Mouse clicking is not an immediate response

NickEnjee
  • Fixed

I know this is a mac issue:

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Bought the game through Steam.

I just bought the mega bundle for the winter sale, so did my girlfriend, so we could play together. Her version works fine on her Windows 7 laptop. 

My version works except for one little annoyance; I have to hold down my mouse click for 0.1 or 0.2 seconds before it registers the click. I played on my bf's computer and her click response is instant. I've tried two different mouses and my trackpad. Its not a hardware issue. I've deleted all content and re downloaded the game, opened it without any hardware plugged in and still, even with just trackpad, same deal. There's no settings that could fix this in the menu. 

Please fix this, I know this has been an issue for a while. If I can't find a solution I'm going to have to refund it and find a different game that works properly.

Also, can I get a list of all the launch options commands? I've tried the steam general ones, but not even "-fullscreen" works, so there must be Don't Starve specific launch options for steam. 

Steps to Reproduce
Clicking with the mouse or trackpad, you have to hold down the click for ~0.1 seconds before the click is registers. Its not instant as it should be.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Doesn't look like its gonna be fixed. I returned the game. Such a shame as it's gotten a lot of dlc and updates and now has multiplayer. Oh well... There's other games out there that actually work for everyone.

Share this comment

Dear developers,

this bug has been reported from 5 different people on this forum since Christmas. Could you at least acknoledge this bug or just say to us '**** you! We don't care about you!' and we will move on (meaning returning the game). We paid for this game and it does not work!

I'd like to know if anyone is looking into this.

Thank you

Edited by Hologos
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Sorry for the lack of response.

I haven't been able to reproduce this in the office, but we don't have a huge range of macs to test on.

@NickEnjee @Hologos

Could you guys please press backspace on the main menu and tell me what the FPS says on the top right of the screen?

Next, if you could please capture a profile and upload here it might help me identify the issue.

While in the main menu, wait at least 10 seconds then put the following into the console (press ~)

TheSim:Profile(1)

During the following 1 second, mouse over a button in the UI and click the left mouse button fast enough for it to not register. The more times you can do this during the capture the better. If it does register the left click then please do a new profile capture.

This will create a "profile.json" file in your save directory (Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether). Please attach this to the bug report.

Thanks.

Share this comment

Update: I tried playing an older version (from 2013) and here the mouse click is instantaneous. No lag whatsoever. Maybe something to do with the latest hot fixes???

I played the game 2/3 months ago (more or less) and I cannot remember anything strange around that time. I hope there will be a solution soon. I play the game when I am onboard a ship without an internet connection. I will be unable to download an update for example. 

Share this comment

Same problem here, it is so difficult to play with the left click having such slow response. And it is March now.

Dear developers, please fix this bug!!!

Edited by Charlooptte

Share this comment

@Charlooptte

Hi, no one responded to my previous post so I was unable to look any further into the issue. If you could read through my post above and provide the info then I can continue to investigate.

Share this comment

14 hours ago, gao288 said:

Hi, this is Felix. I had the same problem and my fps is 58.23. the profile is attached. Hope there is a solution ASAP

profile.json

Can you confirm the following:
- To register mouse clicks, you have to hold down the mouse button for an uncomfortable amount of time
- You are running on a Mac
- There are no other controllers plugged into your computer

Next, could you preform the following test for me?
Shutdown DST if it is running
In your steam library, right click on DST, select properties, Local Files, Browse Local Files...
Navigate into data/scripts
Save the attached frontend.lia file to this location (overwrite the existing file)
Run DST:
- Preform a "too fast" click on the play! button (ensure you are still on the same menu screen)
- Preform a second "too fast" click on the play! button (ensure you are still on the same menu screen)
- Preform a "slow enough" click on the play! button (ensure you have now go to the login screen and then to the main menu)
- * *If any of these steps failed then please shut down DST before trying again*
- Exit DST
- Go to the DST save directory (in windows its \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether, I'm not sure if its the same Mac)
- Find the file client_log.txt and attach it to this report (the change to frontend.lua has extra logging added to it which should help narrow down the source of the issue)

frontend.lua

As a second test, on the main menu, could you press the enter key as fast as you can and see if it has the same behaviour as the mouse click? (I don't need a log file for this)

Edited by ScottHansen
Added a second test to preform
  • Like 1

Share this comment

On 2017-06-13 at 0:48 PM, ScottHansen said:

- To register mouse clicks, you have to hold down the mouse button for an uncomfortable amount of time

In your steam library, right click on DST, select properties, Local Files, Browse Local Files...
Save the attached frontend.lia file to this location (overwrite the existing file)
Run DST:
- Preform a "too fast" click on the play! button (ensure you are still on the same menu screen)
- Preform a second "too fast" click on the play! button (ensure you are still on the same menu screen)
- Preform a "slow enough" click on the play! button (ensure you have now go to the login screen and then to the main menu)
- * *If any of these steps failed then please shut down DST before trying again*
- Exit DST
- Go to the DST save directory (in windows its \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether, I'm not sure if its the same Mac)
- Find the file client_log.txt and attach it to this report (the change to frontend.lua has extra logging added to it which should help narrow down the source of the issue)

frontend.lua

As a second test, on the main menu, could you press the enter key as fast as you can and see if it has the same behaviour as the mouse click? (I don't need a log file for this)

I and my girlfriend both have the same problem. But the version is the original rather than together, and no DLC. 

