Sign in to follow this  

Dedicated server failed to start

bk1421997
  • Pending

server_log.txt

Hi!
My problem: I cannot launch existing worlds, created by me. It is launching for long period of time and then write: Dedicated server failed to start. And I can't creat a new world too. They are all hosted, not dedicated. With caves. Disable mods did not help.

I tried: restart PC, verify integrity through Steam, run as admin. Nothing helps. 

768412502_nh.thumb.png.d90b819d145d7068f0a65e9a79e093e4.png

1074629964_nh.thumb.png.9a99c2e40d16115297cde0b1b9f7fba5.png

server_log.txt

Steps to Reproduce

+ Start Don't starve together -> Start hosted game -> Dedicated server failed to start
+ Restart Computer -> Start Don't starve together -> Start hosted game -> Dedicated server failed to start -> Verify Integrity of Game Files -> Start Don't starve together -> Start hosted game -> Dedicated server failed to start

client_log.txt

• Like 1
Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

I've had it as well for months. just to make sure we have the same problem, disable caves and try to generate a new world

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

This is happening to me right now whenever I try to make a new world it says dedicated server failed to start but also when I make a world without caves it works just fine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Having Same Issue. New Player. Only playing for 40+ hrs now. Just getting the hang of the game.

Not interested in starting a new game, just want to continue with the ones i've got going.

Since the new update (6/24/21) I get same error as above, on all my saves.

I was able to start a new game as long as it had no mods or caves. played for 2 in-game days, exited. But now wont resume that save either.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Share this comment

Been having the same problem too. It launches for a long time then you hear a sound (like the one you hear when you hover your mouse pointer to something on the main menu) and it says dedicated server failed to start. Hoping for a fix. Really excited to play my main with his new refresh.

Share this comment

I use Avast Antivirus, and I can confirm that creating an exception on the Steam Library fixed the issue.
No idea why this error popped up out of nowhere in the first place, but that's that.

Share this comment

Hey guys iaregravt is right. I was having the same issues since the update. My avast was causing the issue.

Add this exception: (note that your paths could be different so check them, I found my via my windows firewall exceptions)

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin\dontstarve_steam.exe

• Like 2

Share this comment

Created an Exception in my AVG antivirus/firewall software but still get same Dedicated server error.

Don't really like the idea of making this exception since the game has worked fine since purchase.

I have the antivirus/Firewall software for a reason. Making exceptions only puts holes in it.... making it useless....

Will have to wait for a patch i guess.

Shame, I was really enjoying the game. Guess it's back to No Man's Sky....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

4 hours ago, PeskyBees said:

Hey guys iaregravt is right. I was having the same issues since the update. My avast was causing the issue.

Add this exception: (note that your paths could be different so check them, I found my via my windows firewall exceptions)

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin\dontstarve_steam.exe

To me this didn't work but when I added dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe to the exception it started working.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Apparently it was the anti virus.

After the new update the anti virus added the documents folder to the ransomware shield. I just stopped "protecting" the documents folder and it worked just fine.

I'm using avast so it may be different with other anti viruses.

Share this comment

39 minutes ago, Robemi1 said:

Apparently it was the anti virus.

After the new update the anti virus added the documents folder to the ransomware shield. I just stopped "protecting" the documents folder and it worked just fine.

I'm using avast so it may be different with other anti viruses.

Can you tell me what exactly you did to make it work again,Im still trying to fix it but no results

Can anyone help ?

Ok so I solved the problem for me I had to add to extensions E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin\dontstarve_steam.exe this that teruo.kun but I had to replace the E: with C: (Sorry if this was like something I was supposed to know im just stupid)so intead of E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin\dontstarve_steam.exe I put C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin\dontstarve_steam.exe I think this is what solved my problem 
Hope this helps :)

Share this comment

found fix for avg users

go to blocked and allowed aplications, add steam and dont starve to allowed ones

then go to exceptions and again add steam and dont starve

should work

Edited by Kremik

Share this comment

Anything for avast users? I've tried the same stuff, added all the exceptions, everywhere, nothing
So it might work, just not on my old running server, hmm
Might also be my 90 mods

Edited by Ikkegwn

Share this comment