DST Crashes upon opening from Steam

ztsb45
  • Fixed

Upon attempting to open Don't Starve Together, a fullscreen window opens with a fully black canvas for nor more than two or three seconds before it closes.

I have unsubscribed from all DST steam mods, cleared my mods folder, and performed the Verify Integrity action. I have also updated my Graphics driver and tried various recommendations related to the NVIDIA Control Pannel suggested from the support page located here: http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1854779-dst-is-crashing-dst-won-t-start

The Client log has a stack traceback that points out a failure to index a specific field, which I assume is the cause of the issue, but I do not know how to resolve it, myself.

The client log is provided, but here is the stack traceback for ease of access:
[00:00:02]: [string "scripts/map/levels.lua"]:106: attempt to index field 'id' (a nil value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        scripts/map/levels.lua(106,1) in function 'GetDataForLevelID'
        scripts/map/levels.lua(222,1) in function 'AddLevel'
        scripts/map/levels/forest.lua(50,1) in main chunk
        =[C] in function 'require'
        scripts/map/levels.lua(242,1) in main chunk
        scripts/saveindex.lua(3,1) in main chunk
        scripts/main.lua(195,1) in main chunk

It is worth noting that this *doesn't happen* when I try to open Don't Starve Together while on the Steam Beta branch for Return of Them. While on the Return of Them Beta branch, the game opens and appears to start just fine, although deemed hazardous by my firewall and denied network access. That's a problem with a relatively simple solution.

Don't Starve (Base game and all DLC) also works just fine.

I apologize for the edit, originally I wrote that this only happens on the beta branch, but that was a slip of the mind. This only happens in l base Don't Starve Together, and does not happen on the beta branch.

Originally this bug report was made in the correct thread, but it appears to have been moved because of my error. I believe it should belong in the regular Don't Starve Together thread.

Steps to Reproduce
Attempted to open the game through steam directly, and through the executable at steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together/bin/dontstarve_steam.exe
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Close DST
In steam, right click on DST and select properties. In the Local Files tab, click Browse Local Files.
In the windows explorer window that just popped up, go into the directories: data\databundles
Delete scripts.zip
Verify Integrity of game files via Steam
Try to run DST

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

3 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Close DST
In steam, right click on DST and select properties. In the Local Files tab, click Browse Local Files.
In the windows explorer window that just popped up, go into the directories: data\databundles
Delete scripts.zip
Verify Integrity of game files via Steam
Try to run DST

This recommendation does not appear to have worked, unfortunately. Attached is the new client log, though it doesn't appear particularly different after a quick skim.

client_log_2019-05-28-17-57-34.txt

Share this comment

I'm going to guess that your profile file has been corrupted. 
Could you please go into \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\<steam_id>\client_save and send me the file named "profile"? Feel free to attach it or send me it privately if you want. (you may need to add ".txt" to the file name if the forums say the file is restricted)
After sending me the file, with DST closed, rename yours to profile_backup. Launch DST and see if the issue is resolved.
Unfortunately, this files stores your world gen presets, key bindings, settings and skins layout, so these will be reset to defaults.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment