good work!

You're actually on to something, sort of. They wouldn't spawn all over the world since those objects aren't loaded in at the moment, but when you put the goggles on the game does have to check what IS loaded in to see if needs to draw any of those indicators. Depending on where you are and how strong your system is or isn't that could explain what's going on. A similar sweep of loaded objects has to be done when putting on the infroggles to figure out which objects need the color/lighting adjustments to them that makes living things show up red.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment