Most 2-3 clockworks in a world with huge size setting

tinco
  • Known Issue

Hi there,

This definitely must be a bug. Out of 5 servers (default settings apart from adding caves and making the size of both cave and upper world Huge) - I always got only 2-3 clockworks in the whole upperworld map. And don't tell me there are other mechanics of getting gears. Yes I know you can pick tumbleweeds, you can go to ruins, etc. But it doesn't solve the issue, that there are far less clockworks, than in Singleplayer DS. And this is for more people, thus more gears are needed = more clockworks.

If you set the world generator to "more clockworks" (the first higher option), you will get random clockworks ALL over the map. You will literally find them on every few steps, it is crazy. How is this only "more"? And why they are random without any spawn point and carpet and statues? They just roam free the world... It doesn't add them as spawn points, just fills the whole world with them.

Could you fix it?

Steps to Reproduce
(to get low number of clockworks) Set any world being huge, add caves and set them as huge. Explore map (or reveal by console) and you will see there are max 2-3 clockworks in the whole map for all players. (to get insanely high number of clockworks without spawn points) If you set the map to huge with huge caves and set clockworks just to "more" (not many), you will find many many clockworks, on each step actually. What the heck?

We are aware of this issue and have it logged internally but either we do not have a fix ready yet or we are not planning on addressing the issue in the immediate future.

Report Bug

User Feedback

.... ....

Thanks for commenting and changing the status. However, it would be great if you fixed it in some timeframe, please keep it in mind when working on hotfixes...

Share this comment

@tinco, the sudden spike in mob numbers is normal. If you set something else, say, moleworms, to more, you will get moleworms in random biomes, not just more molehills in the deciduous forest. So as odd as it sounds, the setting is fine.

Edited by Arlesienne

Share this comment

I understand that. But it is maybe not a problem that they are spawned outside their spawn points. But the problem is, that slight change to "more" only makes whole map full of clockworks. I tried it on multiple servers. The screen literally can't be seen without a single clockwork. Or make a few steps and there's another one. Everywhere. That is not "more". That is like if they are churning out of a factory nearby :D.

But I would be satisfied even if this wasn't fixed. The main bug is still low number of clockworks spawning with the default setting. This bugs me most and should be fixed primarily compared to other things I mentioned).

Edited by tinco

Share this comment

Just now, tinco said:

I understand that. But it is maybe not a problem that they are spawned outside their spawn points. But the problem is, that slight change to "more" only makes whole map full of clockworks. I tried it on multiple servers. The screen literally can't be seen without a single clockwork. Or make a few steps and there's another one. Everywhere. That is not "more". That is like if they are churning out of a factory nearby :D.

But I would be satisfied even if this wasn't fixed. The main bug is still low number of clockworks spawning with the default setting.

It does. Even more so with hostile entities - try rolling a map with hound mounds, killerbees, tallbirds and butterflies set to more (@Asparagus made me do it!) and see what happens. Just clockworks to more is positively mad (fun if you're WX though, especially since the rooks farm resources for you). The walruses should be less pronounced, although I really like setting them to more.

• Like 1

Share this comment

For me that is just cheating, having so much gears around. I want balance. The default settings nor the more doesn't provide that however. Hopefully at least one of those settings (default preferably) will be fixed.

But out of cheer fun yes, I tried to make some worlds with more of everything, even some of them set to many. Holy crap that was the fastest I died.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, tinco said:

For me that is just cheating, having so much gears around. I want balance. The default settings nor the more doesn't provide that however. Hopefully at least one of those settings (default preferably) will be fixed.

But out of cheer fun yes, I tried to make some worlds with more of everything, even some of them set to many. Holy crap that was the fastest I died.

On the server made according to @Asparagus, after running frantically for a couple of days, I was able to set up camp and live like a king. The point is still valid though: the disparity between default and more is rather weird. For now, you will just have to spawn a couple more clockworks where it makes sense for them to be.

Share this comment

.... ....

I have found a mod, which spawns clockworks perfectly:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=758921911

@ScottHansen, please include this mechanic in the base game settings.

For example 4-5% increase could be base game settings "More" and 7-10% increase could be game settings "Many". This mod spawns clockworks in their natural areas (carpet, marble, maxwell, etc) and makes spawns like these appear more in the world (depending on settings).

Hopefully now you'll have clear idea how to fix this in the base game :), since the current world generation for clockworks in base game is mindfarting...

Edited by tinco

Share this comment

I sent a message to @ScottHansen, since he isn't following this discussion anymore. Hopefully he'll fix it with the solution I provided above. The above mod is good, but seems it is making our games to stutter (since the mod has so many options). However, if only clockwork spawning method would be implemented there, I believe it will be smooth, without any stutter.

Share this comment

@tinco

Hi, The world gen for set pieces is on my radar for things to improve. For now i'd suggest using the mod. If this mod makes your world stutter then don't add more of anything into your world, but only add a few extra of the maxwell set pieces via the mod's options menu.

• Like 1

Share this comment

@ScottHansen Thanks for help. Yes, I added only the clockworks, but it stutters nevertheless... So maybe there are some clashes with other mods I use? Stutter started after using the mod, but that is something the mod developer needs to attend to. I hope you will have time to fix the set pieces in the base game world generation :).

It would also be great if you added more set pieces to the DST game, like pig torches, etc (those on Wiki under Set Pieces).

Jan

• Like 1

Share this comment

.... ....
On 1/10/2017 at 1:09 AM, tinco said:

Hello @ScottHansen,

How are you doing about those clockworks and set pieces world gen?

Anything new? :)

Sorry, I don't have an update about this. The event, vacation, and the next ANR update are consuming my time right now. I do have this written down so it won't fall off my radar.

• Like 1

Share this comment