Messin' With Fan Art

Thanks again for drawing it! I can't wait for the actual comic! I just love having refs of things, and I really love your modern Wilson design. Expect some fanart of him! (if I can ever get around to actually drawing anything.............)

I wouldn't worry about a shirtless guy much, as my understanding of the forum rules are as long as it's not sexually explicit/or has a bunch of gore in It you should be fine.

Technically -- yes, but since a good half of the forumers are male and may be browsing from work, a picture of a shirtless guy that looks just so pin up may be unsafe :grin:

I mean look at him. Holy moles.

tumblr_inline_mzzelf7kcl1rlpk9c.gif

Anyway, whatever you draw will be greatly appreciated.  :love_heart:

That's so sweet of you. 

PFFFfff, questionable? It's normal, i mean, there is nothing extraordinary in it. 

Okaaaay, I guess I feel better now :)

Right, I just dropped an intro for the comic on Tumblr, reblogging!
I think it would be a good idea to set the deadline release date to check with. Otherwise coming soon may stretch, like, greatly. I know myself too well.
Now, I bet you see where the story goes?...

tumblr_n5hakcOJRi1taw94go1_1280.jpg
Edited by Rocky Springs
  • Like 5

Technically -- yes, but since a good half of the forumers are male and may be browsing from work, a picture of a shirtless guy that looks just so pin up may be unsafe :grin:

I mean look at him. Holy moles.

Uhm... No... It's just nothing. I don't know... I mean, we are see something like that every day in the mirror. Show me man who wasn't in public lockers rooms(The man who was not involved in the sport and never went on a public beach, swimming pool, sauna with friends. Such person is just miserable one.) He isn't naked after all.

Pin up picture with woman is exciting and can make man shy, but in good way. 

your grasp on human anatomy is FLAWLESS. I actually made an account just to ask you, personally; how did you practice to get to the point you're at today? Do you methodically use references for your drawing, and copy from there, or is most of it freehand? It's such a lovely art style and I am immensely jealous, and hope I'll reach the level you're at someday. 

Also, shirtless Wilson. <3

snapback.png

Uhm... No... It's just nothing. I don't know... I mean, we are see something like that every day in the mirror. Show me man who wasn't in public lockers rooms(The man who was not involved in the sport and never went on a public beach, swimming pool, sauna with friends. Such person is just miserable one.) He isn't naked after all.

Pin up picture with woman is exciting and can make man shy, but in good way. 

Very true. Must be the projection of my own fears, huh :-)

Huh, about first page. It's very cool. Seriously. Good way to introduce our hero in that century. Really good. 

Yeah, deadlines.. :nightmare: . Yeah... Time to Work... 

Thanks :-) I hope I didn't show too much of a storyline, though ^__^ overly informative trailers kill the whole thing.

Bekuno, on 13 May 2014 - 02:58 AM, said:snapback.png

You know who's screaming about this?
I am.
A lot.

Edit: Also, shirtless Wilson, hellooooooo~ <3

Hello there, handsome, you got a girlf... oh you do. Suuuhreeh :<

FieldNotes, on 13 May 2014 - 9:35 PM, said:snapback.png

your grasp on human anatomy is FLAWLESS. I actually made an account just to ask you, personally; how did you practice to get to the point you're at today? Do you methodically use references for your drawing, and copy from there, or is most of it freehand? It's such a lovely art style and I am immensely jealous, and hope I'll reach the level you're at someday. 

Also, shirtless Wilson. <3

Joining the forums only to talk to me? Wow. Like. Wow. I couldn't even think of such an impact on anyone. That's simply amazing, what else to add here? OwO

Actually -- and I should have said (or did I?) it long before -- I am a fine arts college graduate, which means five years of essential academic drawing. I started as a self-taught, though, and I was self-taught until the late 2009, when I joined the college apparently. I tried to study anatomy by myself, but what I seriously lacked -- is understanding. I had fabulous old school teachers who gave it me. The ability to see the shape and analyze it. My previous experience -- that usually included sketching toons and wasting paper -- allowed me to grasp the physics. This and college daily drill resulted in my current skills.

References -- I use them, but mostly in terms of overall image rather than a pose or a face expression. i.e. while working on Wilson's, ahem, looks on the above picture, I referred the photos of this guy. He seemed to be just the right type, except for the amount of muscles, haha :grin: but as for the rest, 10 out of 10 pictures are drawn freehand.

vingw, on 14 May 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:snapback.png

... what I said 10 months ago remains true!

