Issue with xbox one and ps4 controllers on mac OS Mojave (10.14.6)

theblacklapinou
  • Pending

Hi team! 

I encountered an issue with my two controllers (xbox one and ps4), I'm using a macbook pro and an imac, both running on Mac Os Mojave (10.14.06), the same issue happened.

In game, I can't plant trees nor use a backpack while playing with a controller, it seems that there's a double input/conflict when using the arrow button. When you select a seed and push the right(left? can't remember) arrow button, it shows for one frame the location where you are going to plant it but takes you instantly back to the seed's menu (inspect,  plant, drop).

About the backpack, when I equip one, i can only navigate the backpack's slots (the lower level of the inventory slots). Going up and down using the R stick won't work in any case, so unless I equip a suit/armor to unequip the backpack,I jus't can't access my regular inventory anymore. 

I tried to change some controller settings, but I can only set the inputs to the left of the R stick.  (< R ).  (The Window asking you to enter a new input  just flash on the screen for one frame).

This happened on a fresh server one of my computers was hosting, but I loaded a 6-months-old, not-updated server and the same issues where there too.

Meanwhile, everything seems to work fine with the keyboard and the mouse.

I believe issues on Mac is not your first priority, but I want to say that you are doing an amazing job! Thank you for all the efforts you put in the wonderful  games you make.

Screenshot 2019-11-13 at 00.16.04.png

Steps to Reproduce
Planting tree seeds: 1) launch the game on mac Os Mojave with a xbox one or ps4 controller connected (the game won't recognise the controller if you disconnect it and reconnect it while running) and connect yourself to a server or host one. 2) Get an axe and cut a tree 3) pick up a tree seed 4) plant a tree seed using the right arrow button. the seed's menu will change for one frame and nothing else will happen. That's it, you can't plant a seed! Backpack: 1) launch the game on mac Os Mojave with a xbox one or ps4 controller connected (the game won't recognise the controller if you disconnect it and reconnect it while running) and connect yourself to a server or host one. 2) get a backpack 3) equip the backpack 4) you can't access your regular inventory anymore congratulation! 5) to undo this, equip something else(like an armor) instead of the backpack.
  • Like 2

User Feedback

Hi,

There's two things I'd like you to try:

1 - Right Click DST in your steam inventory, and go to 'properties'. In the 'general' tab make sure that 'Steam Input Per Game' is set to 'force off'

2 - Launch the game, open the debug console ('~' key) and enter: 

ResetControllersAndQuitGame() 

...followed by enter.

The game should quit, but hopefully after that your joypad should work again.

Please let me know if not, or if this needs more explanation.

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

Ok Thank you very much for your fast answer!

So… it worked technically, but on both machines the command did not quit the game. I also had to try a few times.

On the imac the console did not show any command logged after entering it and did not quit the game.
On the macbook pro the console quit when entering the command but it did not quit the game and an error was logged.5dcc4d2343524_Screenshot2019-11-13at19_20_06.thumb.png.f9d2faf67ede8183b6abfb1d9846bf85.png

In the end. I think that the process to make it work was :

1) Selecting "force off" in the steam input per game settings of DST

2) restart steam

3) Launch a game in DST

4) Open the debug console, and enter 

3b) maybe do it twice just in case?

5) quit the game

6) restart steam

7) Launch DST with a controller plugged in

8) Go to Options>Settings>Input Device> *select the name of the controller in use*

Everything seems fine now!

Thank you for your help! You're amazing!

Share this comment

Ah, yes, the console command only works if you're not in Gameplay. Guess I could have worded 'launch the game' differently, it's supposed to be done from the menu basically (just so that you don't accidentally lose your world - if you're in gameplay it will do exactly nothing)

Glad it's working for you now!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Umm...I had the exact same problem, and I tried the method mention above but after I did

""1) Selecting "force off" in the steam input per game settings of DST""

this step the game just woudlnt launch anymore, I tried turning that setting back on then the game would launch but the problem of controller not working properly still exists...Im using 2017macbook pro 15 inch with catalina 10.15.2 

The problem only happens with xbox one controller, ps4 controller from a friend works just fine.

Any help would be appreciated... desprerately needing to play the game

Share this comment

On 2019/11/14 at 2:58 AM, theblacklapinou said:

Ok Thank you very much for your fast answer!

So… it worked technically, but on both machines the command did not quit the game. I also had to try a few times.

On the imac the console did not show any command logged after entering it and did not quit the game.
On the macbook pro the console quit when entering the command but it did not quit the game and an error was logged.5dcc4d2343524_Screenshot2019-11-13at19_20_06.thumb.png.f9d2faf67ede8183b6abfb1d9846bf85.png

In the end. I think that the process to make it work was :

1) Selecting "force off" in the steam input per game settings of DST

2) restart steam

3) Launch a game in DST

4) Open the debug console, and enter 

3b) maybe do it twice just in case?

5) quit the game

6) restart steam

7) Launch DST with a controller plugged in

8) Go to Options>Settings>Input Device> *select the name of the controller in use*

Everything seems fine now!

Thank you for your help! You're amazing!

Thank you for bringing this problem out. I met the same problem yesterday, and then I successfully solved it with the method you mentioned. I don't know exactly why, but it does solve the problem. It's amazing. By the way, I didn't find a similar query on a Chinese search engine, but I'm sure someone has the same problem. I will post this problem and the solution on the forum in China to help those friends who can't use Google. Thank you again.

Edited by Yuxi233

Share this comment

Hi, I have been running don't starve on my macbook pro trying to play the game with an xbox one controller, had the same problem as theblacklapinou and others in this thread , and the fix brought up by bizziboi worked, but only for one or two playthroughs. I was very gratified and excited to see there was this fix for it, but during one of my playthroughs after it started working, i went to the john and been a while there so when i came back my xbox controller (wireless) had powered off, i try to go back in the game, restart it, etc. and now the original issue persists no matter what i do, ie. menu controls are jacked up--cursor moves way too quickly, backpack controls jacked up, cannot plant items. tried the mentioned fix again a few times afterward, experimented with steam settings and with my controller settings, looked up any possible info for other fixes--which there seem to be none i can find; it's stuck at the original problem. considered-well, the developers are probably still working on an official fix for it, but noticed the original poster of this thread posted about a year and a half ago with this same problem and there's still no official fix. this is quite frustrating. was really enjoying this game and i would like to be able to play it with a controller on my computer , but once you get to the point in the game where you realize planting items is essential part of gameplay and you can't do it or can't really play the game with a video game controller it's ehhhh like what the heck........

Share this comment

I'm currently facing the same problem.

I'm running the game Don't Starve with an Xbox Series S controller, on macOS Big Sur version 11.3.

When I tried to follow the steps described above, the game closed the next time I tried to log in after typing the command.

Share this comment