The item drop system (and classic curio chest) seems to be having major issues.

Dreamscape18459
  • Known Issue

I have noticed a few quirks that I am unsure are bugs or actual features regarding the classic curio's chest and item drop system.

The chest seems to be dropping other event specific items. I have personally witnessed players finding Hallowed Nights elegants inside of it. It seems really odd that we would be able to find event items year round. JoeW even made a post regarding the Halloween character costumes only dropping during Hollowed nights and did not say anything about the items I have witnessed (Elegent critter costumes) so this might be working as Klei intended. Some players have reported finding Snowfallen skins inside of the classic curio chest as well. I have not personally witnessed Year of the Gobbler item drops but they may be dropping. Either way event items/skins dropping year round makes the event items not special so I personally believe this is a bug.

Some players have reported finding a Pugna's battle chest. I have not personally witnessed this but since other event items seem to be dropping this seems highly likely.

The rose pike skin may not be dropping entirely. Its been almost two weeks since the collection was added and every new skin, bar the rose pike, has been listed on the Steam community market. I think one should have dropped by now as every other new skin has dropped and been added to the community market. Given the issues currently plaguing the drop system it may be plausible it is simply not dropping.

I will try to add more information regarding the drop system that I think are issues but many I am not able to verify. Given the large abnormalities currently plaguing the system I think it is logical to include unverified rumors. It would also be nice if Klei could give every player a classic curio chest or two since the system has been broken for a while and is rather frustrating to deal with. The bug was introduced at an inconvenient time for everyone. =(

Here is the post from JoeW saying the halloween character costumes would only drop during Hallowed Nights. He only mentioned these skins specifically and not the other halloween skins.

Steps to Reproduce
Check the drop system to see abnormalities regarding it OR give me 100000 classic curio's chest so I can unbox them until I find an item that is not supposed to drop. ;)

User Feedback

I forgot that the chest contents are generated when the chest is found, not when it is opened. The classic curio chest containing Hallowed Nights elegants originally dropped on December 26 and was opened shortly afterward. I haven't found anyone saying this is a bug aside from JoeW's post mentioning that the costumes would only drop during Halloween. If Klei changed their minds about this it would be nice to know but I still believe this is a bug.

Also could we get a special curio chest during events? (Winter Classic Curio instead of a Classic Curio.) The current system might result in unnecessary bug reports of players not opening chests immediately and getting confused with its seasonal contents due to waiting to open it. A separate seasonal classic curio chest labelled with the chance to drop event items would likely result in fewer bug reports of players not knowledgeable of how the chests work/generate loot.

Share this comment

Changed Status to Known Issue

Which Hallowed Night's item was granted to which account from the Deceberm 26th chest? Can you post your client_log.txt if it was on your account.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

The skin they found was a "Bearded Dragon" skin for GlomGlom.  It was on a friends account I know in real life. Give me a couple of hours and I can get you their client_log.txt. =)

Share this comment

The bearded dragon isn't tied to any specific event, so that's why it showed up in the classic chest.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Oh my apologies. I always thought the Bearded Dragon and Wyvernling were part of the costume collection. (They look like they were dressed up for Hallowed Nights.) After some searching I can't find anything to verify that they were intended to be part of the costume collection. It looks like they were introduced to the game November 24 2016 when critters were first introduced outside of the beta branch, two weeks after the first Hallowed nights ended. Given that they were introduced shortly after the first Hallowed nights and they look like they were dressed up I always assumed they were part of the Costume collection.

Once again sorry about that. I will try to make sure future content/bug reports is more well researched.

Regarding the Rose Pike it is now dropping! It doesn't seem to be part of the Rose collection though. (Although not a major issue.)

• Like 1

Share this comment

I've had another issue with Curio chests. Last week instead of getting a curio chest, I only recieved one item when i opened my present. This happened again in the same week. So I essentially lost 6 items from not recieving 2 curio chests.

Also, I dont have very many overall items/skins, yet I almost always get repeated items in each chest. It's frustrating when you hope to get SOMETHING good in the chests, then you find that 3 out of the 4 items are repeats. 

Share this comment