Controller - Can't Change Controls - "APPLY" Button will not work

blargargy
  • Pending

I unbinded the pause button from the controls menu, in order to replace the 'start' button on my Xbox 360 controller with Zoom In. The intention was that I'd use my keyboard's 'ESC' to disconnect/pause.

The problem is, ever since clicking 'Apply' to this change, I cannot make any other changes to my controls. Because the 'Apply' button is the same as the pause button - and because my pause button has been disabled - I cannot hit 'Apply' no matter how wildly I click my 'start' button.

Even if I go back into edit controls and select my start button - or any button - as my 'pause' button, it will not register this change. If I click my 'start' button after binding 'pause' to it in order to 'apply' my edits, nothing will happen. Which means no matter what I do, I am unable to edit my controls in any capacity. I cannot even revert back to default controls as the option to 'Apply' the change does not exist.

Steps to Reproduce
*Use controller* Game Options Controls Unbind 'Pause' 'Apply changes' = Cannot make any other changes for controller.

User Feedback

The game has now become unplayable with a controller, as I just realized the 'start' button is required in order to actually host or join a game.

This is so depressing! My setup makes keyboard and mouse extremely uncomfortable, I really need to use a controller with this game!

Share this comment

Sorry to hear that you've run into this problem. To revert your current bindings you can also delete your profile data which is located here (Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_save\profile). Don't worry, this won't delete your account inventory, just the local settings.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, PeterA said:

Sorry to hear that you've run into this problem. To revert your current bindings you can also delete your profile data which is located here (Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_save\profile). Don't worry, this won't delete your account inventory, just the local settings.

Thank you so much Peter, I will do this as soon as I get home tonight. Appreciate the quick response!

• Like 1

Share this comment

Set up an account just to bump this.

Reverting profiles is not a viable option for anyone new to the game. I would have liked to play with controller but was unable to because of this issue. If the game defaults to kb and mouse and you can't click "apply" when changing the controls to "joypad" then you can't use one.

The pc version of the game advertises itself as having controller support but essentially does not currently have controller support for new players encountering this. It's not that much of a pain, kb and mouse works fine, but I'd have really liked to play from my sofa on the tv so figured I'd add in this bump as it's being linked to from other places discussing the issue that are visible when google searching it.

Playstation 4 controller on windows 10, if that helps narrow down the issue at all.

Edited by Awoofle

Share this comment

22 hours ago, Awoofle said:

you can't click "apply" when changing the controls to "joypad" then you can't use one.

Can you try switching to controller, pressing up or down on the left thumb stick and then start/options to Apply?

Share this comment

On 3/26/2018 at 12:54 PM, Awoofle said:

Set up an account just to bump this.

Reverting profiles is not a viable option for anyone new to the game. I would have liked to play with controller but was unable to because of this issue. If the game defaults to kb and mouse and you can't click "apply" when changing the controls to "joypad" then you can't use one.

The pc version of the game advertises itself as having controller support but essentially does not currently have controller support for new players encountering this. It's not that much of a pain, kb and mouse works fine, but I'd have really liked to play from my sofa on the tv so figured I'd add in this bump as it's being linked to from other places discussing the issue that are visible when google searching it.

Playstation 4 controller on windows 10, if that helps narrow down the issue at all.

It's 2021 and I just bought this game on steam.  The pc version of the game does have Xbox controller support.  I'm using a Xbox one controller on pc.  The problem that I experienced and I think a lot other people are experiencing is difficulty in being able to save the options after changing settings to controller device and trying to leave the options menu. 

This is what you do - Go into the 'Options" menu, after setting the 'Device Input'  to controller and making whatever other changes you want to do and it's time to leave and go back to the main menu, do the following -  Press the menu button on the top of your Xbox controller, it's the small round button that has a typical hamburger icon with three horizontal lines printed on it, next accept changes and your done.

This had me stumped and frustrated for quite a while before I figured it out.  Hope this post helps someone else out there.  Now I'm off to actually play the game and see if it's as good as what the reviews say.  Have a happy day.

Edited by darkmule
Wanted to specify which brand of type of controller I was using in second sentence (Xbox controller).

Share this comment