The servor is not responding, try yelling louder

AJT
  • Pending

Hey,

i always play with my brother but this time, he has created a servor with caves and there is a problem when i try to join him. Indeed, if if search his game in DST list, i can't log in because it says that the server is not responding. However, if he invites me, there is a steam Message (1) with, "servor is not responding" (we can notice that the IP adress is not the right one, but i can play with him.

But, when i try to enter in caves, it disconnects me because of this 'servor is not repsonding".

I've done many researches but i could not find an answer for my problem.

i attached many files, i hope you'll help me o/

1/ Steam Message "servor is not responding"

2/my log : logME.txt

3/my client log : client_logME.txt

4/ my brother's log : BROlog.txt

5/ my brother's client log : client_logBRO.txt

6/the master server's log

7/the caves's log

steamMessage.PNG

Steps to Reproduce
host a server: config : Friend only password : "xxx" pvp off players 6 game mode ENDLESS playstayle : social mods: FOOD VALUES- item tooltips (server and client) health INFO global postions

User Feedback

well, if i host the server (to do that, i had c&p my brother's "dst" folder); there is no problem (he can join me and go into caves). but my PC is not fast enough...

When i launched the server, there was a firewall box wich explained that my firewall is blocking some functionalities of DST. (however, i've already check my firewall...)

Share this comment

Hello @AJT, welcome to the forums. Have you double checked on your brother's PC whether he has DST enabled through OR whitelisted through his PCs firewall? If not do so, also you can try to run the game as administrator, method as follows (wouldn't hurt to try):

• Go to Steam\steamapps\common\Don’t Starve Together\bin\
  • Right click dontstarve_steam.exe then select Properties
  • Under the compatibility tab, enable "Run this program as administrator"
  • Press Apply, then Ok

Do the same method for dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe since you are running the server through the Host Game screen (correct me if I'm wrong). Also when you do this on your brother's PC, make sure DST isn't running. After that, try and access the caves again when you play with him.

Share this comment

Hey, thks for your answer :) , but i have tried all theses things (both firewalls off, AVAST off (for my bro), windows defender OFF)

Both .exe are running as admin but always the same problem...

i can"t log in if i give my "DST folder" to my bro when i was in caves...

Share this comment

@AJT was the server setup as a LAN ONLY server or an Online Passworded Server?

I'm also thinking that maybe your brother has OneDrive enabled? Can you attach a copy of dxdiag.txt's from both your PCs?

Share this comment

@AJT Mods could have an effect, hopefully you've tried accessing the caves (hosted by your brother's PC) from your PC as a client without any mods active on the server(brother's) and on the client(yours)? If not, try that.

Maybe you could also try and set the Steam.exe to Run as administrator. Be sure steam is closed when you do this.

Share this comment

Steam is always launched as admin

and when i've ran the server, mods were active and my bro could join me and play in caves. I think that my bro's PC forbids other players to join his server but i don t know how can i fix it

Share this comment

@AJT have you tried setting DST to run compatibility mode to Windows 7 for your brother's PC? It's in the same Properties tab as the "Run this program as administrator". Try that and see if it works.

Secondly, what ping does the server(hosted by your brother) show you when you try to access it by scrolling through the server list manually?

Share this comment

His server's ping is 33 ms (i think that is too high for our connection, for example, when i play LOL, my ping is 55/65 ms)

i'll try to switch this paramater and i'll check if it works

Thks again :)

Edited by AJT

Share this comment

i've forgot that : My bro has got ONE DRIVE but he is not running when we play (i think)

I switched the compatibilty mode to windows 7 but nothing happened

I've tried the command c_connect("92.134.141.138", 10999, "xxx") but same problem (ive found ip on JACKULS website)

Maybe should i try this :

/*

In conclusion:

If you are hosting a DST server with Caves, and your friends can't join due to a "server not responding" error message, then you can try these steps:

1) Launch your world, then ask another user ("User X") to find your world in the "Browse Servers" section, and join via that interface specifically. You might need multiple users to try this before you'll find one that can actually join.

2) Once User X has successfully joined your world, then ask User Y to invite the other friends you want to join. Once those other friends join, they should be able to see the world in their "Browse Servers" section (even if it wasn't appearing there before).

cf : http://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/dont-starve-together/users-can-only-join-my-server-when-it-has-no-caves-r1031/

*/(i have to find someone now)

Edited by AJT

Share this comment

@AJT OneDrive could be conflicting with the game since all save files goes to the Windows Documents (with a basic default path), but with OneDrive active the Documents will be placed in a different path. If your brother is up to test it, he could try and disable OneDrive and start up a new server with caves and see if that helps.

If you haven't found anyone to try that method with, feel free to add me (link to my steam in profile) and hopefully I'm online when you guys are.

Share this comment

@Zillvr, thks again for your anwser.

Hmm, when i c&p the "DST folder" with our server, i just paste it at the same location and there is no problem on my PC.

I'll uninstall ONEDRIVE on my bro's computer and then i'll launch another dedicated server.

But now i'm just playing on his PC because i wanna discover caves. This problem has ruined our game like others laggs of DST (like the legendary double examine and then you restart the game and you can't even attack ennemies and etc.

I'm just tired by this game, i really love this univers but i've never seen a game with such laggs.

i'll launch the server in 4 hours exactly.

Edited by AJT

Share this comment

@AJT dedicated server? You are starting up the server through the in-client's Host Game screen correct? (Just making sure)

With lag, sadly this is the only Klei Support Article I know that tackles that. You can try and play it modless, since sometimes that can bog down the server and increase the lag. See if that helps.

Share this comment

Yeah, we don't rent a private server.

I don't search anymore for my problem.

Thks for your help even if i did not find a solution. I think that i've just to rehost but when you have 80days+ you dont really want to ^^

Share this comment