Dedicated Server Failed to Start

FirenRain
  • Pending

Hi there,

The server crashed while I was playing with 1 friend and after that I cannot resume hosting the server anymore.

"Dedicated Server Failed To Start: There was some kind of trouble starting up the server. How odd."

I attached the required files that I could find, please let me know if any other files are needed. (The Steam .mdmp file was not found according to your instruction).

Thank you!

DxDiag.txt

client_log.txt

Steps to Reproduce
I was building pighouse in cave when the server crashed. I tried to restart Steam and verified integrity of the game cache but didn't help.

User Feedback

Hello @FirenRain, welcome to the forums. Seems like this is an issue with one of your mods. Based on the client_log.txt file you provided it looks like the mod Never Perish Icebox gets a warning for not having any specifications if whether it is compatible with DST. I'd recommend you turn off the mod and try again. There should be a way to modify the mod yourself, but I don't have the necessary know-how to do so, sorry.

Lastly, since you are hosting the server, can you attach the server_log.txt in both the Master and Caves folder located in the Dedicated Server folders. The server itself may be stuck up on something else entirely. Report back with the server_log files. Cheers.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Hi there,

Thank you for looking into the problem. I had those mods from a long time ago, I knew many were outdated (cause I enabled some for my last server and errors appeared) so I did not enable any of them before I hosted this server.

I just unsubscribed and cleaned all the mods but the server still cannot be resumed, same error report.

Could you inspect the Caves and Master server_log files I attach please, thank you !

server_log.txt

server_log.txt

Share this comment

@FirenRain Sadly it seems like your cave's save data file was corrupted. As far as I know you have the following options:

• Option 1: You could attempt to delete the session file in this location Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Caves\save\session\192F7D1D9770C288\0000000169 (it's the specific session data that is corrupted). Unfortunately, I haven't had any save corruptions before but I believe deleting that session save file MAY also cause you to lose your player data (items equipped and carried when the server crashed). This option will have you reselect your character.

I'm sorry, I should've asked for the server_log.txt first when it first crashed cause that would tell us why it crashed in the first place. But since it crashed and it wasn't saved properly, the save file is now corrupted when you tried to start up the server again and thus upon starting the server again it overwrote the crash-log of when it first crashed. Sorry.

• Option 2: Can you attempt to rollback the server to the latest possible point though wherein you're sure you were still outside the cave before it crashed? You are running the server form Host Game screen, right? There should be a Rollback tab in the Host Game screen for you to roll back to a specific point on the server. Again, I'm also not sure if this would work since I haven't had any corrupt saves happen to my servers before. I'm not entirely sure if this would force you to reselect your character or not. Since again, I have had no experience with corrupt save data for my servers. This may bring you back to the surface, if it's possible to rollback even if a session file is corrupted. This option is untested.
  • Option 3: Last option is to delete the whole save folder in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Caves\. Doing so will save your Overworld. Then upon accessing the caves again, a new cave system will be generated. Be reminded that deleting the save files of the caves will also delete your player data (character used, items in inventory and items equipped) since you were in the caves when it crashed. This option will have you reselect your character. 

Although if you were mainly playing and building a base in the Caves, then in that case you have no other choice but to start over. Be aware that these three options are independent of each other, so choose whichever option you'd like to attempt. The least progress lost may be Option 3 which I'm sure would save the overworld. 

I'm sorry again for not asking the server_log.txt first before asking you to "turn off any mods and try the server again". If it crashes again and you're not sure why, get a copy of the server_log.txt right after the crash and submit a new bug report with it. Don't start up the server yet before you get the server_log.txt. 

Hopefully I could help you better next time, I'm sorry. Cheers. 

Share this comment

Hi Zillvr,

I tried the Option 1 to delete the specific corrupted session data that you pointed out and it worked great. I did not have to reselect character, the data was rolled back a little bit but still within the same day so it is no big deal, I did not lose many stuffs.

So thank you very much for your enthusiasm and the time you invested in investigating the problem and giving 3 options for me to choose from, I really appreciate all those efforts !

Could you tell me how to figure out the corrupted session data (for example, the 0000000169 file above) ? So that I might fix the server if it ever gets crashed again.

Share this comment

@FirenRain Well awesome it worked out, if you look back I asked for your server_log.txt files and in the server_log.txt file of the Caves you will find the following line:

[00:00:05]: [string "scripts/saveindex.lua"]:264: Corrupt Save file [session/192F7D1D9770C288/0000000169]
LUA ERROR stack traceback:

The game is able to detect which ever save session file is corrupted and output it into the server_log.txt file. Since its corrupted the server couldn't start up. That's where I figured which specific file you could try to delete. The server_log.txt file of Master and Caves would always help when diagnosing crashes in DST when you are the host. Although if you experience a crash on somebody else's server, the client_log.txt in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether would be your next choice.

I'm glad it helped, good luck and have fun out there. Cheers.

• Like 1

Share this comment