Dedicated Server Failed To Start

alphanumeric_x
  • Closed

I know this is a known issue and there was apparently an update to fix it but I'm still experiencing this when attempting to generate a new world with caves on. I downloaded the update, that didn't fix it. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled the game, that didn't fix it. I uninstalled the game and went into steamapps to delete the rest of the DST files then reinstalled the game, that didn't fix it.

Edit 9/29

So I'm able to use my laptop to play, on there it's perfectly fine. I'm also able to join games with caves on, along with being able to enter the caves. So it seems the issue is with my desktop - I'm not even sure where to start looking?

Steps to Reproduce
A world without caves generates just fine, it seems to be the act of adding caves that the issue crops up.

User Feedback

Thank you for testing on your laptop. 

Try these steps on your desktop:
- launch DST and disable all client mods
- close DST
- verify your game files via steam (instructions here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)
- launch DST, keep all client mods disabled
- try to create a new world with caves and no server mods 

if that fails then please attach the server_log.tex files for Master and Caves located at:
- Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Master
- Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Caves
(replace "Cluster_1" with the cluster your world is saved to)

Share this comment

2 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Thank you for testing on your laptop. 

Try these steps on your desktop:
- launch DST and disable all client mods
- close DST
- verify your game files via steam (instructions here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)
- launch DST, keep all client mods disabled
- try to create a new world with caves and no server mods 

if that fails then please attach the server_log.tex files for Master and Caves located at:
(replace "Cluster_1" with the cluster your world is saved to)

I disabled all client mods, verified files via steam, disabled client mods and attempted to create a new world with no server mods. It immediately failed.

I'm unable to find those files? I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. I feel like this is more information than you're looking for but I don't really know what do to. Thanks for your assistance!

DoNotStarveTogether.png

69051621.png

Cluster_1.png

Caves.png

Master.png

Share this comment

When you said "Dedicated Server Failed To Start", are you running a proper dedicated server or creating a caves-enabled work from the Host World screen?

Share this comment

45 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

When you said "Dedicated Server Failed To Start", are you running a proper dedicated server or creating a caves-enabled work from the Host World screen?

I apologize for not being clear on that - I'm creating a caves-enabled work from the Host World screen.

Share this comment

Thanks. It is very odd that it failed before the log files were created. Could you please try again on the latest update (rev 278705) and try again.
If the logs are still do not created then please attach the client_log.txt located in \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\

Share this comment

3 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Thanks. It is very odd that it failed before the log files were created. Could you please try again on the latest update (rev 278705) and try again.
If the logs are still do not created then please attach the client_log.txt located in \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\

Yeah, it's an instant error. I attempted to create a default world with caves on again, no mods and it is doing the same thing.

I can't locate that file? If you check my images that I uploaded previously that's what shows up currently - there is no client_log.txt file that I can see.

EDIT: So if you look at the screen shots I previously posted you can see that the cluster_1 folder is in a subfolder that I haven't seen mentioned. I went ahead and moved the files out of the folder named 69051621 into DoNotStarveTogether and deleted 69051621. When I attempted to resume the world the client_log.txt file generated.

client_log.txt

DoNotStarveTogether 2.png

Edited by alphanumeric_x
Additional information.

Share this comment

18 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

The log file is implying that there is a windows file permissions issue within the DST folder. 

How would I resolve that issue? I went into steamapps and used the Run as Administrator option which didn't fix anything, I also changed the permissions for the dontstarve_steam.exe to full control but that didn't do anything to fix it either.

Share this comment

First try to run steam as an administrator. (Shut down steam, then right-click on the steam shortcut and select "Run as administrator")

Next, if its a file permission thing then it would be the permission settings for one or more of the following:
- Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\

Share this comment

2 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

First try to run steam as an administrator. (Shut down steam, then right-click on the steam shortcut and select "Run as administrator")

Next, if its a file permission thing then it would be the permission settings for one or more of the following:
- Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\

Okay wow! So running Steam as an administrator fixed the issue - I can't believe it was as simple as that. I appreciate your help so so much!

• Like 1

Share this comment