Sign in to follow this  

unable to write to files in the config directory

JavierWxw
  • Pending

I saw everything that it said in the guide, I gave it all kinds  of permissions and it follows the error, when playing for a while it crashes. 

I put administrator to the game and it is in the folder I gave it full access by all the users of the pc.

image.png.9fd619502df03b85e62e21302c2f90a4.png

Steps to Reproduce

I have nothing to put

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Did you use this guide? https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029882171-Getting-a-Unable-to-write-to-config-directory-Error-Message

Edited by Kova_

Share this comment

If the steps in the guide linked in @Kova_'s post above have not been able to help resolve the issue. Here are a couple more things you can try:

1) Security Software
If you have a stringent Antivirus or security software, please ensure that Don't Starve Together and your Steam client have both been added to your security software's and Windows Security's allowed/trusted programs list.

2) Controlled Folder Access
If you currently have Windows Ransomware Protection enabled, it may block the game from being able to access, read, or write files on the hard drive. If that is the case, you will need to allow/add the game’s .exe file (dontstarve_steam.exe) through Controlled Folder Access, in order for the game to be able to do so.

Here’s how to do this:

• Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection;In Virus & threat protection, scroll down to Ransomware Protection, click on “Manage ransomware protection”

• Check to see if Controlled folder access is ON, if it is, click on “Allow an App through Controlled folder access”

• Click on + Add an allowed app > choose “Recently Blocked Apps” if Don't Starve Together was blocked previously or “Browse All Apps” and manually add Don't Starve Together. Each of these options will add dontstarve_steam.exe to the controlled folder access. If you are not sure where the file is located, generally it is within your Steam folders at \steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\

• Once added, launch Don't Starve Together once more.
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 9/8/2021 at 14:22, JanH said:

@JavierWxwCuando dice que el sitio web no funciona, ¿podría aclarar si los pasos del enlace no ayudaron a resolver su problema? ¿O no puede acceder al enlace? En este último caso, utilice este enlace para acceder a la guía de solución de problemas:  https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029882171

the solutions shown on the web do not solve the problem

Share this comment

I am sorry to hear that. Generally, this error message indicates that there is something that is blocking your game from being able to access/read/write the hard drive. if the troubleshooting steps in this link, as well as the Security Software and Controlled Folder Access steps I had provided above did not help resolve the issue, this means that there is something else blocking the access.

Do you happen to have any other software running in the background such as Onedrive or Dropbox that your documents folder are located in? If your documents folder is found within OneDrive or Dropbox, you could try temporarily disabling those to see if that allows the game to be able to access the drive.

If not, and as a last resort, you could try creating a different save directory, outside of where the game save files are normally found. For example, instead of your c:\ drive, you could place a new save location to a secondary drive instead. 

- In steam right-click the game in your library
- Select ‘properties’
- Click ‘Set launch options’
- Enter ‘-persistent_storage_root c:\DontStarveTogether’ (without the quotes)
- Close dialog.
- And the next one
- Launch the game.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

7 hours ago, JanH said:

I am sorry to hear that. Generally, this error message indicates that there is something that is blocking your game from being able to access/read/write the hard drive. if the troubleshooting steps in this link, as well as the Security Software and Controlled Folder Access steps I had provided above did not help resolve the issue, this means that there is something else blocking the access.

Do you happen to have any other software running in the background such as Onedrive or Dropbox that your documents folder are located in? If your documents folder is found within OneDrive or Dropbox, you could try temporarily disabling those to see if that allows the game to be able to access the drive.

If not, and as a last resort, you could try creating a different save directory, outside of where the game save files are normally found. For example, instead of your c:\ drive, you could place a new save location to a secondary drive instead. 

- In steam right-click the game in your library
- Select ‘properties’
- Click ‘Set launch options’
- Enter ‘-persistent_storage_root c:\DontStarveTogether’ (without the quotes)
- Close dialog.
- And the next one
- Launch the game.

It did not work to put the game in -persistent_storage_root c: \ DontStarveTogether, but it worked by putting it on a disk that was not the computer boot disk in my case disk d

Edited by JavierWxw

Share this comment