Thanks =)))

Most awfully sorry for the mess, the multiquote button doesn't seem to work properly in Google Chrome -_____-;

Edited by Rocky Springs
  • Like 1

Very true. Must be the projection of my own fears, huh :-)

Thanks :-) I hope I didn't show too much of a storyline, though ^__^ overly informative trailers kill the whole thing.

Those fears just fine.

About storyline: Just perfect. You said as much as you need for a good pre-history.

Those fears just fine.

About storyline: Just perfect. You said as much as you need for a good pre-history.

Awesome! :-) Thank you.

I'm most awfully sorry for the abrupt disappearance, I was cut out of Internet for a few days. It started with a network cable -- that I quickly replaced -- and an untimely death of my good old Korean ADSL after 8 years of excellent service. They must have loved each other XD Shortly afterwards mom brought me a written-off but functioning ADSL from her office; it functioned for a whole day before glitching and refusing to authenticate. I logged in to modem settings trying to find out the problem, input all the missing addresses and... ended up not being able even to access modem settings again. I gave up and called tech support, they told me the numbers I input are correct but I need a new ID and password. Derp. I got them like a good guy Greg, but it didn't work. So I had to call IT engineer to come around and fix it for me. OH. MAN. What a quest XD

Anyway, three days remaining until the day I present my final work, and less than 20 days before the graduation ceremony. I officially declare that The Alchemist is finished,.. and that I'm not allowed to take it home. Well, maybe in five years, after they obtain accreditation and all the papers are fine. But I'm, like really, really not sure I'll stay in this town for five more years. At least that's not desired. Barista is a great job to have; temporarily. What I want to do for a living is art, though. Klei, do you guys need an artist?

I'm also happy to announce the Don't Starve comic you've been waiting for a year is going to be here in a few days. First ten pages are almost ready for publication. Meanwhile, here's a little something I made for @Miss, for it was her birthday recently. :wilson_smile:  True, she's had a bunch of winged Wilsons already, but I couldn't help it. He looks too epic ^^ like a Valkyrie in a male form.

tumblr_n6lllwsET31taw94go1_1280.jpg

• Like 4

Meanwhile, here's a little something I made for @Miss, for it was her birthday recently. :wilson_smile:  True, she's had a bunch of winged Wilsons already, but I couldn't help it. He looks too epic ^^ like a Valkyrie in a male form.

(img)

I've said it on Tumblr and DA and I'm saying it again, I really like this. The choice of colours, those fluffy wings and Wilson's pose. Thank you so much Rocky ^^

I've said it on Tumblr and DA and I'm saying it again, I really like this. The choice of colours, those fluffy wings and Wilson's pose. Thank you so much Rocky ^^

*runs and glomps*  :victorious:

Oh shoot. I have to give my word not to give a word. Guys, just as a small reminder: I haven't forgotten about the comic, which is more -- I'm working on it. Graduation and rising amount of work at the coffee shop left me a bit jaded by the beginning of June, but even then nine pages are already finished and the 10th one is getting under way. Just give me a few more days.

• Like 1

Guys... turns out I finally made it!

Pinch me somebody. No, I'm not sleeping, I actually did it! First 10 pages of XXI have arrived!

Oh, shoot, it's true. Guys, I'm trembling, still can't believe it. What do you usually do in these situations? Ummmm, credits? Yeah, that sounds good.

First off, thank you for your patience. This year was totally, immensely, insanely productive; however, as a perfectionist and a true workaholic, I kept 90% of the project away from the public. Really, I've never drawn up a project this big in such a short period of time (and 12 months IS a short period of time). The script is a little bit raw yet, but it has a structure. I have been changing it until recently and I'll keep changing it where needed.

Secondly. @klei, thank you guys for providing the necessary information about the characters, and in particular the last update, concerning Willow and Wilson's age. This is exactly what I needed to know. It's also good to know you did not give Wilson any exact location, because, well, I did and changing it would seriously disrupt the story ^^; And, of course, thank you so much for the Fan Art Spotlight article.

