Lag since newest update

ShadyBadger
  • Pending

I also posted this to the Steam forums, but I'll also try here since I don't think the Steam forums have a specific area for problems.

Just updated it and launched it since I was told there were Halloween costumes, and the game all of a sudden runs at like 10 FPS. Was perfectly fine prior. Any ideas.

Edit: Tried verifying game cache to no avail, and also tried a clean reinstall with the same results. Lost my beta desktop shortcut of Wilson and Willow standing next to each other, so now I'm sad. If anyone could help, it would be appreciated.

It runs in the 10s on the menus, and barely breaks 20 ingame. Never did this before this update. Tried opting in and out of the beta as well with no fix.

Steps to Reproduce
I launched the game?

User Feedback

Hi,

If you are still having the frame rate issue, could you please preform the following tests for me?

In the menus, when you have bad frame rate, could you press ` to open the debug console and enter: TheSim:Profile(1)

This will generate a file in your save file directory called profile.json. Could you attach this file to the bug report?

I would also like you to do the same thing ingame. It would also help if you could provide a screenshot so I can get an idea of what is in the world at the time. Do note that if you run the command a second time it will stop over the previous profile file.

Share this comment

Huh. I'm sorry, I just launched it, and now it's working fine all of a sudden. The only difference I'm noticing now from before (outside of the framerate) is that the loading screen now has the characters in their Halloween costumes. I have no idea why it's fine now, but it is.

Do you still want me to send a savefile, or is it un-needed now?

Share this comment

On 10/20/2016 at 6:20 PM, ScottHansen said:

Hi,

If you are still having the frame rate issue, could you please preform the following tests for me?

In the menus, when you have bad frame rate, could you press ` to open the debug console and enter: TheSim:Profile(1)

This will generate a file in your save file directory called profile.json. Could you attach this file to the bug report?

I would also like you to do the same thing ingame. It would also help if you could provide a screenshot so I can get an idea of what is in the world at the time. Do note that if you run the command a second time it will stop over the previous profile file.

So, the framerate drops are back all of a sudden after it was working just fine. Was playing multiplayer the past few days with no hitch, but now the same framerate problems are back. I put that command into the console, but I can't find a profile.json file in my Don't Starve Together Steam directory. Am I doing something wrong?

Share this comment

@ShadyBadger

The file should be located in your save file directory, not the steam directory. The default location for this is:

My Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether

If you are running the ANR beta: My Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherANewReign

If the problem is intermittent then it may be other applications running/updating while you are playing.

Share this comment

I think it may just be a problem with my computer now with what you said and how it's currently acting, but let me send you the files just to be safe. I did the command on the main menu when the framerate was bad, but after posting that I was in the wrong directory, I did a PC restart. It's running fine again. I checked Task Manager during the poor performance, and also checked to see if anything was updating, but I didn't notice anything. The attached profile.json is from the main menu while it was running at 10< FPS prior to restarting.

Also, I really appreciate the help, despite this probably being no fault of your guys' own.

profile.json

Share this comment

@ShadyBadger

No problem and thanks for the profile. A couple more questions: 

1) Do you have a controller attached?
2) Are you using a wifi connection?
3) Would you be willing to reproduce this once more time? I've attached a file that contains more detailed profiling. Could you go into your Don't Starve Together steam folder and replace the file: \data\scripts\frontend.lua with the attached version? Then next time you get bad framerate in the menus, run TheSim:Profile(1) again. (You can either backup your original version of the file or run the "Validate Integrity of Game Cache" via steam to restore the original)

frontend.lua

Share this comment

I don't have a controller attached, I'm connected to the internet via ethernet cable, and if/when it happens again, I'll exit, replace the file, and send forward the new profile.

Share this comment

Sorry to arise this post again, but after a good long streak of the game running perfectly fine, the 10 FPS menu and game thing came back. I'm gonna reset my PC, but before I do so, I replaced the frontend.lua and did the TheSim:Profile(1) thing again. Here's the new profile.json file following your instructions.

profile.json

Share this comment

On 11/3/2016 at 8:41 AM, ShadyBadger said:

Sorry to arise this post again, but after a good long streak of the game running perfectly fine, the 10 FPS menu and game thing came back. I'm gonna reset my PC, but before I do so, I replaced the frontend.lua and did the TheSim:Profile(1) thing again. Here's the new profile.json file following your instructions.

profile.json

Thank you for arising this post again. It's an issue that I'd really like to identify the cause of.

I've attached a new frontend.lua for to try if this happens again (you will need to restart the game after replacing file). Unfortunately the previous one didn't add enough profiling data.

Some other things I'd like to know:
- Are you downloading anything?
- Did a windows update apply during this time?
- Did any other application update during this time?
- Are you running the A New Reign beta?

frontend.lua

Thanks!

Share this comment

I'm not usually downloading anything while playing DST, there shouldn't have been a Windows update being applied at that time, I don't think there were any applications automatically updating while I was playing, but I play in fullscreen. The first time it happened, though, I made sure to look and see if anything was updating, and it wasn't at that time. I also pretty much always play in the A New Reign beta. I'll send the new profile.json if/when it happens again.

Share this comment

Just happened again, sending forward the new profile.json. Hopefully it helps. Gonna restart my PC again to fix the issue.

Something worth noting is that I have to put the frontend.lua into the Don't Starve Together folder in the Steam directory, and not the Don't Starve Together Beta folder, and when getting the profile.json, it's located in DoNotStarveTogetherANewReignBeta instead of just DoNotStarveTogether. I do play in the beta all the time, so I don't know if that has any significance, but I thought I'd mention that.

profile.json

Share this comment