Both Macbook Air 2014 version. Mine is 8 gb memory, and my gf's is 4 gb memory.

Bought from steam 2 or 3 weeks ago. We shared the same purchase on steam (family sharing)

My gf found the issue just after buying the game. Initially it seemed normal on my laptop, but yesterday the issue suddenly came up and seemed even severer than my gf's. I need to click harder or click and hold for like 0.1s to get response.

I tried using the same mouse on my and my gf's computer, and I am pretty sure that mine is severer than hers. On my computer I am able to consistently fast click the mouse however getting no response, but on hers, I did try to click as fast as possible but I still got some response after around 7-8 clicks each time.

Also happens both in game and the menu. Same issue even I use trackpad.

I also noticed the right click is ok. I used right click to examine some items and the character reacted immediate after I normally right clicked the mouse.

Fast clicking keyboard doesn't produce this issue. 

@ScottHansen  I tried to create those files you required, but it didn't work in the original version. Could you please give me some instruction to create those files in the original one? 

Edit: I registered a new steam account, and shared the game via steam family sharing from my gf's account (I did this for my previous account), so the game is completely new and I found the issue never happened!!!

I tried to copy my saved game files from my old account (~Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/<steam account ID>/<app ID (219740 for DS)>), and pasted them to my new account, and I found the game is working pretty well without any mouse issue. 

Also, when I logged back to my previous account, the issue fixed!!! But I am 100% sure that last time I reinstalled the game by deleting the game and steam and all the data stored in /Application Support/Steam, and reinstalled the game just like what I did this time, the issue still came up. 

Edited by Rick107

Share this comment

On 6/13/2017 at 0:48 PM, ScottHansen said:

Run DST:
- Exit DST

frontend.lua

Hi, the file is attached. And the enter key reacts pretty fast, not like the mouse click. 

client_log.txt

Share this comment

And also one thing i found out that when i am using the macbook to play the game. You know that you can click something either press the trackpad hard or just a touch on the trackpad. the menu button only reacts to the trackpad only when you actually pressed it down. 

Share this comment

On 6/15/2017 at 11:39 AM, Rick107 said:

I and my girlfriend both have the same problem. But the version is the original rather than together, and no DLC. 

Both Macbook Air 2014 version. Mine is 8 gb memory, and my gf's is 4 gb memory.

Bought from steam 2 or 3 weeks ago. We shared the same purchase on steam (family sharing)

My gf found the issue just after buying the game. Initially it seemed normal on my laptop, but yesterday the issue suddenly came up and seemed even severer than my gf's. I need to click harder or click and hold for like 0.1s to get response.

I tried using the same mouse on my and my gf's computer, and I am pretty sure that mine is severer than hers. On my computer I am able to consistently fast click the mouse however getting no response, but on hers, I did try to click as fast as possible but I still got some response after around 7-8 clicks each time.

Also happens both in game and the menu. Same issue even I use trackpad.

I also noticed the right click is ok. I used right click to examine some items and the character reacted immediate after I normally right clicked the mouse.

Fast clicking keyboard doesn't produce this issue. 

@ScottHansen  I tried to create those files you required, but it didn't work in the original version. Could you please give me some instruction to create those files in the original one? 

Edit: I registered a new steam account, and shared the game via steam family sharing from my gf's account (I did this for my previous account), so the game is completely new and I found the issue never happened!!! 

Thank you very much for the update. Knowing the issue comes and goes helps, a little, its good information have.

If the issue reappears for you, I wont need you do run with the modified script file, as gao228 did and I got the expected data from it.

Share this comment

On 6/15/2017 at 5:32 PM, gao288 said:

Hi, the file is attached. And the enter key reacts pretty fast, not like the mouse click. 

client_log.txt

Thanks for the log file. It confirms I am looking in the right direction and now I have a solid lead on the source of the issue.

Edited by ScottHansen
no longer require extra questions answered

Share this comment

Update: The fix is being worked on for both DS and DST both Mac, Linux, and PC (PC is extremely hard to repro but it can happen)

• Like 1

Share this comment

A fixed has been done for DST. It will go out to DS later this week or early next week.

And the single player fix went out on the 4th.

• Like 1

Share this comment