[macOS] DST is iCloud-unaware, resulting in data loss

myxal
  • Pending

Since macOS 10.12 I think, iCloud will "manage storage" and move things from ~/Desktop, ~/Documents etc. to cloud storage. In Finder, the files become greyed out and get a cloud icon on the right, which the user can click to download the files back to local storage. This is not transparent at the file access level - the files are replaced with links named like the original file + .icloud extension - ie. opening the original file will get you ENOENT.

Several times already, I experienced DST losing some data (typically mod configuration + enabled/disabled state), etc. when the storage manager decided to move files to the cloud, DST recreated default files, making the original files inaccessible. Fortunately for me, I don't host the games I play so I only lost mod configuration, but I imagine an unlucky user launching a server and overwriting the saveindex file with default will lose access to their cluster, as probably happened to the OP in the thread linked below.

From my experience, this will happen if the space is running "low" (I don't consider 8/60 GB low, but, whatever), and the files were not accessed in at least a week or so.

Regarding the attached logs:

• The launch at 16:31 was just to update mods (got 3 updates)
  • After launching at 21:06 and entering a game I realised the clients mods were disabled so I quit with cmd+Q
  • I triggered manual download from iCloud within Finder and re-launched at 21:10 - but the state which mods were enabled was already lost, and had to manually enabled them again.

client_log_2018-05-20-16-31-52.txt

client_log_2018-05-20-21-06-38.txt

client_log_2018-05-20-21-10-59.txt

Steps to Reproduce
1. Enable iCloud Drive for Desktop & Documents Folders
2. Enable Optimize Mac Storage
3. Have a DST data folder (with clusters, mods enabled and configured) sit without access for at least 10 days
4. Make sure some files were moved to iCloud
5. Launch DST and check if mods are still enabled and cluster launch as expected, ie without losing progress etc.

User Feedback

There are no comments to display.