Recent issues with FPS and input lag

Korhalis
  • Pending

Within the last week don't starve together has been running at abysmally slow fps for no apparent reason. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, mods, and verified the integrity of the game itself. I have even re-configured the 3d settings in nvidea control panel and still haven't been able to get the game to run smoothly. It appears to just not want to utilize my processing power and just sits at 3% cpu usage. The issues even extends to the main menu. I would appreciate if anyone can offer any solutions as I am thoroughly stumped.

Steps to Reproduce
Turn on game and have lag

User Feedback

Can you please capture a profile and upload it here?

While in the main menu, wait at least 20 seconds then put the following into the console (press ~)

TheSim:Profile(1)

This will create a "profile.json" file in your save directory (Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether). Rename this to mainmenu.json

Then go into a world and when you are experiencing low fps and/or input lag, run the command again. 
Then attach these two files to this bug report. 

Thanks.

• Like 2

Share this comment

Attached to this comment are the two profiles you asked for. It's not so much as input lag but say when I go to chop a tree, the character prepares to chop for 1-4 seconds before chopping or harvesting grass or whatever I'm trying to do. This kind of thing makes fighting anything near impossible except if I'm wigfrid and can take lots of extra damage.

mainmenu.json

profile.json

Share this comment

Thanks for the profile captures. The mainmenu profile is showing an anomaly that we've seen a few times now but are not sure the cause. People report that it resolves itself from a range of a few hours to a day or two after reporting it. I suspect its has something to do with your computer downloading stuff (probably updates for windows, java, etc) in the background, but I have no proof.

The in-game profile is showing 60fps, so its definitely network lag (probably due to the anomaly mentioned above) that is causing the issue. Are you playing on someone else's server or are you running a cave's world?

This link may help: http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1941750-network-and-performance-troubleshooting-guide

Share this comment

@ScottHansen

Hello, sorry to tag on to this. I am experiencing similar low fps from the start of this week. Last week and before that, I was easily meeting the 60 FPS cap. After trying so many different settings, I thought it may have to do with a game update concerning monitor frame rate (144 hz). This was not the case. 

What I found was that I am only getting FPS drops, both in menu and in game, while the game is in fullscreen. Playing windowed mode seemed to cure the FPS drops. Once I put it back to fullscreen, the FPS drops once more. Another interesting observation is that when the game is in fullscreen and I hit my windows key, forcing the game to the background view as the taskbar comes forward, it immediately returns to 60 FPS.

Anywho, here are the same json files you requested from the OP. Thank you for your time and considerations.

ingame.json

mainmenu.json

Share this comment

@ScottHansen

My apologies. I seem to have discovered the source of the FPS drops. Playing your game with this software called Flux running does not seem to go well. I just accidentally closed Flux and saw improvement. I opened it with your game again and got FPS drops. Closed Flux, this time on purpose, and my FPS went back to the 56-60 rate in the menu and in game. Very strange indeed. Anywho, thought you might like to know this and maybe see if there is a compatibility issue you are interested in addressing. Though for now I just uninstalled Flux ;D

Flux: https://justgetflux.com/

• Like 1

Share this comment

That makes sense, this started around the time I having issues updating windows due to a corrupted instance of a driver and Windows updates would not fully install. I have resolved that issue and installed the windows update and will attempt to play the game again. I'll update you with any changes that might be noticeable in game.

• Like 1

Share this comment