Ironically, Tumblr allows to upload only 10 images in a set. Well, be so, 10 images is the exact number required. Put your seats in an upright position, lift and stow your tray tables, and fasten your seatbelts. We're setting off.

tumblr_n7es53BCYe1taw94go3_1280.jpg

Actually, I'm pretty good at landscapes, but since I've never been to NYC, using stock images was the best decision. I don't want to lie to you.

tumblr_n7es53BCYe1taw94go4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7es53BCYe1taw94go1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7es53BCYe1taw94go2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7es53BCYe1taw94go6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7es53BCYe1taw94go5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7es53BCYe1taw94go7_1280.jpg

Oh look who's showing off her fetishes again! The song is A Light That Never Goes Out by Morrissey, by the way.

tumblr_n7es53BCYe1taw94go8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7es53BCYe1taw94go9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7es53BCYe1taw94go10_1280.jpg

I hope it was good enough of a beginning, come back for updates! ;)

• Like 6

SECONDING THE NAKED WILSON MOTION JEEZUS

And I got to see my darling Willow looking pretty <3

I dunno what I was expecting but this is just 100% perfect. The art, the intro, bedhead Wilson, Wilson singing in the shower, Wes (your Wes is probably the only Wes I'll ever like *snort* he's cute), Wolfgang, and just everythinggggg. Every little thing A+

I anxiously await more uvu

Edit: Showed this to my friend who's staying over, she has a thing for your wes apparently.

Edited by Bekuno

What is the #'s thing? Well. I guess, that I don't even want to know this.

It looks interesting for me. And both characters actually look pretty alive. That's good.
Hey, Willow, with her fire-show :-)
Wes, well... I believe he would speak like this, if could to do it in the game. And he is a good guy. Except choice of glasses.
(Am I only one who hates this kind of glasses? I will say more... Is someone can call this thing - glasses?)
I can't wait to see Wendy!

"He looks something like... this?" An adorable moment!

Edited by PatchDotexe

Promising start! While it's obviously too early to talk about the comics' plot, the premise is intriguing: I want to see more of the characters and how the story is going to play out in this very different setting.

The slightly sketchy artstyle and limited colour palette make it look very lively (and I have no idea how art critique works).

Also, hooray for fanservice!

Some work-in-progress. I can't say it's finished yet. I'd like to do some more work on Wendy and Wesley. Aaaand do something to Wilson's face, it looks kinda, uh... dead? Anyway. Here's a stub of the plot. If there's any grammar mistakes, most awfully sorry ^^;

Some people are thought to have come from another planet. So is Wilson. Looking at him, one would seriously reckon he arrived from the previous century. His politeness is disarming and even the worst-mannered ladies turn into prim young things in front of him. You'd never hear a swearword, nor a filthy joke escaping his lips, he doesn't share pics of his breakfast on Instagram, you will not find him on Twitter; and -- oh goodness -- he spends quite a few minutes to type his own posts on facebook. Today, even this is fairly enough to consider someone a weirdo.

Wilson is a genius. He's truly a genius with IQ of 140. He's young, courteous, heavenly-looking and... short. The straight A student, sporting the Mensa Society ring. A gentleman, looking at the world through unfazed eyes. However, for some reasons his interest in science abruptly vanished and he quit the university without any explanation thereof. He started working as a bartender at the just-opened rockabilly bar, B-52, but two years later, administration's persistent attempts to satisfy as wider audience as possible forced him to give notice. In quite a short while he got a new job, as a system administrator. Everything seemed perfect, on the surface. Until he met the new boss -- the Who-Do-You-Think;

William Carter. That's right, he's the guy. =) And his plans on Wilson go far beyond the system maintenance. So far he's being very subtle about his intentions, but Wilson is not quite sure he wants to know what they are.

Wes retained his original occupation. He's a street performer. Mostly a living statue and occassionally (when in a better mood) a mime. And hence he's not allowed to talk at work, you'll need quite an effort to shut him up on his free time. A live wire with a huge smile on his face, sometimes he's a little bit too insistent. Very emotional and vulnerable, despite looking shallow.

Willow is B-52 employee as well. She's a fire dancer (yeah, WTF; remember what I said about the wider audience?), which is logical, since she's a pyro. Gone crazy for Wilson at the first sight (okay, okay, at the second) and he responded but, unfortunately, on the rebound after a sudden and painful breakup with his girlfriend. As it happens in cases like this, the romance was bright and short, and died very quickly, mostly because of Willow's sadistic inclinations.

Wendy has been mourning her sister Abigail for two years, blaming herself for her death. Wilson's childhood friend, she remains a sister figure for him. Unlike Willow, who splashes all her trouble on others, Wendy suffers in silence. The outcome of it may be all kinds of terrible.

Wolfgang is a yet another B-52 worker. He's a bouncer, an epic guy with some epic 'stache and epic tattoos. A big dog of the company, mostly nice and harmless but don't you mess with him.

Still thinking of what to do to Wickerbottom, I guess she's going to be a personnel manager at Carter's company. Next -- background characters. They are all original, so we'd better examine them guys separately.

Woah... I'm Wes

Awesome, multiquote button and Chrome finally get along, that's good to know. :-)

...This is glorious.

