Connection Problem

LordChicken
  • Closed

Hello there, i have a problem about connecting to the servers.

I can join the server, chat and choose the character, but when i travel across the portal, i can still chat for a little bit but as soon as i move like 1 meter around i get the no signal connection and i get stuck, being no longer able to chat or move.

I can play no problem with any other online game, and i tried turning off the antivirus but i kept experiencing the same problem, i also tried verifying in game cache but nothing, what is weird is that like last winter i used to play and i didn't have these kind of problems (i mean sometimes i experienced lag because my connection is not the best but i could still play), but now that i decided to try and play again i get this problem, and i don't know how to solve it, can someone help me?

I posted my client log here in case is needed.

Sorry for bad english and thanks in advance!

Steps to Reproduce
I don't really think is a bug, but more of a problem related to me only (a mod told me to post this here, because i didn't know where to post this), still if you could help me i would be very happy!

User Feedback

Hey @LordChicken, game issues isolated or not would best be reported to the bug tracker in case it isn't an isolated issue. Question, is the client_log.txt file the log file that was generated directly after being disconnected from a server? Just making sure, if you're not sure if it is then try and generate a new one but only doing exactly the following.

• Play
  • Browse Games
  • Online Tab, join any public dedicated server (preferrably Klei Official Servers)
  • Once in game, make the game disconnect you by doing what you did before.
  • Once disconnected from server, quit DST.
  • Get the latest client_log.txt file and attach it again below. You can attach it in comment replies.

Sorry for the hassle.

Upon further inspection, the log seems to cover the when the game disconnects you out of the blue:

[00:04:26]: [Steam] Game Connection terminated (2324547978|1031)

How was your ping when you joined the server? Red/Yellow/Green? It seems like you have very poor connection which causes you to get disconnected/kicked the moment you move your character. I'm just guessing at it atm.

Share this comment

9 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Hey @LordChicken, game issues isolated or not would best be reported to the bug tracker in case it isn't an isolated issue. Question, is the client_log.txt file the log file that was generated directly after being disconnected from a server? Just making sure, if you're not sure if it is then try and generate a new one but only doing exactly the following.

• Play
  • Browse Games
  • Online Tab, join any public dedicated server (preferrably Klei Official Servers)
  • Once in game, make the game disconnect you by doing what you did before.
  • Once disconnected from server, quit DST.
  • Get the latest client_log.txt file and attach it again below. You can attach it in comment replies.

Sorry for the hassle.

Upon further inspection, the log seems to cover the when the game disconnects you out of the blue:

[00:04:26]: [Steam] Game Connection terminated (2324547978|1031)

How was your ping when you joined the server? Red/Yellow/Green? It seems like you have very poor connection which causes you to get disconnected/kicked the moment you move your character. I'm just guessing at it atm.

My ping was around 82 or something like that, and also my connection is not that bad XD, i mean i’m able to play other online games, and the only one since now that is giving me problem is don’t starve together, and as said before, like last winter I could play it without these problems...

Also maybe i should precise that the disconnect happens when i press the disconnect button after i’m stuck for like minutes and I don’t know what else to do, i mean the server until now never kicked me, maybe if I wait more time it will do it, never tried...

Also what hassle? you are trying to help me! Do you still need another client log?

Share this comment

Ok so, basically you get stuck in place but still able to chat? Has this only happened in one server? Or has it happened across multiple servers for you? (join other player-hosted or dedicated servers and see if the issue happens even then). I know you've said you can play other online games normally, I'm specifically asking whether or not the issue still exists for you when you join DST servers run by other people other than the one server you mentioned earlier. So check if it really is an isolated issue with DST.

Also if you have any active client mods on, disable all of them.

Join multiple servers and see if issue still happens (stuck in place?):

• Try servers that has no mods.
  • Try dedicated servers.
  • Try player-hosted servers (non-dedicated).
  • Try hosting your own server too without any server mods.
Edited by Zillvr

Share this comment

15 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Ok so, basically you get stuck in place but still able to chat? Has this only happened in one server? Or has it happened across multiple servers for you? (join other player-hosted or dedicated servers and see if the issue happens even then). I know you've said you can play other online games normally, I'm specifically asking whether or not the issue still exists for you when you join DST servers run by other people other than the one server you mentioned earlier. So check if it really is an isolated issue with DST.

Also if you have any active client mods on, disable all of them.

Join multiple servers and see if issue still happens (stuck in place?):

• Try servers that has no mods.
  • Try dedicated servers.
  • Try player-hosted servers (non-dedicated).
  • Try hosting your own server too without any server mods.

Eh i think i misspoke before, when i "get stuck" i do effectively lose the connection, since i get the empty square with a line in the middle and i can't move and neither chat, what i was saying before is that the server doesn't kick me and i have to disconnect manually, but since i have never experience these problems before, i don't know if the server is supposed to automatically kick me when i lose the connection or if i would remain forever in the server, being unable to do anything.

I have no clients mod enabled (but i did have them enabled in the past and they didn't cause these problems)

I joined different servers, with or without mods, dedicated or not and i still encountered the same problem, however when hosting my server i didn't get this problem (i should also mention that in one server i checked the TAB button and the game said that my connection was either Ok or good, and the ping when i joined was 82, in other servers it was kinda the same)

I think the misunderestandig before might have been caused by my poor english, i'm trying my best to write, sorry

Share this comment

@LordChicken does the symbol you see look like this: desync from server

That icon means you've got really bad connection to the server. Despite having "good" or low ping, you seem to be experiencing a lag spike for some reason. Do you perhaps have other programs opened that requires the internet (internet browser, discord, skype, etc.)? If you do, try and close everything else and only have DST opened and see if you still get the icon and non-responsive movement (moving in place, etc).

Perhaps, also try and disable your antivirus, sometimes that may cause issues for DST. Worth a try.

Share this comment

13 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@LordChicken does the symbol you see look like this: desync from server

That icon means you've got really bad connection to the server. Despite having "good" or low ping, you seem to be experiencing a lag spike for some reason. Do you perhaps have other programs opened that requires the internet (internet browser, discord, skype, etc.)? If you do, try and close everything else and only have DST opened and see if you still get the icon and non-responsive movement (moving in place, etc).

Perhaps, also try and disable your antivirus, sometimes that may cause issues for DST. Worth a try.

Yeah is that symbol!

Tried closing every program i had opened (just skype) and the problem still occurs (lol if it was skype's fault i would be quite shocked), i tried turning off the antivirus again and still nothing...

I added another client log if you need it

client_log.txt

Share this comment

Sorry, I forgot you already mentioned turning off your antivirus. To be honest, I'm stumped on this one. Although there are some other methods we haven't tried yet. Here's a Klei Support Article: Network and Performance Troubleshooting Guide. See if any of the other methods there would work. If one of them does work, do report back which you did to fix it.

Hopefully it does get fixed cause I'm running out of ideas. I'm sorry.

• Like 1

Share this comment

19 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Sorry, I forgot you already mentioned turning off your antivirus. To be honest, I'm stumped on this one. Although there are some other methods we haven't tried yet. Here's a Klei Support Article: Network and Performance Troubleshooting Guide. See if any of the other methods there would work. If one of them does work, do report back which you did to fix it.

Hopefully it does get fixed cause I'm running out of ideas. I'm sorry.

Aw this sucks, well still thanks for trying to help me and spending your time.

Actually at the moment i’m having problem with my router, when it will be fixed i will write an update, hoping that all these problems were router’s fault (i don’t really believe that tho...)

Share this comment

Ok, i fixed my connection problems and now don’t starve together works too!

Thanks for helping Zillvr, everything should work now!

• Like 1

Share this comment

Oh hey @LordChicken, if you've got time can you go over what you specifically did on your router to fix the issue? It seems like there are other people experiencing the same thing and I was hoping your fix could work for them too. At the very least the general gist of what you did would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Oh hey @LordChicken, if you've got time can you go over what you specifically did on your router to fix the issue? It seems like there are other people experiencing the same thing and I was hoping your fix could work for them too. At the very least the general gist of what you did would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Oh, well, actually i haven’t really “fixed” anything...

My general internet performance was bad so i changed my connection to, I don’t really know how to tell this in English..., a fiber one? I mean we bought a new router and a new contract and it changed everything, the internet performance improved in general and now i can i play dst again.

However it still remains a mistery why my dst behaved like that, always kicking me and only after a few seconds after passing the portal.

I had to change the internet type either way, so i don’t really know how to fix this problem with another method, since i still don’t understand what caused it, maybe the internet connection, or who knows.... Sorry i couldn’t help!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment