Linux crash on launch with Steam beta: Unterminated quoted string

linux_sophia
  • Pending

DST crashes upon launch; the Steam box pops up for the game launching, it disappears, "Syncing" appears briefly in the Steam client on the line where DST is, and then nothing. I have been running the game successfully for some time, today after a PC restart the game does not run. 

The game is installed on my main SSD. Other games on the same drive (and other drives) launch fine. I attempted to verify files and this passed successfully. 

The issue is present in Steam beta and not the non-beta Steam client, the game launches and plays normally in the non-beta Steam client. 

Terminal output: 

Opted-in Controller Mask: 30
Game update: AppID 322330 "", ProcID 13541, IP 0.0.0.0:0
>>> Adding process 13541 for game ID 322330
GameAction [AppID 322330, ActionID 8] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/xxxxx/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
/bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
GameAction [AppID 322330, ActionID 8] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
>>> Adding process 13542 for game ID 322330
Game removed: AppID 322330 "", ProcID 13541 
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

System information:

Linux 4.13.0-45-generic #50~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 30 11:18:27 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lshw output:

https://pastebin.com/a399ueM1

Steps to Reproduce
Use Steam beta, launch game from Steam client

User Feedback

Apparently it is affecting several people. Try to take a look into the file $HOME/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/client_log.txt to see if the error is the game failing to launch steam. If so, I got the same issue.

Share this comment

Same/similar issue, Gentoo linux, Steam.  I play daily, and played a 45 minute Gorge game just yesterday.  There was a Steam update today, IIRC.

Have done "steam --reset", validated DST local game files integrity.

This is the output I get when trying to run:

GameAction [AppID 322330, ActionID 4] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
GameAction [AppID 322330, ActionID 4] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 322330, ActionID 4] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 322330, ActionID 4] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 322330, ActionID 4] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 322330, ActionID 4] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Opted-in Controller Mask: 32
Game update: AppID 322330 "", ProcID 18203, IP 0.0.0.0:0
>>> Adding process 18203 for game ID 322330
GameAction [AppID 322330, ActionID 4] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/urmane/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
GameAction [AppID 322330, ActionID 4] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
>>> Adding process 18204 for game ID 322330
Game removed: AppID 322330 "", ProcID 18203 
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

I understand that ld.so error is to be expected, but the next two /bin/sh lines look fishy.

EDIT: Plain Don't Starve works fine - appears limited to DST.

Edited by UrmaneHendrake

Share this comment

I can also confirm this issue with the latest steam beta and DST.

I tried to check the launch script, however i cant find any unterminated quoted string, so maybe this is an issue with steam?

Share this comment