Greetings everyone I need your help.
I have a "high end gaming laptop" but Don't Starve hates my PC. I have constant 60 fps (checked via ingame fps counter) but the game feels like it has around 30 fps instead with occasional stutter. FPS counter only drops when I'm scrolling the map and when there are too many stuff on the screen, I can understand why. It is most noticable under special effects like insanity or strong wind/rain, during winter.
In short the game isn't smooth even if it shows 60FPS.
ASUS RoG GL553vd:
- CPU: Intel i5-7300HQ 2.50GHz
- GPU: Intel HD Graphic 630 & NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050
I have a feeling it has to do something with Optimus in my laptop - it must be confused. Something must be wrong with screen refreshing.
Things I tried so far without fix:
- Set preffered GPU to Geforce 1050;
- Set power managment to maximum performance;
- Turn off Vsync, Turn on Triple buffering;
- playing around with nvidia settings \ nvidia inspector;
- Install Asus drivers -> install Nvidia and Intel drivers -> going back to Asus drivers;
- Monitor temperatures, nothing overheats. I even put fresh paste which reduced temps by 10 degrees;
- Screen has set 59Hz
- Give DST high priority etc.
- I Installed fresh Windows 10 on my new SSD card. The game is also there. It was my last step so fresh drivers don't collide with eachother.
- even more things I forgot to mention
I have only one mod: Geometric placement. DST is bearable but SW and Hamlet not. If I turn off the mod I only see improvement in Hamlet. My laptop is still under warranty (well it was until I opened it up). I'm used to play games with ~30fps but don't you think I should get more with my setup? Seems unfair.
I fought with this issue for like a month. I gave up Don't Starve for now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S: It used to run very good with diagonal tearing ( common problem with dual GPU notebooks, similar to Vsync). I had a workaround tearing (Optimus issue) but it seems some updates fixed it messing with my framerate. I can't revert it.
Buy the Asus GL553vd and install the game. Just kidding don't buy gaming laptop.
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now