Dontstarve.exe has stopped working..

ashley_brook
  • Pending

Hi there,

I have been playing DST for about two months now and have enjoyed it immensely..

I recently added the Minimap HUD mod to the game with no problems at all. I played this way for about two weeks before the mod bug hit me. I added about 5 mods to the game before realizing I ought to check the game was still working. It wasn't. Now I get the common "dontstarve.exe has stopped working" when I click "Host Game". I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game countless times and have verified my games cache. I don't care about retaining any of the saves on the game as most of them were new games anyways.

I have attached my DxDiag and ClientLog.

Please help me!

Thank you in advance! <3

Steps to Reproduce
I open the game I click 'play' - everything is fine here I log in to Steam through the game fine I try to click 'host game' and I get the error message Game closes

User Feedback

Hey @ashley_brook, based on the following line in your client_log.txt file:

[00:00:29]: ..\source\renderlib\OpenGL\HWTexture.cpp(403) : - ../mods/workshop-1262581983/modicon.tex: The engine doesn't currently support 3D textures. Did you mean to use a 2D texture?

The game is crashing due to a mod you installed. So go to this location in Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\mods and delete OR move to another location the folder called workshop-1262581983. The number beside the filename's "workshop-###" is the steam workshop id. Copying that mod id to a browser https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1262581983, it seems to be the infinite stack size mod. Unsubscribe from that and see if you'll be able to play now.

Be aware though, that your crash could be due to conflicting mods so it may still crash. But for now, try and remove the mod files and unsubscribe to them on the steamworkshop. Then we'll go from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hi Zillvr, thanks for helping!

I went onto the game and tried the debug log and debug console after unsubscribing from all mods. I can now play the game as if nothing happened. All my saves are there and everything! 

Do you think I would be safe to try subscribe back to the HUD mod? That's the only one I miss..

Again, thanks (:

From a technologically illiterate DST fan

Share this comment

@ashley_brook, unfortunately I can't be certain since there are a bunch of HUD mods on the steam workshop. The best way to determine if any issues may arise is to either actually try out the mods OR look at the comments on the mod you are subscribed to. Sometimes people are already reporting issues about the mod to the mod creators, so that'll be a good indicator of whether you should reconsider using a specific mod.

Also look at when the mod was last updated, cause old mods have a high chance of not working on the current version of DST. Good luck.

• Like 1

Share this comment