Odd issues with browsing the game menu

Arlesienne
  • Closed

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to kindly ask for assistance with a recent issue I have been trying to fix since the 12th of May or so. While I am able to play the game on other people's servers, when trying to create a world myself, everything stops working if I try to view my mods or do as little as just browsing the mods tab after logging in. After scrolling a certain distance from the top in the server mods tab, the game crashes, generating the error from here (attaching several days' worth of testing through my cloud storage as I keep getting the -200 error here, apologies): http://www.mediafire.com/download/5pdrh8n1rz0cq4g/client_log.txt+errors.rar

Initially, I assumed the game was having problems with the mod 580851939 I managed to identify as Structures and More which has been removed from the Steam Workshop (the older logs, easy to discern as they have dates included). Funnily enough, I was not using it at all. I had it added into my collection to find it easily when needed. After several attempts to fix this on my own, I unsubscribed from all mods - predictably, this resulted in being able to browse the list of mods as it was completely empty. However, when slowly resubscribing to mods I have tested, just like many fellow players, the issue is back, this time generating the error from client_log.txt I included in the rar package. This time, it pertains to different mods (which I can use when joining a friend's server without hiccups).

Having cleared the list of mods, removed the servers I established earlier, resubscribed to only the thoroughly-tested ones and verified the game's cache with no errors, I am out of ideas. If nothing helps, I will reinstall the game and install it from scratch. However, since perhaps someone has already had a similar issue, I would like to ask for assistance beforehand. Thank you so much in advance.

Yours faithfully,

Arlesienne

Steps to Reproduce
With any mods installed, simply browsing the mods tab to where Structures and More would be located if it was installed (it isn't) crashes the game.

User Feedback

I did not see any errors in client_log.rar/client_log, so I'm not sure if what you saw was hard crash that did not print anything into the log.

You could try removing all mods folders from D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods, removing Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_save\modindex, and removing Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_save\mod_config_data (holds saved mods' configuration options).

If that doesn't help, there is also renaming the whole Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether as to test it with a very clean slate.

Edited by Muche

Share this comment

Thank you a lot for taking a look. I cut everything under D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods and it did not solve the issue, but let me try the other two directories please. As always, your help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Same old, sadly (after getting rid of the files you mentioned). I'm afraid I will have to reinstall it and get back in case the issue persists.

client_log.txt

Edited by Arlesienne
More information added.

Share this comment

While slowly resubscribing to mods, were you able to identify which subscribed mod causes it?

You could try clearing the folder D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\cached_mods, maybe some mod's downloaded file got corrupted and is causing crash when trying to unpack it.

Share this comment

I reinstalled the game last night (so that everything was removed from both the Klei folders in Documents and from SteamApps) and started adding mods in one-by-one. So far, I can say the ones from the log file don't cause the issue. I will continue this process and let you know if anything changes (for the better or for the worse).

client_log.txt

EDIT:

After adding new mods, I cannot even open the server mod list. I'm attaching the log below.

client_log.txt

EDIT2:

Removing the added mods did not resolve the issue. It still crashes when trying to open the server mod list.

client_log.txt

client_log.txt

EDIT3:

After spending several hours trying to figure it out, I linked my latest DNS issues with the fact DST needs a good connection to the Steam Workshop (for shame, my stupidity fills me with shame). Switching to Google's DNS helped EVERYTHING. I'm royally embarrassed, but happy. Thank you.

Edited by Arlesienne
Update.

Share this comment