[resolved by user] [poor documentation?]"[CRITICAL] failed to save file" when launching dedicated server, but everyone has permission to the folder?

Twisted_Code
  • Pending

so I just started trying to set up a dedicated server for my friends to play on, but I seem to have run into a problem with the folder I set as the config folder in the commandline arguments in the steam. it seems to be having trouble saving to that directory, to the point that it doesn't even generate a log file to help me troubleshoot it better (I have to go by what I can read in the console as it scrolls by (Screenshot.bmp). Even hitting the pause key doesn't let me read the last few lines). The most noteworthy error I see in the console (keeping in mind that I'm not particularly familiar with Lua or how to interpret the game's logging) occurs within about a second of starting and says "[CRITICAL] Failed to save file: APP:Klei//D:\server instances\steam games\DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated/Cluster_1/Master/save/modindex". Why is it having trouble writing to that folder? Could it be something to do with how the path alternates between backslashes and slashes inconsistently (That doesn't seem to be the problem; I tried to change the commandline argument to use slashes but had the same problem)? Just for good measure, I gave "Users" full control of DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated, but it doesn't seem to have helped, and I'm pretty much at a loss now. What can I do?

Edit: I have the same issue seemingly regardless of where I try to save it. I even tried saving it in a directory RIGHT next to where I have DoNotStarveTogether (the client's directory). What is the server smoking that it can't write to a directory the client can?
edit: apparently, it seems to load fine if I use the default directory (I.e. I omit the commandline setting altogether). This is fortunately an option for me, since I have the client's config directory moved elsewhere anyway, but it does nothing to answer the question at hand for this bug report: what is wrong with how I'm using that commandline option? I have it set as 

-conf_dir "D:\documents & media\OneDrive - personal\OneDrive\Documents\Steam\DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated"

and don't see anything wrong with that?

edit: problem resolved, at least for me! Apparently, the commandline option I was using is works different from -persistent_storage_root which, as I now realize is what my client uses to set the directory. If I use the following command line option instead of the above,

-persistent_storage_root "D:\documents & media\OneDrive - personal\OneDrive\Documents\Steam\DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated"

it's able to access the folder without issue. Is there a definitive source of documentation I could've used to prevent this? Because the best I seem to have is the 2 conflicting wikis, and neither of them properly document the difference between these 2 commandline arguments. The best I could find to explain the difference was this steam guide, but that's not an "official" source, and I'm still not completely clear on the difference.

Steps to Reproduce
1. Install the Dedicated Server "Tool" from steam 2. set the commandline arguments (in steam properties) to "-console -conf_dir [Path]", where "[Path]" is an absolute path (with or without quotes, if optional) to some arbitrary subdirectory of D: (including, apparently, a folder right next to the client's config directory, which the client is able to find and write to without issue) 3. try to run the server app from steam via the "play game" option 4. ??? 5. The server fails to save any files, presumably because that commandline argument no longer works right? *(I have no idea if these steps will actually work, and honestly I'm kind of worried they won't, but it's what I did so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

User Feedback

just figured out my problem: -conf_dir doesn't work the same as -persistent_storage_root, and seems to be depreciated? Or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, but it's not like the documentation on the wiki (either of them, and keeping in mind the conflict with each other in many ways) is particularly clear or you have any other documentation...

Edited by Twisted_Code

Share this comment