Networking Failed To Start

CrimzynShadows
  • Known Issue

I've been looking all over the place for a fix to this, and have seen multiple people having the issue and I've tried everything that I've come across but it doesn't seem to be working?

The other day my game was working fine but when I opened it again I tried starting up a dedicated server so I could have caves but it didn't appear to be working so I gave up and shut my game. When I opened it again and tried playing my normal server that I've been working on for days a quick error showed up that I couldn't read before the server tried to start up but it crashed my entire game after a few seconds and glitched my steam, making it say I was still in-game when I wasn't and wouldn't let me open it again because "it was still running".

It glitches out like that every time I try to start the server.

After a few tries of trying to read the quick error I managed to see something about "Networking Failed to Start" and to try again, nothing else other than that. Also, once I start up the game it says it failed to open properly last time, most likely due to a client mod. I've disabled and uninstalled all of my mods and it still says that.

I've looked up my problem and have tried verifying the integrity of my game cache, I tried letting my game through my firewall on my network, and I even tried the different port thing where I need to go into my games settings.ini file and change the port number. The settings.ini file in my game says its an OLD file? Not sure if thats important or not, I'm not great with computers. There was no [networking] part to it, however there was a [network] but all of the info under it was from an old server I had that I already deleted.

I tried adding server_port = 11002 to both [network] in the settings.ini file and I also added [networking] and put server_port = 11002 under it as well when the [network] one didn't work.

I even went into various other files and tried sifting through the coding and such seeing if there was anywhere I could change the port and nothing worked?

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the game and that didn't help either.

I'm not sure if I'm just being dumb here or not but I honestly don't know what to do anymore and I'm extremely upset because I've put a lot of work into my current server and I can't make anything work. I can't even start a new one.

Does anyone know anything else I can try?

Steps to Reproduce
Game was working fine. Opened it and tried starting server to use caves. Was setting up for long time then failed. Gave up and tried opening one of my other saved games. Failed as well and crashed game. Rest is detailed in description.

User Feedback

Could run the game, try to start you server, and after it fails, post the contents of the client_log.txt file here? (It should be in the same directory as the settings file).

Share this comment

2 hours ago, 255 said:

Could run the game, try to start you server, and after it fails, post the contents of the client_log.txt file here? (It should be in the same directory as the settings file).

Alright. I tried starting the server again (I re-enabled one of my mods again because it was the character I used for it and I'm not sure if that'll change anything, but trying to start a new server without using a mod character doesn't even let the game crash fully, it just tries to set up the server for an infinite amount of time)
client_log.txt

Share this comment

How exactly were you starting the dedicated server? Could you try restarting your computer, and then try loading up your normal server?

Share this comment

29 minutes ago, 255 said:

How exactly were you starting the dedicated server? Could you try restarting your computer, and then try loading up your normal server?

I simply tried starting a new server and enabling the caves. I put all my settings to how I normally have them, put the normal world settings to one of my presets, clicked on add caves, put my own custom preset for it, and tried starting. It gave the warning that I would need more than one server running at a time to accommodate the caves, and I clicked on okay and then it tried starting up. I'd already done it once before a few days beforehand, and it worked perfectly fine. I ended up deleting it though because I didn't like the character I chose. When I tried again a few days later, that's when it messed up. I did the exact same thing both times.

I just tried restarting my computer however, and surprisingly it seems to be working now? But I'm not sure I understand what I did because I already tried restarting my computer when it first stopped working. I'm not sure if something I did in-between finally changed something? I'm glad it appears to be working fine now. But I'm concerned that if it happens again I won't know the exact sequence of things I'd need to do to make it work since it was a jumbled mess of me trying numerous things before restarting my computer.

Thank you for the help though I guess. I'm sorry if I wasted your time with this, seeing as how it just seemed to start working randomly again despite me having already tried restarting.

Share this comment

Thanks for the report, you definitely didn't waste our time, as you've pointed out some important issues that we're looking into.

What seems to have happened is that after you tried to create a multi-level server, the background processes didn't shut down correctly, which rebooting solved. I'm not sure why it didn't the previous time you tried it. The next time a multi-level server fails to start, you should send us your client_log.txt, and the server_log.txt for each of the dedicated servers. You can find the server_log.txt files here:  

Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_{N}/Master/server_log.txt                                 
Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_{N}/Caves/server_log.txt

Where {N} is the number of the slot the server was in (1 for the first slot, 2 for the second, etc).

Share this comment