marbleshrubs grow_stages have no name

Serpens
  • Fixed

See marbleshrub.lua, the GROW_STAGES have no name, unlike the stages from other trees.
Maybe you could add the default ones like short/normal/tall?

Steps to Reproduce
see above

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.
8 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Out of curiosity, what does adding a name field achieve for you?

1) the "Show Me" mod by star/Maris is showing alot of information. One of this information is the the grow stage of trees/spiderdens and also marble trees (most useful for twiggy trees). But for marble trees there is no stagename to show.
2) My "Evolving Maxwell Shadows" mod is only allowing the shadows to cut stagedata.name=="tall" trees. For all normal trees this works fine, but not for the marbletrees because of missing name. I had to add special code for them "stage==3" now, but who knows if stage 3 will always be the "tall"==highest stage value (of course for marbletrees it wont change, but I should not add code for "if stage.name nil then use stage==3", because this might not be correct for everything.)

Edited by Serpens
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 26.9.2019 at 11:37 PM, ScottHansen said:

Done

thank you very much :)
But, say, will you have any kind of pattern for this in the future? I mean I just saw that for the new rock_avocado_bush you have 4 grow stages, while again the 3rd seems to be the one to considered "tall", but now you simply named them "stage_3" instead of "tall". Why dont you keep a pattern for this? Or in case the stage.name is not recommended to be used for that, how else can we modders find out if something growable is now in his best stage to be harvested? Or will stagenumber 3 always be the best stage?

Edited by Serpens

Share this comment

We don't have any enforced patterns for this. The concept of being pickable, harvestable, or workable is on the prefab, not the growable component. When an object has a growable component, it simply means that it cycles through various states over time.

The name field is not used by the marble shrub, which is why it wasn't added. I added the name field as per your request because I do understand modders not wanting to write a bunch of code to handle the name field being nil and it being easier to visualize. (Although, now that I think about it, mods will still have to support this due to any other mods the player is using)

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

5 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

We don't have any enforced patterns for this. The concept of being pickable, harvestable, or workable is on the prefab, not the growable component. When an object has a growable component, it simply means that it cycles through various states over time.

thank you for your response :)

Yes, but in the harvestable/workable functions is stuff wirtten like "if growstage==3 then give3coconuts end". This is impossible to use by a mod. So the only constant we currently have is the growstage.
Dont you think it would help modders and also developers, if you would make the loot more accessable? Eg. put into the growstages something like loot="none", loot="big"  and within harvestable you have a mod-accessable table that the "big" loot will be eg. 3 coconuts.
Of course this is only an example to show you what I mean.

Anyway even if you dont implement it, thank you for your time :)

Share this comment