Can we keep Wilson naked for the entire thing? *nosebleed*

Butbutbut... I wanted to show off his dapper wardrobe?  :wilsondisappointed: 

SECONDING THE NAKED WILSON MOTION JEEZUS

And I got to see my darling Willow looking pretty <3

I dunno what I was expecting but this is just 100% perfect. The art, the intro, bedhead Wilson, Wilson singing in the shower, Wes (your Wes is probably the only Wes I'll ever like *snort* he's cute), Wolfgang, and just everythinggggg. Every little thing A+

I anxiously await more uvu

Edit: Showed this to my friend who's staying over, she has a thing for your wes apparently.

Aww, my most devoted reader ^__^ Thank you.

Wes, you gotta love this little bastard =D funny that he won my heart, too, even though people like this usually disgust me. I guess that's because I know what his true colors are.

What is the #'s thing? Well. I guess, that I don't even want to know this.

It looks interesting for me. And both characters actually look pretty alive. That's good.
Hey, Willow, with her fire-show :-)
Wes, well... I believe he would speak like this, if could to do it in the game. And he is a good guy. Except choice of glasses.
(Am I only one who hates this kind of glasses? I will say more... Is someone can call this thing - glasses?)
I can't wait to see Wendy!

"He looks something like... this?" An adorable moment!

# (harshmark) is initially a music symbol now frequently used in subtitles, denotes [in subtitles] singing. I thought if Don't Starve exploits the silent movie culture, subtitles should perfectly fit into it.

As I said before, Wes looks shallow, but on the surface. He grew up in slums where bling bling and swag run the show, and this tendency remains even now's that he left his hometown. So yeah, he has a passion for, ehm, odd accessories.

I'm a bit unsure on Wendy's part, mostly because I've never worked with characters like her, so it's going to be a writing debut of sorts. Hopefully she will be fine. ^_____^

Promising start! While it's obviously too early to talk about the comics' plot, the premise is intriguing: I want to see more of the characters and how the story is going to play out in this very different setting.
The slightly sketchy artstyle and limited colour palette make it look very lively (and I have no idea how art critique works).

Also, hooray for fanservice!

Thanks! Actually even I wonder how it would play out. I mean, it's a completely full re-enact with only a reference to the game, would the characters be able to exist outside the canon world? I don't know. Let's find out. More hairy Wilsons for the god of hairy Wilsons!!!

Woah... I'm Wes

Oh you :grin:

Edited by Rocky Springs

Holy molly, guys, look what I've found! A piece of my final project on it's under construction phase:

post-250429-0-28528400-1404068160_thumb.

And here is the final version:

post-250429-0-79147200-1404068566_thumb.

You can see I flipped the canvas; (tech drawing on the right for comparison) it was a spontaneous decision made by one of my teachers and supported by the rest, including myself. I'm all in all happy with the results, even though there could be more of it. Pardon the terrible flashes on the dark parts, the shooting conditions were far from perfect. I highly recommend to check it out in full-res.

Goodbye, my alchemist. I will miss you.

• Like 14

# (harshmark) is initially a music symbol now frequently used in subtitles, denotes singing. I thought if Don't Starve exploits the silent movie culture, subtitles should perfectly fit into it.

As I said before, Wes looks shallow, but on the surface. He grew up in slums where bling bling and swag run the show, and this tendency remains even now's that he left his hometown. So yeah, he has a passion for, ehm, odd accessories.

I'm a bit unsure on Wendy's part, mostly because I've never worked with characters like her, so it's going to be a writing debut of sorts. Hopefully she will be fine. ^_____^

Huh.. Every day is a school day.  

Well, I didn't have any reason to doubt about the Wendy's part, because Wilson's and Wes's parts are great.

About Picture... Oh... My... lovely... homeland.... This is impressive. I can't describe how much is it impressive! На любом языке. Прекрасная картина. Я не представляю сколько работы было в неё вложено. Сколько стараний и времени...

Holy molly, guys, look what I've found! A piece of my final project on it's under construction phase:

attachicon.gifФото548.jpg

And here is the final version:

attachicon.gifDSC_0435.JPG

You can see I flipped the canvas; (tech drawing on the right for comparison) it was a spontaneous decision made by one of my teachers and supported by the rest, including myself. I'm all in all happy with the results, even though there could be more of it. Pardon the terrible flashes on the dark parts, the shooting conditions were far from perfect. I highly recommend to check it out in full-res.

Goodbye, my alchemist. I will miss you.

Whoa, this looks great! Thanks for sharing it with us.