controller won't work on mac


Mite75
  • Pending

I'm using a playstation DualShock controller on mac os Mojave. When the wurt update happened it behaved bizarrely because the game would only recognize it as an Xbox controller, but it still worked. I played yesterday just fine, but today the game won't pick up on the controller input. I am certain my controller works with steam just fine. 


Steps to Reproduce
Use macOS with a DualShock ps4 controller and try to select or move anything.


User Feedback


Hi,

OSX Catalina support required some rewiring under the hood which seems to cause issues with joystick support.

Could you try the below and let me know if it works for you?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Hi,

OSX Catalina support required some rewiring under the hood which seems to cause issues with joystick support.

Could you try the below and let me know if it works for you?

 

No this does not work. It just asks me if I want to enable my controller on startup. I selected yes and the game still doesn't respond to my controller.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
Just now, bizziboi said:

Darn, I'll investigate.

Quick question, are you using a Dualshock, Dualshock 2, 3 or 4? (ie PSX, PS2, PS3 or PS4)

 

Thank you! I'm using a Dualshock 4

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh sorry, you mentioned that, juggling a few threads on the topic.

That is strange, that works both wired and wireless (via bluetooth) for me (on Mojave as well)

Did you also remove the 'profile' file?

Could you attach your client_log.txt?

Oh, one more thing:

Could you try right clicking DST in your steam library and set the "Steam Input Per-Game Setting" to 'Forced Off" if it isn't and deleting those files again?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bizziboi said:

Oh sorry, you mentioned that, juggling a few threads on the topic.

That is strange, that works both wired and wireless (via bluetooth) for me (on Mojave as well)

Did you also remove the 'profile' file?

Could you attach your client_log.txt?

Oh, one more thing:

Could you try right clicking DST in your steam library and set the "Steam Input Per-Game Setting" to 'Forced Off" if it isn't and deleting those files again?

Yeah, I removed the profile file. I'm going to try attaching the client_log. Also if it helps the options menu is doing something weird in relation to my controller. It has an arrow to switch input device but when I click it it just makes the normal sound effect and does not change from keyboard/mouse.  

client_log.txt

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 3.17.03 PM.png

Oh also changing Steam input per-game setting to forced off did nothing except now when I deleted the files again it did not ask me if I wanted to enable the controller.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this log from after deleting profile and client.ini and disabling the per game input mapping?

Because according to that log the game doesn't see any joystick, and I only get that with the steam controller mapping enabled. With it disabled it does properly detect it for me.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

Is this log from after deleting profile and client.ini and disabling the per game input mapping?

Because according to that log the game doesn't see any joystick, and I only get that with the steam controller mapping enabled. With it disabled it does properly detect it for me.

yes it is. I have a copy of the log from before I deleted anything client_log.txt

Oh!! wait it works now!! I'm not sure what I did differently. I may have deleted the wrong file last time when the enable controlled popup did not show up? but I deleted client.ini and profile, started the game up, it prompted me to enable controller and it worked!   

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm, I was wrong. It does detect it. It actually detects 2 joysticks, a Dualshock and something called "GamePad-1". I have no idea what that GamePad-1 is but perhaps it's confusing things.

Any idea what it could be? Do you have any other controllers hooked up or mysterious drivers to fake joystick input?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

so I think the steam input per game setting thing fixed it?

sorry my newest post merged with my older one. It works now! I may have deleted the wrong file last time when the enable controlled popup did not show up? but I deleted client.ini and profile, started the game up, it prompted me to enable controller and it worked!

 I am not sure what gamepad could be?? I have used different controllers with this game but they are all DualShock 4

 

It even recognizes it as a ps4 controller now so the buttons that show up are correct!! thank you so much! 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, glad to hear that.

Maybe it was indeed the Steam setting not quite correct and that was what the game detects as GamePad 1 - no idea really.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 9:07 PM, bizziboi said:

Hmmm, I was wrong. It does detect it. It actually detects 2 joysticks, a Dualshock and something called "GamePad-1". I have no idea what that GamePad-1 is but perhaps it's confusing things.

Any idea what it could be? Do you have any other controllers hooked up or mysterious drivers to fake joystick input?

Isn't "GamePad-1" the PS4 controller's touch pad? the useless touch-sensitive black square in the middle of the ps4 controller ya know? I'm not sure, but I've seen strange things happen with that stuff on other games.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, DST doesn't detect that button (except on PS4 that is). GamePad-1 is likely a string returned by steam when you enable its steam controller emulation.

  • Thanks 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now