Map Sharing is broken

Deilan
  • Fixed

Greetings!
Congratulations with the recent release, which all we waited for a long time. :)
I like to play DST with my friends. And I found the map sharing and global players indicators as the highly requested feature. I know that this is not a feature of the vanilla game, but there is an excellent and very popular mod, which provides the corresponding functionality. Unfortunately, according to the mod's author @rezecib, map sharing became broken at some point of game development because of some changes in the game's core if I understood correctly. And it still remains not fixed. Again, according to the author, there is not a very big change needed to make map sharing working...
Dear devs, please make the corresponding fixes to the game's core so that map sharing become able to work again! Especially if it is not a very big deal...
Perhaps not many players write about it here on the forums, but rest assured that this is a very requested feature. Many users of the mod ask about availability of the feature for very long time! Even though the author clearly noted the details about the unavailability of the feature on the mod's page. As for me and my friends: we stopped playing the game some time ago mostly due to the fact that the map sharing is broken. :( And we hoped that it will be fixed at some point near the release of the game. But the game has been released and map sharing is still not there... :(
Make us happy! :) Thanks in advance.

Steps to Reproduce
Enable Global Positions mod Enable Map sharing Start the world Disconnect Resume the world
  • Like 6

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Specifically, what needs to happen is a function that the server can call to unlock the functions MiniMap:RevealArea() and Map:VisitTile(), which currently are disabled for clients. This should really be a very simple thing to do, it's just a boolean netvar that can be set like TheNet:EnableMinimapReveal(true), and then the current code that checks if you're a client in those functions is adjusted to check for that netvar. If it were Lua, it doesn't sound like it'd take more than 5 minutes to implement, but I'll admit ignorance on the C++ code.

• Like 5

Share this comment

Devs, without the map share isn't that good to play with friends, we like to maximize our exploration at first days and isn't fun to start to guess if you already been there or is a new area

• Like 1

Share this comment

I have never used this mod, but I would very much like to. I just started streaming to Twitch and I think it would be great if people who join my server could see the same things I do!

Share this comment

Yeah this needs to be addressed. Either reply to @rezecib and say you're not fixing it & why, or fix it. If you've been to the Steam Workshop and have used the mod, I'm sure you can see it's value. 

Share this comment

Hello,

I would like to play this game with my wife but the removal of this feature just make it really hard to coordinate together :(

Any update on allowing this mod ?

Thanks,

Share this comment

I would like to speak out for myself, my wife and a few of our friends. We would like to be able to share our map exploration with ea other. We would enjoy the game a lot more if this co-op feature was added or at least let the mods do it. I hope u take the time to consider this request and have a good day.

-A group of fellow DST fans :)

Share this comment

Hello,

I am playing DST a lot with friends too. We exclusively play in cooperative survival style, no PVP ; this means that the map sharing would be great for us too ! This feature seems to be highly requested. 

I know you announced you wanted to make it a native and balanced feature of the game (in a Weekly DevCast), and we all understand it may take some time to implement it in a way you would find balanced and meaningful. However, if the possibility to fix this mod really is as simple as its author (rezecib) said, could you do it quickly as a short-term solution please ? And if it is not so simple, could you at least tell us where is the problem, why it can't be a short-term solution, and an estimate of the waiting time until we have your map sharing solution ?

Thank you in advance Klei.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Add my voice as well :)

I would really love being able to share my map with my friends even after disconnecting.

Share this comment

I think this mod helps a lot with efficiency, which is kinda of the point of playing with other people. Without this mod we cannot explore the map as quickly as we would like to.

Share this comment

Last night I play this game with my girl firend. At the beginning everthing went well. However, as we explore more , we found it difficult for us to find each other.(we are not working in the same city physically which means we are not in the same room and she is not sitting next to me )

Finally my girl friend died, she was sooooooo angry and said I didn't care about her. I was so unhappy too: when my girl firend died, I didn't even konw where she is and run like a headless chicken .

Today I go to find some mods whcih can share our location, howerer the only one mods which can share our loucation can not work! Plz enable map sharing dear devs.....

Share this comment

Hi!

I JUST got this game and i loved it! I invited all my friends to get it and it is so fun to struggle together haha. It would be really awesome to be able to figure out where we are so that we don't die all the time lol 

Thanks!

Share this comment

Me and my brother want map sharing. we play CO-OP vs. the environment and the lack of this feature is a pain in the ass

Share this comment

Just want to add my voice.

This map sharing could be more than a mod. It could be a feature.

Thanks !

Edited by Arno95

Share this comment

Hey guys, just throwing in my 2 cents. or 20 cents. I talk too much sometimes =D

Games such as this are wonderful. They are made more wonderful by amazing and insightful mods created for free by people like the guy who made this mod as an open sourced improvement to the game. I know this is lower priority than certain other things. But it is not every day that a mod maker not only makes something wonderful but also goes the extra 9 yards to help with code troubleshooting.

It would be cool to reward this type of help and I would smile quite a bit if this were to be added to a list of "extra credit things" (if you will) that you guys could start implementing with other updates. Not critical of course. But something to show fans (like the people who help improve upon a wonder game) that their contributions are appreciated and not deemed worthless.

Thanks =].

Share this comment

This mod is great, I would prefer it if map sharing worked. It would make the game enjoyable even more, rather than tell a friend to take a left then a right, go forward a little bit then right again, to then find my base.

Share this comment

I play with some friends too and map sharing coming back would be soooo fantastic!!!

One of the best mods ever *-*

Share this comment

The networking portion of the minimap is currently being refactored, and we'll make sure to post an update on how to mod it again once that is released. Thanks for your patience!

• Like 2

Share this comment