White screen crash

CooperMcWheaton
  • Known Issue

This seems to happen most often when the game is fullscreen, windowed or not. What happens is the game will run fine for about 5-10 minutes, then the screen (the ENTIRE screen, not just the game window) will go completely white with sounds still happening in the background, however the task manager and all other buttons will be unreachable. The only solution i've found so far is to force shutdown my computer by holding the power button down.

However, having just played for a while with the game windowed and NOT the same size as my monitor (just a small window in the middle of my desktop), it would appear the game runs fine with no crashing.

Steps to Reproduce
1. start the game 2. be in fullscreen mode, either windowed or not 3. join or start a server 4. play for a while 5. only in fullscreen, the entire screen will go white and you'll be unable to move or access the task manager.

User Feedback

Hello @CooperMcWheaton welcome to the forums. Mind attaching the following files:

• The client_log.txt from Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\
  • A copy of your DxDiag.txt if possible

While you find these files and attach them to your next reply, you can possibly try checking for updates for your video card and OS. Here's the Klei Support Article about DST's Requirements. If however the game was running smoothly on previous versions, are you perhaps running mods while playing? If yes, list them down. 

Share this comment

@CooperMcWheaton, I'd suggest starting by updating your drivers, though it looks like you might have the latest already. Do you have an onboard video card that you could try playing the game on? I'm suspicious that your video card might be having an issue with the hardware if running at a smaller resolution seems to work, and it'd be helpful if we could rule that out or not.

Another option you could try is enabling Small Textures and Netbook Mode in the settings page.

Share this comment