Console Commands Not Working w/ Update

Pumpkinsnuffle
  • Pending

Hello, 

Prior to this update, my friends and I regularly used console commands on our player-hosted servers to do fun games with each other like mock Hunger Games and such. But right after we updated our games, console commands didn't work anymore, and we were very disappointed. :(

Steps to Reproduce
Open server, try to use console commands.

User Feedback

Welcome to the forums.

The latest update changed how player-hosted servers work - the game starts actual server in the background and you are the client of it. Commands entered into console are thus run on your client by default, not on the server.

To run a command on the server you need to switch to remote mode. Pressing Ctrl toggles the remote mode, a text next to console should confirm that, then Enter as usual.

Share this comment

So, even if you're the host you have to do this? 

My friend who usually hosts is telling me that when they go to enter commands it's already got remote enabled. And after the update, I was no longer an admin even though I'm still on the admin list in their game files (as we know that only admin can enter commands). It's been all around just acting weird and different! 

Share this comment

Can I stop CTRL for toggles the remote mode ? 

never even one once I type command by my own finger xD 

so when I copy command and paste it I need to press ctrl and thats make me press ctrl again to back to remote mode

is there a way to get rid of  ctrl toggles ?  or disable it???

ps. sorry for bad english xD I'm asian 

Edited by Nizzu

Share this comment

@Pumpkinsnuffle, now that there are two ways to host a game it can be confusing. If the old way is used (Multi-Leveled Worlds option is disabled) host can not toggle the remote mode, all their commands affect the gameplay. If the new way is used (Multi-Leveled Worlds option is enabled) host can toggle the remote mode and it seems it is indeed enabled when first opening the debug console.

Clients who are not admins can enter commands into the debug console as well, they will just affect their client-side of the game (thus most of the commands will fail), not the gameplay that is controlled by host.

Adminlist file location have changed after the update, so if your friend did not accommodate this, the game might not recognize you as an admin. Player score board (displayed by pressing TAB should display a star next to your name if it indeed recognizes you as an admin).

@Nizzu, it is currently not possible to change or disable CTRL toggling (without the use of a mod). When I paste something into the console I just press CTRL again, I already have one finger on the key anyway.

Share this comment

I believe it's Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\adminlist.txt. I'm not sure though if it applies for all save slots or each one has separate location.

Share this comment