Odd Pathfinding and Clipping Around Fences

mistrbushido
  • Pending

I've been noticing odd pathfinding behavior since the Satly Dog update. One example is this setup with pigs:pathfindingbug.thumb.png.aadc9abd68b86e452b5f2246f3177ed8.png

Some pigs follow the red path despite intending to move towards the bait pen. The result is that those pigs get stuck on the outside. It appears that mobs try to pathfind to points outside of a fence, even when completely enclosed.

I had a 5x5 fenced area around treeguards, which was stable for couple hundred in-game days until the Salty Dog update. Once the update went live, the treeguards began to immediately pathfind out of the fenced area, and since they destroy walls in their way, they've escaped.

Another example is that grass geckos typically stayed away from the edges of their fence pen and grouped in the center:

geckos.png.4f459d3791baf006d30193bdb1bc6e50.png

Since the Salty Dog update, they no longer avoid the fences and sometimes walk into them, seemingly attempting to pathfind to the outside despite being completely fenced in.

The behavior is also seen with volt goats, bunnymen, and no-eyed deer.

Probably a result of this odd pathfinding is that those mobs sometimes clip through fences now:

322330_20191003113432_1.thumb.png.0aad519795d9b8faf413fbfa5afa8778.png

Here is a bunnyman that has clipped through a fence. Geckos have also been observed to clip through fences as well. Volt goats hugging the fences allows for new goats to spawn outside the pen the original goat was in. Even splumonkeys sometimes escape fences, especially if the fences are placed diagonally relative to the turf grid. All these events occur randomly, but have not occurred once before the Salty Dog update, after which all the odd behaviors started cropping up.

Steps to Reproduce
The pig pathfinding behavior can be reproduced by building a pen out of fences (I have not tried walls). Clipping occurs randomly.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback