Moon Trees Can Go Extinct B/c Nothing Exists For It In desolationregrowth.lua

lakhnish
  • Fixed

Although Moon Trees have their own Desolation_Respawn_Time in tuning.lua, they aren't actually affected by Desolation Regrowth at all. 

Reason being (I think) is that nothing exists for the moon trees in desolationregrowth.lua (lines 164-184), unlike all the other trees .

Spoiler

self:SetSpawningForType("evergreen", "pinecone_sapling", TUNING.EVERGREEN_REGROWTH.DESOLATION_RESPAWN_TIME, {"evergreen"}, function()
    return (_worldstate.issummer and 2) or (_worldstate.iswinter and 0) or 1
end)
self:SetSpawningForType("evergreen_sparse", "lumpy_sapling", TUNING.EVERGREEN_SPARSE_REGROWTH.DESOLATION_RESPAWN_TIME, {"evergreen_sparse"}, function()
    return 1
end)
self:SetSpawningForType("twiggytree", "twiggy_nut_sapling", TUNING.TWIGGY_TREE_REGROWTH.DESOLATION_RESPAWN_TIME, {"twiggytree"}, function()
    return 1
end)
self:SetSpawningForType("deciduoustree", "acorn_sapling", TUNING.DECIDUOUS_REGROWTH.DESOLATION_RESPAWN_TIME, {"deciduoustree"}, function()
    return (not _worldstate.isspring and 0) or 1
end)
self:SetSpawningForType("mushtree_tall", "mushtree_tall", TUNING.MUSHTREE_REGROWTH.DESOLATION_RESPAWN_TIME, {"mushtree"}, function()
    return (not _worldstate.iswinter and 0) or 1
end)
self:SetSpawningForType("mushtree_medium", "mushtree_medium", TUNING.MUSHTREE_REGROWTH.DESOLATION_RESPAWN_TIME, {"mushtree"}, function()
    return (not _worldstate.issummer and 0) or 1
end)
self:SetSpawningForType("mushtree_small", "mushtree_small", TUNING.MUSHTREE_REGROWTH.DESOLATION_RESPAWN_TIME, {"mushtree"}, function()
    return (not _worldstate.isspring and 0) or 1
end)

My test: I cleared out all the Moon Trees on the Lunar Island, LongUpdated the game a few hundred days, and no more Moon Trees spawned.

Steps to Reproduce
Clear out all the Moon Trees on the Lunar Island. LongUpdate the game a few hundred days. See that Moon Trees have gone extinct.
  • Like 2

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Yes, they can go extinct, but you can replant them.

Gotta keep an eye on them and preserve them.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

9 hours ago, -Variant said:

Yes, they can go extinct, but you can replant them.

Gotta keep an eye on them and preserve them.

I'm aware of that, as that is what you're going to have to do under its current implementation. A similar arguement could also be said for evergreens, yet they properly regrow via desolation regrowth.

Having said that, since the Moon Trees were given a desolation regrowth timer in tuning.lua (total_day_time*50, iirc), but nothing in desolationregrowth.lua, its hard to tell if moon trees not regrowing at all (outside of butterfly planting) is the intention.

At one point, Red Mushtrees would not regrow because of a typo in desolationregrowth.lua. It could be a similar thing going on here due to an unintended oversight. It also seems like they were using evergreens.lua as a reference for Moon Trees, which could have lead to this, as desolation regrowth isn't really exlicitly stated in evergreen.lua (irrc) and there are dev comments in there says something about possibly having to revisit parts of moontree.lua.

Time will tell though once they start looking at the RoT Bug Tracker, since they seem busy atm.

Edited by lakhnish
"simliar arguement";"hard to tell"; "it also seems ... iirc)"; swapped around exlplicitly stated and dev comments portion to more accurately reflect dev comments.
  • Like 1

Share this comment

The moon trees should be hooked up with desolation respawning as of 

...though we've decided to use the evergreen tuning value for now, so the moon tree regrowth value is still not currently in use.

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

On 7/23/2019 at 1:17 PM, StevenM said:

The moon trees should be hooked up with desolation respawning as of 

...though we've decided to use the evergreen tuning value for now, so the moon tree regrowth value is still not currently in use.

Thanks! I assume it will be used at some point in the game. If that's the case and it's close to official release, I'll do a reminder report then if it's missed.

Share this comment